How Far Could We Trade Down And Still Grab Greg Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of taking him and plugging him in at guard until we need him at tackle. Maybe play him at RT and have Barksdale be the swing.

I think Boudreau could refine his pass blocking (which isn't terrible to begin with), and make this kid into a monster. The Rams are going to continue with their "balanced attack" and they should. After watching the season over a few times it's pretty easy to see the difference Zac Stacy and commitment to the run actually made. There's so many arguments/points that can be made about it that I'm not even going to list them all. With the Rams current roster it just makes too much sense.

I know it's too early to tell, and once things start heating up he could skyrocket up the board. I wouldn't be surprised come April if we're hearing rumors that he goes top 5. As of right now, based off need of the teams and their needs, how far do you think the Rams could trade down and still get him?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think at this point, somewhere from 10-16 is where he falls. This is after his bowl game performance.

This is of course my opinion, and there are factors such as a run at the position and all that, like we saw with O-line in the draft last year.

jjab360

Legend
6 with the Atlanta Falcons is as far as I'd be willing to trade down. After that, who knows what happens, and it'd be disappointing to not come away with one of these blue chip talents.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
6 with the Atlanta Falcons is as far as I'd be willing to trade down. After that, who knows what happens, and it'd be disappointing to not come away with one of these blue chip talents.

Me too.

This guy is my fall back player if we trade down, particular if down to #8 with the Vikes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Auburn's Greg Robinson has one-of-a-kind skill set, coach says

J.B. Grimes has been an offensive line coach for more than 30 years, but he has special praise for Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson."I've not had one like him," Grimes said. "I've had some really, really good players, probably coached somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 guys that have gone on to either play in the NFL or at least gotten into camps, but I've never had one with the skill set he has got."

In just his second season of college action, Robinson (6-foot-5, 320 pounds) is now regarded as a high first-round draft pick by one NFL scout and received a first-round grade from the draft advisory board. Grimes went one step further, saying last month that Robinson could be the top pick in the 2015 draft.

But even Grimes now seemingly concedes Robinson might not be long for the Tigers when discussing the one weakness in his star lineman's game.

"We've got his feet where they need to be, we've got his body position where it needs to be as far as his pad level. He's really fundamentally with his feet pretty good, but we have not got his hands where I want them yet," Grimes said. "And if there is one thing we have got to fix -- if I had a chance to do that -- it would definitely be his hands, especially in pass protection."

in the Auburn run-based spread offense, however, Robinson is simply able to overpower opponents. Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan noted Robinson's impressive ability to "almost wipe out the whole defensive line." Grimes went one step further.Everyone can see the tape," Grimes said. "He can get movement on the Berlin Wall, as far as the running game is concerned, but they haven't seen his pure athleticism yet."

Grimes then listed off the impressive feats of athleticism Robinson is capable of: a 30-inch vertical jump, a 4.9 40-yard dash, bench-pressing nearly 500 pounds and squatting 650 pounds.

Add it all up, and Robinson could conceivably end up as the top tackle in a loaded crop. After only one season, he is already one of Grimes' top pupils.

Greg Robinson, OT: Robinson was the most dominating player on the Rose Bowl field. In the run game, he has a lethal combination of quickness, strength and agility. He cleaned up FSU safety Terrance Brooks with a monster shot on Tre Mason's touchdown catch in the first quarter. He repeatedly collapsed his opponent on down blocks and created huge running lanes for Mason. In pass protection, he has very quick feet and strong hands. He was called for one holding penalty, but he was otherwise pretty flawless on the big stage. He's as talented as any blocker in college football.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...n-tim-jernigan-dominate-bcs-championship-game

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I can see them going down to #8 with the Vikings giving us a 2015 first rounder in the deal.

The 7 players that will be off the board by then will include 3 QBs and Clowney. That leaves 3 more players coming off the board that could include Matthews, Robinson, Watkins, Barr, Mack, and Dennard.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think at this point, somewhere from 10-16 is where he falls. This is after his bowl game performance.

This is of course my opinion, and there are factors such as a run at the position and all that, like we saw with O-line in the draft last year.

I bet his stock will soar into the top ten after his pro day and combine.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I could see Greg Robinson going to Atlanta @ #6 or Tampa Bay @#7 This is where both OT's Matthews & Robinson come off the boards. Leaving the Rams to look @ Cyrus Kouandjio or Zack Martin who IMO would be a reach.
1-QB
2-DE
3-QB
4-QB
5-WR
6-OT
7-OT
8-QB
9-LB
10-CB
11-DE
12-LB
13-?

If Snead wants a top OT like Matthews/Robinson a trade down will be required. Otherwise it does not look goo to me. Trading with the Vikings will not bring us a OT you gotta look @ where the Browns set @ #4.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
As we get closer I wouldn't bet against people putting us taking him at 2nd overall.

I think it's actually getting closer to that point, already. Mel Kiper moved him from 9 to 4 on his draft board. He says he could be the first OT drafted. This is good news because we could still get Matthews and Warkins if we trade back then trade up. It could work. I would love it...

PhxRam

I can see them going down to #8 with the Vikings giving us a 2015 first rounder in the deal.

I assume you have us trading with someone like Cleveland then trading that pick down to Minnesota? I cant see us ONLY getting a pick next year.

Alan

Legend
I'm with you Phx, especially with two trade downs. I'd love that scenario cause I think we'd probably get that first plus multiple other picks. :woot:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of taking him and plugging him in at guard until we need him at tackle. Maybe play him at RT and have Barksdale be the swing.

GR would make the perfect LEFT side guy. Snead has a large vacancy now @ OLG where Brandon Washington would start if the season started in April. The concerns @ OLT will linger until Jake Long is fully 100%. GR would enter TC as the top left side Ol'er getting time in his comfortable position @ OLT through TC & Pre season if jake is ready GR could now slide over a few ft right to OLG post. There he can master the needed hand play of an NFL OL'er at a less stressful spot plus his run blocking with a healthy Jake Long would make that left side super inviting for Zac. GR has not played the RIGHT side I am hot not warm on GR as a Ram OL'er.

I know it's too early to tell, and once things start heating up he could skyrocket up the board. I wouldn't be surprised come April if we're hearing rumors that he goes top 5. As of right now, based off need of the teams and their needs, how far do you think the Rams could trade down and still get him?

Not Far #5 or better would place the Rams in a good position.

Reference you last question on the trade down...you need three teams.....Falcons-Browns-Vikings. The best trade down would be with the Browns @ #4. But they are smug as usual & fill fat & happy staying @ #4. Where the Browns fill they can get the third best QB. Snead must entice the Vikings to trade up move up from #8 to #2. the let the Browns know whats up Browns will go ballistic & panic..they will loose that 3rd best QB to the Vikings. If the Browns bite send us 1st#4 & 1st#26 & 3rd #68. At that point the three first selections would be QB's leaving DL Clowney. The Falcons need a dozen DL'ers to fill their vacancies. Snead could get them enticed to trade up with to us @ #4 from the #6 spot giving us their 2nd #38 where they will take the DE leaving us with our pick of the OT's GR or JM will still remaining. All that gets the Rams extra selections in the first, second & third rounds for just moving down from #2 to #6.

Looks like this when its all done:
1st/#6- *from Atlanta thru Cleveland
1st/#13- Rams
1st#26- *From Cleveland
2nd/#38- *From Atlanta
2nd/#44 -Rams
3rd/#68 -*From Cleveland
3rd/#77-Rams

Last edited by a moderator:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I assume you have us trading with someone like Cleveland then trading that pick down to Minnesota? I cant see us ONLY getting a pick next year.
We will get more than just a 2015 first rounder to get to #8. Will include at least a 2nd rounder this year and another pick next year. But we may just deal directly with Minn.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
159.gif