How does Aaron Donald fit with the Rams?/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

How does Aaron Donald fit with the Rams?

By Tevin Broner

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/5...-st-louis-rams-defensive-line-starter-rookies

The St. Louis Rams decided to add another pass rusher in the NFL Draft, and Donald brings an element that the Rams have been lacking.

Entering into the 2014 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams had one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. Still, the Rams decided to draft Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald with the 13th pick. It's a way to take their defense to the next level. A team can never have enough pass rushers, so the Rams decided to feed the beast.

Donald was a special prospect, and he should be a special player. The only real question mark in regards to Donald is that some people feel as though he is too small. Many teams would rather be safe and have big defensive tackles But there's no reason to assume that Donald won't succeed for the Rams. Many people compare Donald's ability to Geno Atkins, who is a hell of a defensive tackle.

The reason why Donald is a special prospect is because of his ability as a pass rusher. There aren't many defensive tackles that have the speed and athleticism to beat guards like he does, and, damn, can he use different techniques well (read what former NFL defensive end Stephen White said about him). He could end up overpowered by guards in the run game early in his career, but even if that's the case, he's still valuable because this is a passing league.

The Rams have a packed defensive line with Donald added to the roster. Obviously the the starting four defensive linemen for the Rams are Donald and Michael Brockers in the middle with Chris Long and Robert Quinn on the outside They also have backup defensive ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims, who have been important and productive role players. People tend to forget that the Rams added another pass rushing interior lineman in free agency this spring in Alex Carrington. He last played for the Buffalo Bills last season, missing all but three games because of a torn quad.

Being a starter for the Rams defensive line doesn't mean much because of the frequency that the Rams rotate players during games. Donald will get plenty of playing time, and he could end up with most of the snaps out of the defensive tackles. He will eventually be the "official" starter this year or next year, but there's honestly no reason to rush him. The current starters, Kendall Langford and Brockers, have played well. Adding Donald gives the Rams a much needed penetrator to press the pocket from the middle.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I saw the argument made a few times that the #2 overall pick was essentially a "mad money" pick, as it wasn't our draft choice, and thus that made it easier to go for BPA rather than need.

I think #13 ended up our "mad money" pick. I don't see us going DT there unless Donald dropped, but from all indications, he was a real steal at that spot.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Out of curiosity, generally speaking how did Donald compare to Suh as a DT prospect? I'm not a big college fan so other than the top prospects I don't know the players very well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Out of curiosity, generally speaking how did Donald compare to Suh as a DT prospect? I'm not a big college fan so other than the top prospects I don't know the players very well.

If Donald had his skills and athleticism at Suh's size, he would have been considered a better prospect imo.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

He beat Suh by 3 reps @ 225 (35 vs. 32)
Beat Suh in the broad jump by 11 inches (116 vs. 105)
Suh beat Donald in the vert by 3.5 inches (35.5 vs. 32)

Suh is 6'4" 307lbs.
Donald is 6'1" 285lbs.

If his explosiveness frees Chris Long, you might see Long have a career year. Or Donald is going to lead the league in TFL (bold prediction).

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I saw the argument made a few times that the #2 overall pick was essentially a "mad money" pick, as it wasn't our draft choice, and thus that made it easier to go for BPA rather than need.

I think #13 ended up our "mad money" pick. I don't see us going DT there unless Donald dropped, but from all indications, he was a real steal at that spot.

Exactly, Boffo. The Rams had him top 8 (which sounds like 8 to me). Too good to pass.

He might be shorter, but no doubt he'll use that as he did in college to gain leverage. I love this pick!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If the Rams had selected him at #2, I would have had no problem with that. Thats how much I like him. I didnt think he would drop to 13. I thought the Giants were lucky as hell that he fell to their laps. Rams were even luckier.

Best damn defensive line in the NFL!!!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Seems to me, just threatening the A Gap with a potential blitzer or two would almost assure this kid of getting more one on one opportunities to exploit inside. In time, he might put up LaRoi Glover / John Randle type sack numbers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
DFarr was 6'1" and 276 according to profootballreference.com, I only bring that up because shorter lighter players can excel in the interior of the DL just like they can on the interior of the OL. There are plenty of examples of guy on both sides of the ball that are under 300 and under 6' 4", or whatever people consider the prototypical size for the interior. He is also surrounded with a whole lot of talent so he will have his opportunities to make plays and show his stuff from the very start. He doesn't have to worry about carrying the DL or being the main guy like some draft picks (Suh for example) he can take it as it comes and learn from good coaches and players at his side.

Truthfully he couldn't have asked for a better situation to get drafted into, it's pretty ideal for him.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Not so bold prediction...DROY!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
DTs dont usually explode onto the scene in year 1. I don't expect as much production from Donald this season, as many of you do. DPOY will go to a Fulltime player. Donald will be rotational.

I think a corner or LBer is a more likely candidate for DPoY.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
DTs dont usually explode onto the scene in year 1. I don't expect as much production from Donald this season, as many of you do. DPOY will go to a Fulltime player. Donald will be rotational.

Yes I think so too, plus the guys on the interior don't get a lot of hype. Not to mention he is going to be eased into things given the number of talented guys on the DL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This 2014 draft was very different from past drafts as far as DT's go. Only TWO DT's were drafted in the first round. Both of them were undersized interior pass rushers.
2014 2 DT's
2013 4 DT's
2012 3 DT's
2011 4 DT's
2010 5 DT's

Snead selected the top DT in this very good draft. In passing situations a New Ram pass rushing DL Quinn- Carrington- Donald- Long looks to be very scary for opponents OL's.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think he scores at least two defensive TD's cuz he'll be right there and quick and low enough to the ground to scoop it up when Quinn strips it,I think defensive TD's are gonna skyrocket for us this year

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

Last year's DROY was a DT. But I guess you could argue that makes it even more unlikely. What I see/hope to see is him getting many one on one opportunities due to the other talent on our DL and being in the right place when our DEs force QBs to step up into (a nonexistent) pocket. Sacks are flashy plays so if he gets his share of those and TFL like he did in college he could be the guy.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Because of Donald's extreme quickness, Donald will draw a bunch of double teams. Before the bigger offensive linemen can block Donald, they must touch him. And since the shortest distance between two points is a strait line, Donald would reach the Quarterback even faster than Quinn, if both of them are left untouched. Therefore I expect Michael Brockers to be freed up, to double his sack total since Brockers will face fewer double teams.

Our ferocious front four, and Gregg William's blitzkrieg blitz schemes, will force opposing offenses into multiple Tight End sets more often this season. Similar to what our offense ran the last half of 2013.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That explosiveness is REDONKULOUS!! Watch how much faster he gets off the line than Suh...PLUS he has the strength and agility to use his arms to get in those A gaps ......and when he does....it's sack city baby. Love love LOVE this pick.