How Do You Like Dan Campbell Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I didn't have much of a problem with the first 4th and 2. But not kicking the FG to tie the game when you have a chance.

That was pure stupidity.
They were both head=scratching but passing on the chance to tie? W...T...F...

The whole thing was stupid in a game that you publicly said was "a race to 30 points," and you knew points were at a premium when everything was said and done.

Just stupid.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Yeah, I’d disagree with that, too.

Plenty of analytical support for what he did.

It isn’t shooting from the hip or being run by emotion.. it’s a philosophy/approach.

Solid processes don’t always equal great results.
Analytics doesn't factor in the situation. For the life of me, I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't want the points there to go back up 3-scores on that first 4th down. You add to your total ( in a game, again, YOU"VE said where points are at a premium) AND help deflate your opponent who just gave back 3 pts.

Maybe that's a 'me' thing but the other approach makes no sense to me in that situation.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Analytics doesn't factor in the situation. For the life of me, I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't want the points there to go back up 3-scores on that first 4th down. You add to your total ( in a game, again, YOU"VE said where points are at a premium) AND help deflate your opponent who just gave back 3 pts.

Maybe that's a 'me' thing but the other approach makes no sense to me in that situation.
Analytics literally do. Win percentage, etc.

But, just like other decision-processes in football.. it ain’t infallible.

Every organization uses analytics now.. it’s just a matter of how much they integrate them into their process.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the best coaches in league history including Bill Parcells, Cheat, Anry Reid, Dick Vermiel or (insert your favorite coach's name here) would have kicked the field goal in both situations, and they would have also thrown a pass instead of running the ball and being forced to waste a timeout at the end of the game.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think the best coaches in league history including Bill Parcells, Cheat, Anry Reid, Dick Vermiel or (insert your favorite coach's name here) would have kicked the field goal in both situations, and they would have also thrown a pass instead of running the ball and being forced to waste a timeout at the end of the game.
Or given Mecole Hardman the ball on an end around at the 3?

Great example of people being results-blinded.

What happens if Buffalo just makes the FG & wins in overtime?

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
Every organization uses analytics now..
Which seems to be an apposite time to remind people that statistics may be likened to a bikini, in that what they reveal may be very interesting but what they conceal is vital.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Which seems to be an apposite time to remind people that statistics may be likened to a bikini, in that what they reveal may be very interesting but what they conceal is vital.
Do you know what their statistical models reveal and hide?

oldnotdead

Legend
I didn't think much of Campbell when he was hired. But he's proved himself to have established a winning culture in a team that hasn't been a winner in a long time. IMO that earns him some respect and leeway. Like his team he's still learning (hopefully) and is a work in progress, You can't belittle his accomplishments. Second guessing decisions during the game is always 20/20 by media and fans. It still happens with McVay once he gets inside the opponent's 40 yd line his offense often changes and he will many times go away from things that were working. In other words he still over thinks things and stops himself.

It's simply my opinion, but I believe in making the opposition stop you, and not stopping yourself. But this is about Campbell a coach in development. Let's see how he handles success in 2024.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

For me, I could live with the result if it's 4th and 3 inches for a first down. But 4th and 3 yards with a chance to kick a FG. Then if made, 8 minutes have gone off the clock and the score is the same as halftime. That puts a ton of pressure on rat boy and the whiners. That also takes a lot of CMC running plays off the table. This is where the analytics don't really matter.

I don't necessarily think Campbell was wrong to be aggressive. Goff's pass hit Reynolds in the hands and he dropped it. But that drop was the start of the unraveling. Right after that, the lucky bounce that went to the Chinese receiver (Aiyuk) and after the whiners scored, Gibbs coughed up the ball on the next play.

I was also puzzled when Campbell didn't attempt a FG down 27-24. And again, Goff delivered a dart to Reynolds who dropped another one. Reynold cost them the ticket to the Superbowl. Isn't this Reynolds the former Ram? If so, I'm glad he's not on our team now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Analytics have their place but people aren't robots. They don't have to stick to the data. If it was a regular season game then its not a big deal. But that was not only their last game. It was their shot at a Super Bowl. A field goal helps kill the Niners momentum. It changes their game plan the rest of the way. No field goals are sure things but they had no trouble letting the kicker try an even longer field goal against the Rams. If he missed it then they Lions would have lost by two points.