How good was TruJo this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just off my memory, he seemed to do a pretty good job, top 10 cornerback job on receivers this year but it did seem like interceptions were down.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He scored the first TD of the year for us - one of the best scoring years in franchise history.

INTs were down, but I think overall he did a good job. I think PFF had him rated much lower than I felt he played though. I would re-sign him.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Top 10-15 CB this season

I like his size and I don't think he gave up 1 td this year . I would like to have him back but he' not worth top 5 money

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nowhere as good as his recent 2 years and 31 mill would indicate.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...or the money he's going to want going forward.
Exactly.
I wonder how the conversation would go?
Rams: Hey Tru, great news, we want to give you that 31 mill again!
Tru: Hey that sounds great, for 2 years again?
Rams: No, we were thinking over 4 years this time
Rams: Hello?
Rams: Tru?
Rams: Anyone home??

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I am not a fan of his---when you are talking about the type of #1 corner we need to be a 13-3 type of team, that is challenging for the superbowl every year.. He is a good NFL player, and a good zone corner. But, he wouldn't last 4.5 seconds against Julio Jones 1 on 1,nor the likes of Ted Ginn, Davante Adams and dozens of others...I know one on one against 4.4. guys has never been his game-- well all has changed, and the Rams need to step it up at corner.
I will be highly disappointed if the Rams re-sign him for anything over $6mill/yr. Let him go.

Tru Jo is good at stopping the Seattle passing game because of our passrush, and because Doug Baldwin doesn't scare him....Tru Jo is smart, good tackler when he gets his feet right, and tough! Good for a Jeff Fisher CB any day.

The Falcons, Vikings and Saints all have 1 premier cover corner, and we don't. The Eagles Darby is a good cover corner; only the Panthers didn't seem to have a great corner amongst the playoff teams....one and done.

Kayvon is ok, but can't turn and run and locate at all, and Tru Jo with all his technique can't stay with any fliers---which is 60% of the WRs out there.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Tru is a better than average corner with good size to play the bigger receivers. He's probably not worth the asking price his agent will be targeting, but good corners are not easy to find. They may have to overpay him or someone else if they want that position solidified.

Funny how things work. With Donald you want to reward him for what he's done in addition to what he will do. Tru has been rewarded more than he's worth. You'd think to even it out he'd take less since he probably got ten million more for two years than he'll get on the open market. But it doesn't work that way. He'll probably ask for something like what Janoris Jenkins got.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not his best season in his career but he was still our best outside corner by a large degree . Usually, but not always covered our opponent's best receiver. Tru Was never worth the $31 million paid out to him for the last few 2016/2017 seasons over 15 mil a season.

Hard for believe that Tru would not think he is suppose to continue earning what he has earned in the past since he is only 28 yrs old & in his prime. I would not even consider a short term contract again it would have to be over 4 yr or 5 yr contract.

With Ram 2018 cap space funds in serious big demand .....offering no more than earnings close $9 to 10 million annually may be the best they could muster without some major cuts or non Re-signs. Trumaine would think he has been disrespected & not will never entertain those numbers. Depart & sign with the 9ers to be paid as one of the top 5 corners in the NFL.

Thus we go a different route secure & sign our season ending starting corner NR-C & our Nickel CB/Safety Lamarcus Joyner , resign 3rd corner Troy Hill & draft a few econo priced corners you come out ahead in the long run.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
It's impossible to know for sure without looking at the all 22 videos and knowing coverage. Assuming that's the best way.

From PPF
https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/trumaine-johnson/7067/stats
2017 He had 2 Int--- 1 FF---- 1 Fumble recovery---- 9 Pass defensed------60 Tackles-------5 Assisted tackles 1 TD (assume) allowed.

From NFL.com has a little different numbers. Pass defensed is 14.
http://www.nfl.com/player/trumainejohnson/2532877/profile

Either way Johnson had an INT and FF in the first game and only 1 more INT for the rest of the season. He did guard the biggest WR on the opposing team. He was ranked #10 here after week 7.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...back-rankings-rams-trumaine-johnson-in-top-10

From what I can see watching the games Tru Johnson is not a shutdown CB. This is a good point below.

But, he wouldn't last 4.5 seconds against Julio Jones 1 on 1,nor the likes of Ted Ginn, Davante Adams and dozens of others...I know one on one against 4.4. guys has never been his game-- well all has changed, and the Rams need to step it up at corner.

That's right, speed is not his game. He does cover the bigger WRs. He has the length that helps in zone coverage. He just turned 28 on New Years day which gives him 2-3 solid years remaining and maybe a 4th year. I would have been happy at 11 Million per year two years ago. It a tough call to go higher.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Just off my memory, he seemed to do a pretty good job, top 10 cornerback job on receivers this year but it did seem like interceptions were down.
I don’t know if I would say his interceptions were “down”. He’s averaged 3 a season, and he had 7 interceptions in 2015. However, I do feel like he dropped 3 to 4 interception this season. Overall I thought he played well, but not well enough to justify anything over 11-12 million a year. I’m sure he will find that much money a year, or more, given that he’s the best CB on the market this year.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
But but but he loves LA and wants to stay here!!!
Yeah, we'll see how much he loves it in LA. (y)

I'm picturing the post-signing press conference now.

Tru at the mic: "It's always been my dream to play for the Browns! I feel so blessed to be living my dream! Thank you Cleveland!!"

Exactly.
I wonder how the conversation would go?
Rams: Hey Tru, great news, we want to give you that 31 mill again!
Tru: Hey that sounds great, for 2 years again?
Rams: No, we were thinking over 4 years this time
Rams: Hello?
Rams: Tru?
Rams: Anyone home??
Yeah...see above...(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just to be a little more exact on Tru's stats, according to the Rams sit, Tru had:
* 65 Tackles
* 57 Solo
* 1 Forced Fumble
* 1 Fumble recovery
* 2 INT's w/a long of 39 yards
* the 39 yarder was for a TD!
Draw your own conclusions as to his worth, these stats don't tell his entire story! I would keep him, just not at TOP Dollar!

HellRam

Starter
PFF summed it up perfectly.

#69 CB

Rated: average

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/trumaine-johnson/7067

Let him walk and some other team overpay the guy. This is exactly what puts a team in cap hell. Overpaying for a guy who just isn't worth his weight in gold.

Replaceable

Overall I think PFF has some good stuff. But at times they really do got some head scratchers. Like both Jamis Winston and Marcus Mariota having a higher graded 2017 season then Goff.

Just dont get how allowing 1 TD all year while covering the oppoising teams better WRs equals average. Tru was the best CB on a defense that ranked 6th in passing.

Also, sure seems like a lot of fans are stuck in this sign a player for a bargain or don't sign em at all mode these days. If that were to happen the Rams should would lose a lot of good players.

Ram65

Legend
PFF summed it up perfectly.

#69 CB

Rated: average

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/trumaine-johnson/7067

Let him walk and some other team overpay the guy. This is exactly what puts a team in cap hell. Overpaying for a guy who just isn't worth his weight in gold.

Replaceable

I was looking for this. I don't know how and who rates the CBs.

RANK

Trumaine-Johnson.jpg

Trumaine Johnson, Rams

Next up: vs. New Orleans Saints, 4:25 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Johnson wasn't the issue in the Rams' loss to Minnesota, giving up just four receptions on eight targets for 32 yards in coverage. It was good enough to keep him in the top 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a wide ranking difference when it comes to Tru. This after week 12.