How great is Finnegan?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Disappointments at NFL’s quarter mark: Eli Manning, Ray Rice and more

<a class="postlink" href="http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/01/nfl-quarter-mark-disappointments-eli-manning/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/01/nfl-quarte ... &eref=sihp</a>

By Doug Farrar

14. Cortland Finnegan, CB, Rams: Finnegan has been burned all season, but at least he’s consistent. According to Pro Football Focus’ game-charting metrics, he’s allowed a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating on 19 targets outside — and a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating on 12 targets in the slot. He’s been dealing with thigh injuries since last season, but the more he plays, the more the Rams’ opponents are going to see how much they can light him up.

Also, just FYI, Schotty sucks if you didn't know.

6. Tavon Austin, WR, Rams: Our own Chris Burke recently went into great detail on how the Rams seem incapable or unwilling to use their first-round playmaker in space — an issue that was shown in glaring detail last Thursday night when the 49ers beat St. Louis, 35-11, and Austin caught two passes on eight targets for six yards. This is less on Austin and more on offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who had a full offseason to put together a plan for a player who had electrified the NCAA.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tron said:
6. Tavon Austin, WR, Rams: Our own Chris Burke recently went into great detail on how the Rams seem incapable or unwilling to use their first-round playmaker in space — an issue that was shown in glaring detail last Thursday night when the 49ers beat St. Louis, 35-11, and Austin caught two passes on eight targets for six yards. This is less on Austin and more on offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who had a full offseason to put together a plan for a player who had electrified the NCAA.

Ouch!

But, yeah, pretty much spot on. :grr:

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
Tron said:

Ouch!

...if the big man says we run the rock, we run the rock. Not defending Schotty because he is to blame as well, but you have to think that most OC's would love to use a weapon on offense that could pretty much play any skill position on the field. Heck he can probably pick up the blitz better tahn most of our RBs even at his size.

V3

Hall of Fame
Ky Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
Tron said:

Ouch!

...if the big man says we run the rock, we run the rock. Not defending Schotty because he is to blame as well, but you have to think that most OC's would love to use a weapon on offense that could pretty much play any skill position on the field. Heck he can probably pick up the blitz better tahn most of our RBs even at his size.

At this point, I blame Fisher as much as Schotty. Fisher hired him. Fisher continues to defend him. The same can be said about Walton.

Napa Jack

UDFA
How great is Finnegan?

Not very.

And the point about Austin is one that has all Ram fans scratching their heads. Is it possible the Rams are so weak in other offensive areas that teams can easily scheme Austin? Could it be that simple?

Without a running game, that gives DC's plenty of time and opportunity to focus on defending the pass. So far, advantage defense. Will that change? It could. But I don't see how. But then, I am, fortunately, not inside the head of Schottenheimer.

Next week we just might see how bad this team really is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

seriously, a prefect 158.3 rating no matter where finnegan plays? i knew he was bad this season and given up alot of tds but i didn't realise the opposition completed almost every single pass against him. plus he has made zero plays.

what's up with him? is he just done?

V3

Hall of Fame
kurtfaulk said:

seriously, a prefect 158.3 rating no matter where finnegan plays? i knew he was bad this season and given up alot of tds but i didn't realise the opposition completed almost every single pass against him. plus he has made zero plays.

what's up with him? is he just done?

Yes. He's noticeably slow and weak. I could notice it in preseason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I find it hard to believe Finnegan has "lost it".

Typically I'd suggest CB is not a position where confidence plays as big a factor as others, but in his case, maybe so? Bravado has always been a big part of his game... so maybe he's lost his mojo right now.

If there is something physically wrong, that could explain it as well. But, he's clean on the injury report.

I could be wrong, but I still think he "comes around". But... I also think his contract is in jeopardy this offseason.