How Does Tre Mason Fit With The Rams?/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
How Does Tre Mason Fit With The Rams?

By Tevin Broner

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/5...son-tre-mason-roster-running-back-depth-chart

The St. Louis Rams drafted Tre Mason in the 2014 NFL Draft, muddying the running back depth chart. How does he fit with the team? Will he upend Zac Stacy for the starting role?

The St. Louis Rams surprised many people (me included) when they drafted Tre Mason from Auburn in the 3rd round. There wouldn't be much surprise if the Rams didn't already have a solid starting running back on the roster in Zac Stacy. Since the Rams drafted Mason during the 2nd day of the draft they must see something in him that they didn't already have on the roster.

Change of pace guy

From what I've seen from Mason, he does have speed. It's not blazing Chris Johnson speed, but it's enough burst and speed for some big gains during the season.

Pass blocking

Don't expect Mason to be a pass blocker on 3rd downs unless he dramatically improves. He wasn't assigned to block much with Auburn. And when he did, it wasn't pretty.

The gif above was the best pass blocking that I've seen from him.

Pass catching

He will, however be expected to catch some passes.

Sam Bradford has no problem checking down when he doesn't think a receiver is open. Note that, from 2012-2014, he only caught just 18 passes. I'm not saying he can't do it, but you would like your scat back to be able to do that.

"I've been waiting for him to come off the board. He gets north; he gets south. He played so well in the national championship game and caught peoples' eyes. Mason has jump-cut lateral quickness to accelerate up the field. The only thing I don't like is his pass pro. The next time he blocks somebody in pass pro will be the first time." -- Mike Mayock

Kick returner

Mason does have kickoff experience under his belt. He didn't return many kicks last season, but he does have a noteable kickoff for a touchdown. The Rams have needed a kickoff returner for years. He's probably the best option that the Rams have back there. Plus, if Mason proves to be a solid returner, that would probably free up a roster spot for the Rams 53 man roster.

Lack of solid depth

Zac Stacy is the starter. As he should be. He had good rookie season. After Stacy, however, the running back situation is murky.

Benny Cunningham showed promise, but he's had some injury problems and he might be best as a backup running back or depth guy.

Coach Fisher put his foot on Isaiah Peads' career and threw it off a bridge without a lifejacket, so it's doubtful that he'll be on the final 53 man roster.

Stacy has had his share of being nicked up during the season. When you look at the Rams depth at running back it makes perfect sense that the Rams will add another running back to the roster, and one that has a different skill set than the backs already on the roster.

Mason doesn't run like a typical scat back, but he probably has the best speed of the ones currently on the roster. The one thing that surprised me is that he's a tougher runner than I originally thought. He can hit outside stretches, but defenses will also have to worry about him running between the tackles. Mason and Stacy should be a good one two combination.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Coach Fisher put his foot on Isaiah Peads' career and threw it off a bridge without a lifejacket, so it's doubtful that he'll be on the final 53 man roster.

You Pead lovers better read and re-read this. I'd be surprised if he makes the 53

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Well, Tevon Broner said it so it must be true.

Seriously, he contradicts himself in the same article. After Stacy it's murky? Really? I like Stacy, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Mason can do.

Cunningham shows promise but he's probably best used as a backup. Well, isn't that his role?

And Mason also has no problems running between the tackles. That's 3 deep for your power run game. Pead can run through the tackles also, it was Richardson who had no patience running through the tackles and he's no longer on this team.

Ok, and so is depth an issue or not? Cause if they're all so injury prone, you keep Pead.

Is blocking an issue or not? Cause if so, you keep Pead on your roster for the 3rd down back.

Sounds like the dude has an agenda or two.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What I love about Mason is he consistently shows great vision on tape. That's what Pead is lacking, IMO. We will carry 4 RB's on the depth chart next year, Pead makes the cut. We can't give up on a second round guy going into his third year. It looks terrible.