How good is McVay ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I say, very, very good.
If not him, what other coach would you rather have from the NFL ? I say nobody.
Still the youngest coach and I am a huge fan of loyalty which seems to be going the way of the Dodo bird these days.
Has had us with winning seasons the vast majority of the time and his playoff win-loss is even better. Lots of time-room to grow.
What more could you ask for as a fan ?
Perfect, nope and neither is any other coach that is human and they all are.
The rest of the NFL is full of coaches that just had a cup of coffee with him and many of those are very good.
I lived through Dick Vermiel who was a terrible offensive guy (as was Robbinson, Allen, Knox,Spags, Fisher)
Here is a list of all the Rams head coaches and its so so IMO. To many 3 yards and a cloud of dust types.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Los_Angeles_Rams_head_coaches

Even Robinson knew enough to get Zampese (and what that could have been if we kept ED !)

Hey I yell at the TV when Sean is in 3rd and a short one and we are in the fucking SHOTGUN. Get rid of that, if we can not get a yard give up your man card. Too many things have to go right for a pass play to work on critical short yardage situations. Far less have to go right on a simple running play and do it under center. Runs out of the shotgun suck and always will. As do those stupid WR screens thrown behind the LOS.
We need more slants. Watched Jerry Rice kill us with those for years and it was like you could not stop them.
Pass the ball downfield. Run, run, run early to set up the pass. Yesterdays game does not get away from us nearly as bad if we would have done that.

I mean Vermiel sucked as I knew over half the time what the play would be by formation. Martz won that Super Bowl but them went crazy.
But, was smart enough on first and goal to run, under center in a 3+ wide passing formation where there was room for Faulk to work.
Sean could learn from that. As well as my favorite "deep in" route. Take the best from the GSOT and ditch the rest.

Sorry for the long post but we have it good and some got spoiled. Some of us remember the bad times and yes, I am a homer.
I did not like the total sell out and we are paying for it now so buck up all you guys that said it was worth it.
I would rather be in the hunt every year with "our guys" than sell out every 4-5 years and try and win it all. You can sell out and it might not work, then what ? Could have easily lost that last SB. Then we are left with a bag of rocks and no 1st round picks.
This last SB was great and all but 99s mattered more. No sell out and some long suffering Ram players got it done with a few key acquisitions.
The Rams were in for a Coyboys-Niners "Dynasty" run but Martz lost his mind. Like I said, loyalty matters and we were better off with Warner than Bulger.

McVay, while not perfect is not going to screw it up long term and most of us want to enjoy a 20 year Shula-Belichick ride.
So, pay the man so would be crazy to leave and enjoy the ride.
If some of you want to respond lets keep it civil.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This not a season we should expect much. This is not a roster we should expect much. This not the year we should judge him. McVay knew what he would be facing when he decided to stay. A talent deficient roster. We will see what he does the next couple years when they start to build a more competitive roster.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This not a season we should expect much. This is not a roster we should expect much. This not the year we should judge him. McVay knew what he would be facing when he decided to stay. A talent deficient roster. We will see what he does the next couple years when they start to build a more competitive roster.
Kinda how I see things.

We had been competitive and in all the games. And that's what I was hoping for.

But yesterday was atrocious.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Kinda how I see things.

We had been competitive and in all the games. And that's what I was hoping for.

But yesterday was atrocious.
It was bound to happen. We've been overmatched in most games. Why it didn't happen sooner is surprising if you ask me.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
100 percent - I think this is how we expected the season to start

The only amendment I'd make to this is that I did not expect Seattle and Pittsburgh to be as good as they are.

Legit only two teams that have a losing record right on our schedule so far, and one of them was an east coast trip who beat Baltimore. Really doubt anyone has had a more difficult schedule.

So this is about what I would have expected, all things considered.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To answer this post, I think we're watching one of the best coaches in NFL history in real time here.

The list of coaches who have taken a team to multiple Super Bowls and with two different QBs (we're seeing now that Belichick is a mediocre coach without Brady) is short.

Sit back and enjoy this....we'll be much better next year and hopefully McVay sticks with us for several more.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mcvay gave us a Super Bowl win , so he’s great in my book. If he hadn’t threatened to retire the last two years , maybe some of us would be more lenient. Is he 100% committed for years , or will we go through the same thing again after this year ? Who knows ? I’ve never seen another coach do that before.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Good, but his offense/playcalling is stale right now. He needs to get back to innovating, and that includes changing some things.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
McVay is a very good coach. Unfortunately the only thing I think that holds him back from being great, is himself. He tends to resort back to bad habits too many times in desperation when things do not go his way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's keep in mind here that despite this being McVay's 7th season as HC, he is still the youngest Head Coach in the league.
Nobody has lost more assistant coaches than he, they have been constantly reinventing the coaching staff year after year.
So he's got a learning curve despite all the success

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a great coach. He has his flaws, but the fact is that our team has mediocre at best talent this year. I hoped McVay would be able to work some magic, but frankly, getting this team to 7-9 wins would be magic. We have a bottom ten roster (if not worse). They seem to be preparing to go after it again next year.

TexasRam

Legend
I never thought it was wise to judge a QB when his surrounding talent was subpar. Same for a coach before he gets a few years to build his vision, or when going through a rebuild.

His record speaks for itself as others have shown above.

His blind spots are pretty clear for us Rams fans, but those are minor criticisms for what most of us view as an excellent coach overall.

The level of competitiveness we have played with this year is a testament to his coaching. The fact that his firstborn came this week, in a week where the wheels came off for the Rams is probably another testament to how reliant the team is on his weekly game planning and leadership. Family first though, so I am glad he took some time off.

But does Mcvay need to rethink his offensive approach and innovate more? Yes. The option routes deep in our own territory causing game changing interceptions, the deep routes on 3rd and short, the lack of passes in the flats and to RBs, the lack of play action. Way too many long drop backs from the pocket.

Mcvay needs to go back to the film room and then come up with solutions he can draw up on the whiteboard to get this offense back on track.

But in the end it can only get so much better until the Oline is fully rebuilt.

NYCRam

Rookie
To answer the original question. If I could "wave a magic wand: and replace Mac with any existing Coaches in the League, I would do so for Mike McDaniel or Kyle Shanahan. I also believe Andy Reid is "better" than him.

So despite having him 4th out of 32, let the "righteous outrage" begin and let me have it....

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I say, very, very good.
If not him, what other coach would you rather have from the NFL ? I say nobody.
Still the youngest coach and I am a huge fan of loyalty which seems to be going the way of the Dodo bird these days.
Has had us with winning seasons the vast majority of the time and his playoff win-loss is even better. Lots of time-room to grow.
What more could you ask for as a fan ?
Perfect, nope and neither is any other coach that is human and they all are.

I agree with this.

I did not like the total sell out and we are paying for it now so buck up all you guys that said it was worth it.
I would rather be in the hunt every year with "our guys" than sell out every 4-5 years and try and win it all. You can sell out and it might not work, then what ? Could have easily lost that last SB. Then we are left with a bag of rocks and no 1st round picks.

But not this. Goal is to win titles and championships. The shitters have been waiting for over 40 years and it hasn't happened since. The Ravens have won twice in 20 years. The Steelers haven't won wince 2008. Packers since 2010. Philly won once in their history? Took almost 5 years to get back there?

When you got a chance you go for it. And damn was it worth it.

McVay, while not perfect is not going to screw it up long term and most of us want to enjoy a 20 year Shula-Belichick ride.

That's gonna be crazy low odds. These "dynasty" things don't exist anymore with all the roster fluidity. We'll see what the Chiefs will do, they might be the closest one right now.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
2 Superbowls in 6 years, isn’t bad.

I think he’s pretty damn good.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If anybody can't see how good we have it with McVay, please tell me who is better. I mean who is proven better than he is to coach this team.