How good was TruJo this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A team can only afford about 2 players on the roster being paid at the top at their position.

We know Aaron Donald will be one (perhaps '18, but definitely '19). Some day soon Gurley and Goff.

We also know Ogletree, Barron, Brockers, Quinn, and Whitworth are cap hits north of $10MM/yr in 2018. Woods is close too.

So... With Watkins, Joyner, NRC, and others needing deals... Something has got to give. We need some young players on the cheap.

Granted Austin and maybe a couple of other moves can free up some space, but I don't think Tru fits our cap situation. I just don't. Those dollars need to go toward retaining our mid-tier free agents... or we lose them.

Losing 1 player (Tru at Cornerback) can be filled easier than losing multiple mid-tier guys.

But; the cap is Demoff's job and he's damn good at it.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I was looking for this. I don't know how and who rates the CBs.

RANK

Trumaine-Johnson.jpg

Trumaine Johnson, Rams

Next up: vs. New Orleans Saints, 4:25 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Johnson wasn't the issue in the Rams' loss to Minnesota, giving up just four receptions on eight targets for 32 yards in coverage. It was good enough to keep him in the top 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a wide ranking difference when it comes to Tru. This after week 12.

You're also taking something from the middle of the season. Mine was his 2017 total

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Overall I think PFF has some good stuff. But at times they really do got some head scratchers. Like both Jamis Winston and Marcus Mariota having a higher graded 2017 season then Goff.

Just dont get how allowing 1 TD all year while covering the oppoising teams better WRs equals average. Tru was the best CB on a defense that ranked 6th in passing.

Also, sure seems like a lot of fans are stuck in this sign a player for a bargain or don't sign em at all mode these days. If that were to happen the Rams should would lose a lot of good players.

Not really a bargain but not too 10 money. Because he's not a top 10 cb

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Overall I think PFF has some good stuff. But at times they really do got some head scratchers. Like both Jamis Winston and Marcus Mariota having a higher graded 2017 season then Goff.

Just dont get how allowing 1 TD all year while covering the oppoising teams better WRs equals average. Tru was the best CB on a defense that ranked 6th in passing.

Also, sure seems like a lot of fans are stuck in this sign a player for a bargain or don't sign em at all mode these days. If that were to happen the Rams should would lose a lot of good players.

That already has happened & will continue to be the case.

You will see a coyote those players Sunday if your watching.

The Rams will keep developing & drafting solid players.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
He's going to want at least 12 mil and I'd rather give that to ej Gaines who outplayed him in gainess rookie year. He dropped 4 picks including 2 pick 6s and made too many mental mistakes for costly penalties while quitting on several big conversions. I live in montana, have followed him since college, and while I hope he stays, I dont see it unless he takes a huge pay cut. Frankly if he has the kind of integrity I like in a person he won't listen to his ego, he'll understand that hes underperformed these last 2 years significantly and give the team a break by accepting their offer, which I'm guessing will be very reasonable.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were a team running Carroll's system (zone-heavy with a lot of press coverage), I'd throw a lot of money at Trumaine. He's an outstanding zone CB and would excel in that scheme. In Wade's man-heavy scheme, he's a good #1 CB, but he's not anywhere near elite. The problem is replacing him. I'd see what Malcolm Butler wants coming off a bad year. If he's asking a lot less than Tru, I'd pull the trigger. If Tru and all the top FA CBs are asking about the same, I'd re-sign Tru if the asking price is reasonable.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's going to want at least 12 mil and I'd rather give that to ej Gaines who outplayed him in gainess rookie year. He dropped 4 picks including 2 pick 6s and made too many mental mistakes for costly penalties while quitting on several big conversions. I live in montana, have followed him since college, and while I hope he stays, I dont see it unless he takes a huge pay cut. Frankly if he has the kind of integrity I like in a person he won't listen to his ego, he'll understand that hes underperformed these last 2 years significantly and give the team a break by accepting their offer, which I'm guessing will be very reasonable.

Signing E.J. doesn't make much sense. We traded E.J. because he doesn't fit the scheme. He's best suited for a zone-heavy scheme. He's at home in McDermott's defense.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Tru played well... If he's willing to take a reasonable contract that's cap friendly for us so we can keep building... we should do it. We got to remember with Webster out... if you move on from Tru..you need to replace both your starting CBs... not sure whatever you get at #23 in the 1st round is going to be worth being your #1 CB... Hill played well... and Robey-Coleman did too...but neither should be in your top 2 CBs....

that being the case, Tru actually has some leverage on us right now....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Snead’s ability to find CB’s late in the draft, even as UDFA’s is our ace in the hole.

Paying TruJo one penny over $12 million per would be a headscratcher for me.

I suspect that Wade would prefer more of a press man CB, anyway.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Signing E.J. doesn't make much sense. We traded E.J. because he doesn't fit the scheme. He's best suited for a zone-heavy scheme. He's at home in McDermott's defense.

In his rookie year he was shutting down some big time receivers, Mike evans pops to mind, and that's why he took Tru s job. I dont think it was a matter of not fitting a scheme, I think it was more that the rams were paying Tru top dollar, Webster was brought in to start, and nickell was set to be the slot so rather than sitting him, they made a huge trade for Sammy who would be a big piece and immediate so called #1 wr for mcvays offense. I think Gaines has shown he has the man coverage ability. Now if wade mentioned something about him not being a fit I missed that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In his rookie year he was shutting down some big time receivers, Mike evans pops to mind, and that's why he took Tru s job.

In Gregg Williams's scheme that relied almost entirely on off-man and off-zone coverage.

I dont think it was a matter of not fitting a scheme, I think it was more that the rams were paying Tru top dollar, Webster was brought in to start, and nickell was set to be the slot so rather than sitting him, they made a huge trade for Sammy who would be a big piece and immediate so called #1 wr for mcvays offense.

If Wade saw E.J. as a fit, why would he bring in NRC and Webster? Why would E.J. end up beneath both guys in the pecking order?

I think Gaines has shown he has the man coverage ability. Now if wade mentioned something about him not being a fit I missed that.

Gaines doesn't have the sort of man-to-man skills that fit this scheme. He's not a press-man CB in a scheme like Wade's. There's a reason why we went out and signed a bunch of CBs. There's a reason why we traded E.J. to a team with a scheme he fits. He's not a fit here.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A team can only afford about 2 players on the roster being paid at the top at their position.

We know Aaron Donald will be one (perhaps '18, but definitely '19). Some day soon Gurley and Goff.

We also know Ogletree, Barron, Brockers, Quinn, and Whitworth are cap hits north of $10MM/yr in 2018. Woods is close too.

So... With Watkins, Joyner, NRC, and others needing deals... Something has got to give. We need some young players on the cheap.

Granted Austin and maybe a couple of other moves can free up some space, but I don't think Tru fits our cap situation. I just don't. Those dollars need to go toward retaining our mid-tier free agents... or we lose them.

Losing 1 player (Tru at Cornerback) can be filled easier than losing multiple mid-tier guys.

But; the cap is Demoff's job and he's damn good at it.

Until they know that they can get a corner just as good or better than Tru, they need to keep him. Webster isn't that guy. There are many corners with Tru's size to matchup against taller receivers, to just released him and feel certain they can replace him.

Plus with Webster's injury things are even more uncertain. If Webster was healthy now and all season, then maybe they would risk not trying to sign Trumaine to a big deal.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But but but he loves LA and wants to stay here!!!
So do hookers and bums....great weather....and plenty of tricks. LOL

IDK how anyone would want to spend over $8 million....hell, $6 mill, for Tru....he should "give" us 5 years at $20 mill just as a solid....We can draft a better player....esp. as a press man cover guy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Tru had some great moments and some bad moments. Wouldn't be upset at all if we moved on and drafted a CB at 23.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Honestly, have no idea which way it will go with Tru. He was franchised for 2 years, unable to come to terms with the Rams on a contract. He had to stay. Was talk of a trade with N.O. that did not happen. He will get his chance to listen to outside offers. Teams will be interested, no doubt. Some team will throw money at him, not sure the Rams will pay up.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I heard somewhere that he only gave up one TD this season, is this true? I hope they are able to work out a deal with Tru especially with Webster's status being up in the air. I would like to see the Rams pick one of the big NTs at 23, Vea has to be the pick if he is there. Can you picture our DL with Vea in the middle along with Donald and Brockers?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru played well... If he's willing to take a reasonable contract that's cap friendly for us so we can keep building... we should do it.

I keep seeing that mentioned, that "if he's willing to take a reasonable contract" stuff, but the truth is that IF that was the case he'd be signed already.

IMO that ship has sailed. Rams have almost surely moved on and are looking at this very talented CB class in the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard somewhere that he only gave up one TD this season, is this true? I hope they are able to work out a deal with Tru especially with Webster's status being up in the air. I would like to see the Rams pick one of the big NTs at 23, Vea has to be the pick if he is there. Can you picture our DL with Vea in the middle along with Donald and Brockers?

I think it is far more likely they keep Barron around than re-signing Trumaine. It can be argued that Barron would be better with a high end NT in front of him and it takes the pressure off needing another on top of the OLB position. This draft is rich with CBs who can help this defense.

TexasRam

Legend
Options in free agency and the draft
May be non existent. We may have to pay Trumaine a nice contract.

He is a solid corner. I offer up $60 over
5 years