How Have Rams Addressed Biggest Weaknesses from 2014?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-rams-addressed-biggest-weaknesses-from-2014

How Have St. Louis Rams Addressed Biggest Weaknesses from 2014?
By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist

hi-res-3afcbe9f46c6c5716ee327ed51e77980_crop_north.jpg

The St. Louis Rams entered the 2015 offseason with several clear weaknesses. For the most part, the Rams were able to fill their needs and improve the roster.

Unfortunately, not every need was thoroughly addressed. With a finite number of draft picks and limited funds in free agency, every team finds it difficult to fully plug every leak in a single offseason.

This article will outline the top five St. Louis needs and determine whether the Rams properly filled those needs.

Right Tackle
hi-res-837564991e7b3f7118cbb998ea07bdfa_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

The right tackle position was a major concern immediately following the 2014 season. Joe Barksdale hit free agency and was one of many starters on the offensive line to depart the team.

Veteran Rodger Saffold has experience at both tackle positions and could have covered the spot if needed, but that would have left the interior line extremely vulnerable. Instead, the Rams turned to the draft for a long-term replacement.

Rob Havenstein of Wisconsin was selected by the Rams in the second round. At 6'7" and 321 pounds, Havenstein is a run-blocking monster and helped propel running back Melvin Gordon to a phenomenal 2014 season (2,587 rushing yards, 29 touchdowns).

However, the Rams aren't depending solely on Havenstein to hold down the job. They covered their bets by drafting Louisville's Jamon Brown in the third round and Iowa's Andrew Donnal in the fourth.

Brown and Donnal both have experience at tackle and should push for the job if Havenstein struggles.

Sixth-round selection Cody Wichmann of Fresno State also has some experience at right tackle, but his most recent position is guard. That's likely where he'll remain for the time being.

The Rams failed to create a veteran presence at the position. But with four rookie draft picks added, no one can say this need was ignored.

Guard
hi-res-4731e6960e1cf859aef226a0b7e6aaeb_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

Havenstein is the front-runner for the right tackle job—if for no other reason than his second-round status. If he grabs that job, the other three rookie linemen will battle for the final spot at guard.

Brown and Donnal are both excellent run blockers and one of the two should win out. Wichmann will also compete, but the late-round talent will probably be depended on as depth, more than anything, in his first year.

The lack of veteran experience is a gamble, but the Rams clearly put some effort into filling this position with draft picks.

Center
hi-res-decaffaa30fd1c07538a107a595cc2cd_crop_north.jpg

L.G. Patterson/Associated Press

Still Lacking

St. Louis' lack of action at the center position is a little concerning. Scott Wells is no longer with the team, and the remaining centers have started a combined four games at the NFL level.

All four of those starts belong to Tim Barnes, which is why the fourth-year veteran is the favorite. He'll compete with 2013 fourth-round pick Barrett Jones and 2014 seventh-round pick Demetrius Rhaney.

None of the three players are new additions, which means the Rams did nothing to address the need at center. St. Louis will depend on three very inexperienced veterans to compete, which is a huge gamble considering the offensive line is already likely to feature two rookies.

Barnes was not a total liability in his four games as a starter, and Jones had a good training camp last year. Even so, this will be a position of concern entering the 2015 season.

Wide Receiver
hi-res-32b41b7576d512a018f9bb54178d96e5_crop_north.jpg

Ed Zurga/Getty Images

Still Lacking

The Rams seem content with the current receivers. At this point, it's too late not to be.

St. Louis apparently recognized it had a slight need at the position, hence the selection of Bud Sasser in the sixth round. Unfortunately, it was recently reported that Sasser has been released from the team, per Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com. Sasser evidently suffers from a pre-existing heart condition that went totally undetected throughout his collegiate career and the pre-draft process, forcing the Rams to part ways.

Other than Sasser, the Rams did little to build up the receiver position.

St. Louis' top receiver—Jared Cook—had just 52 catches, and Kenny Britt led the team in yardage with a mere 748. There's clearly a lack of production, but the Rams are probably willing to place the blame on poor play-calling, along with injuries at the quarterback position.

The team focused specifically on building the run game this offseason. If the receivers continue to underproduce with Nick Foles at quarterback, you can count on the team to focus more resources at wide receiver in 2016.

Outside Linebacker
hi-res-1d38fa6bf85dad7a9067d451eb4aa07c_crop_north.jpg

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

Good

Outside linebacker was not a glaring need entering the offseason, but it's certainly a spot that required some attention.

The Rams released Ray-Ray Armstrong several weeks into the 2014 season due to his natural inclination to commit absurd penalties at the most inconvenient moments imaginable. Meanwhile, veteran Jo-Lonn Dunbar has given the team several years of decent service, but he has declined since the 2012 season.

The Rams took notice and remedied the situation by adding Akeem Ayers in free agency. Ayers has more potential as a pass rusher than any of the current St. Louis linebackers—he had four sacks with theNew England Patriots last season and six with the Tennessee Titans in 2012.

At 255 pounds, he also has about 20 pounds of extra bulk compared to Dunbar and Armstrong. The added size and strength should make him a decent anchor against the run.

St. Louis also added Baylor's Bryce Hager in the seventh round. The late-round prospect will need to be developed, but in the meantime, he'll provide depth and fight for a job on special teams.

The Rams didn't make any blockbuster additions, but the team is basically set at linebacker for 2015.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How did QB not make one of the 5 biggest weaknesses to be addressed?

I understand you don't want to write the same article as everybody else, but listing 5 weaknesses and not covering the biggest seems contrarian purely for the sake of being contrary.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I understand you don't want to write the same article as everybody else, but listing 5 weaknesses and not covering the biggest seems contrarian purely for the sake of being contrary.

Was wondering the same thing. He could have substituted outside linebacker with quarterback, especially after admitting that it was not a glaring need.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Was wondering the same thing. He could have substituted outside linebacker with quarterback, especially after admitting that it was not a glaring need.

Especially as the way Williams sets up his D, outside linebacker isn't a position that plays many snaps. JL and AO are set with Barron or another safety doing the hybrid thing.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Everyone thinks WR is a weakness. I dont think it is. I dont think the coaches do either. Obviously a lot depends on Brian Quick's recovery and whether he can catch up, but if he can we're set at wide-out. We might not have a number 1 stud - but everyone else will compete and rack up catches between them.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Probably because we did have a solid starter in Sam. I don't think injuries came into account with this article. Just positions with glaring needs for starters.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Probably because we did have a solid starter in Sam. I don't think injuries came into account with this article. Just positions with glaring needs for starters.

If he was here it wouldnt have been a "weakness" even if it was an uncertainty, because he looks to be on schedule to play week 1.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Our biggest weakness from Last Season was the fact that we were starting a back-up QB. After addressing that, the biggest weakness would be the O-line. It might just be a matter of semantics, but the fact is last year our biggest problem was at QB and the fact that the defense had a terrible start

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The center position WAS addressed in a very positive fashion...

Removing Wells from the team was addition by subtraction. HUGE!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams biggest weakness on offense is now coaching at the University of Georgia, so yes, I would say they addressed the main weakness.

Big Willie

Starter
My five weaknesses going into the offseason, in no particular order...
  • Quarterback - based on injury history of SB
  • Right Tackle
  • Right Guard
  • Center
  • Free Safety
I would say ILB is the 6th with questionable depth and JL getting up in age (more susceptible to injury). I like our WRs, and with Barron as a hybrid player; OLB was less of a weakness.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
Oline oline oline.

This scares the crap out of me..I still vividly remember Bulger's last year...they were starting guys off the street due to injuries.