How do you plug our two OL holes?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How do you plug our 2 OL holes?

• 2 veteran free agents

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • A veteran free agent and a draft choice.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • 2 draft choices.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • We have more than 2 starters we need to replace.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • In addition to our 2 starters we need to replace, we need new backups.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Huh huh huh huh... you said holes.

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
There seems to be universal agreement on this board that we need replacements for Wells and Joseph. If you're Snisher (Sneasher?), how do you plug these holes? 2 vet FAs? Vet FA and a rookie? 2 rooks? Or do we have more than 2 holes?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
There seems to be universal agreement on this board that we need replacements for Wells and Joseph. If you're Snisher (Sneasher?), how do you plug these holes? 2 vet FAs? Vet FA and a rookie? 2 rooks? Or do we have more than 2 holes?
I haven't voted on this yet .... but this is the draft that I feel that OL is deep in prospects.. So right now I am leaning towards the draft. The reason?? Well the rams have shown the propensity to go after FA's that are either nearing the end of their careers, oft injured or both .. and they over pay for it. It's time to build the OL as a strength on this team, the same way we did the DL. I think they could find 2 starters with their first 3 picks along the OL and then maybe a mid level FA added like they did with Barksdale.

The guys we have right now ... I just have no confidence they will even finish a game, let alone a season (except for Robinson)

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
You are forgetting the Barksdale factor if he leaves via FA. Just saying. :cool:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Tim Barnes has to be the guy at C with Rhaney stepping up
Then we have to go cheap FA with the LG and we use our #10 pick to replace Barksdale

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Then there's also the Jake Long factor.. Will he be cut for cap room or restructured? Hey I am looking for a smilie with a monkey holding and/or throwing a wrench. :D

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
A reasonably price FA (if possible) and a draft choice (although I think we need to draft more than one OL).

Also, contrary to others, if you can bring back Barksdale at a reasonable price, you do it and don't create yet another hole. I don't think we should give him a crazy contract like some of the OT's were getting last year, but if you can have him back without breaking the bank, you keep him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A vet free agent and two draft choices.

But I selected 2 draft picks since it was close enough.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Find top 7 rushing attacks in NCAA. Rank their OL. Create Board. GO OL every pick in draft. Big guys. Put them in ballet classes, and then Ju Jitzu classes for 2 months. Give them a playbook to read.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Fintop 7 rushing attacks in NCAA. Rank their OL. Create Board. GO OL every pick in draft. Big guys. Put them in ballet classes, and then Ju Jitzu classes for 2 months. Give them a playbook to read.
Also give each one a shotgun to even things up

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I voted for more than 2 necessary starting O-Linemen, ... JLong, Wells, Joseph & Barksdale are NOT long term resolutions for fixing a serious problem. Jones, Barnes & Washington are also more than questionable reserve talent, and Person is another of our free agents. Depth is possibly even more lacking than our starters or we wouldn't be stressing so much over this unit, ... and we can't get it all done in a single season. For 2015, my preference is 2 draftees and a free agent, at least, although Fisher's reluctance to immediately start rookie O-Linemen has me guessing it's more likely to be 1 draftee and 2 free agents. jmo.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Also give each one a shotgun to even things up
Throw in some 'read option' and 'under center' formations.....wait, you mean real bloody shotguns.
In the spirit of getting ideas out on the table....I'm OK with that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Only one vote for the last option, you guys disappoint me.
I almost did this, but I decided to stay serious. I prefer doing it thru the draft, but I trust in Snisher!! They've done OK so far!! :D

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
...........Fisher's reluctance to immediately start rookie O-Linemen ........
Would he have started a Zack Martin or two?
I know the D Line has 4 1st rounders. That wasn't done in one year.
But we already have one 1st rounder in GRob. What if we could somehow get two heady and talented guards via draft?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams are going to lose Wells and Long, so what is left is one vet who has a past history of injury risk in Saffold and a very talented but young LT. One FA addition is a requirement plain and simple, for the vet presence.

Then draft at least one start-ready interior OL. Two would be better with one of them maybe being the OT that can play inside type guys that Fish and Boudreaux seem to prefer.

Lastly another key is injury history of the new additions. Rams must select players who have been able to stay healthy. While it's no guarantee, it's where they need to start in what they bring in IMO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Would he have started a Zack Martin or two?
I know the D Line has 4 1st rounders. That wasn't done in one year.
But we already have one 1st rounder in GRob. What if we could somehow get two heady and talented guards via draft?

I really can't answer that question, and I believe Fisher's history hasn't proven this to be a past practice. 2015 might very well have been different had he been successful in trading up for Martin. 2016 is likely a bigger crises for the O-Line than even last season, whether Fisher goes the free agent route, the draft, or hopefully both, your guess is as good as mine at this point. I'll point out one difference here though, I would prefer to draft a Center & Tackle than 2 OG's. I'm looking for an OG(s) thru free agency. jmo.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Merlin summed it up nicely and I will add to it.

The Rams need three new starters. C, OG, and RT. I know am nearly alone in this camp but Barksdale's pass protection was not there last year and I am not going to blame that on the RG like some have done, but that's just IMO.

Both draft and FA, but I also think it would be wise to bring in at least one very good FA starter and another starter or BU. Can't rely on all young guys learning especially since the Rams need to start winning and get into the playoffs this year. Laurinatis, Long, and others are not getting any younger. As long as Lupati is healthy I would absolutely, no question, throw bucks at him and sign him. The Rams desperately need someone of his caliber bad. I know some of the FA signings on OL did not pan out but you don't just give up signing OL FA.

The Rams also need to draft OL rounds 1, 2, and 3, a maybe even 5. I would be comfortable only if the Rams draft OL 1,2,3 and signed 2 FA at the very least.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see more than 2 holes by a far margin.:cautious: But I flunk math for many years. Rams have Five OL'ers entering free agency that's way more than 2 I think ? You throw in probable cap casualties of 2 more ....OLT Long & OC Wells that make SEVEN.

FOUR of the 2014 starters in the first regular season game were ORG Joseph-ORT Barksdale-OLT Long & OC Wells....So I don't understand your math? Please help me out.

So using the above numbers of seven this is how I would go to work on those 7 spots. My plan would be:
1- Sign a Non Ram (other NFL teams) UFA who is primarily a OLG & a reserve ORT in skills.
1- Sign Ex Ram UFA OT/OG/OC Mike Person
1- Sign Ram RFA Center Tim Barnes
1-Sign Ram ERFA OG Brandon Washington
Draft @ least 3 OL'ers, using two of the three 1st & 2nd day draft selections. With the main priority to secure a starting ORT then a swing OT and a OG.

Thats how I would plan to fill those seven holes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm thinking we let go / lose; Wells, Long, and Joseph.

I'm guessing we sign a legit FA for the oline and another depth type vet for the oline. Then... I'd bet we also draft 2 OL fairly early.

GRob
Saffold
Barksdale

Then the best 2 from the four new above.