How Do You Handle Big Hav's Return?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Fisher said big Hav will be out for next couple weeks. Hav was probably our best lineman last year, but the current starting unit looks like it's gelling.

The starting line composition of Robinson, Wichman, Barnes, Brown, and Saffold played well against the Cowboys and has played together all training camp. With Hav probably not coming back until the end of camp do you mix it up or not try to fix a thing that's working.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Are you suggesting that Hav not be reinserted once he's healthy again, SYG?

Hav has to go back in at ROT.

If it were me, I would put Saffold at RG and move Brown to his more natural LG position. Unless Wichmann has outplayed him, that is.

THAT could become a dominating OL.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The constant shuffling of the OL drives me nuts. It's anybody's guess what boudreau will do with the line when Hav comes back. Pretty sure GRob stays at LT and Barnes at C, other than that its anyone's guess. Coach Boo doesn't seem to buy into the "continuity" concept. He's more a "plug and play" coach and likes to try guys at spots they never played in college. My trust in Boudreau is wavering.

I still predict the OL at the start of the season will be something different than what they started in pre-season.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

If it were me, I would put Saffold at RG and move Brown to his more natural LG position. Unless Wichmann has outplayed him, that is.

Agree with moving Saffold to RG but move Brown to the bench and leave Wichmann at LG. Brown has to beat out Wichmann.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'll be honest, how Brown and Wichmann have been handling themselves on the inside is something I don't think I've heard much of this training camp. Anyone had an eye on them??

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I concur with @Rams43 , however, I'm betting they move Saffold to LG and let Wichmann & Brown battle for RG, but I like Saffold better on the right side although he's left handed.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Agree with moving Saffold to RG but move Brown to the bench and leave Wichmann at LG. Brown has to beat out Wichmann.
This is my current inclination but then I second guess myself because it's kinda cheap that even if Brown is beat out by Wichmann, he didn't really get a chance to beat out Saffold. But I guess nobody said football life is fair. Fisher seems to have a code as to what happens when someone gets hurt but not sure how it plays out here. Hav shouldn't be punished by bad luck, Saffold shouldn't be punished for being a team player and moving, Wichmann shouldn't be punished if he has a great spring, but someone is gonna be the odd man out.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think Fish said in his presser yesterday that Hav would be ready to go this week.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Very happy that the big guy is back in action this week. And it's nice that it will correspond to Goff getting some snaps with the 1s, really lookin forward to that.

I'd prefer Roger on the left side next to GRob to help him settle in for what will hopefully be a big season for him. IMO Roger's big season at RG where he played so well had more to do with it being a contract season than it was that he was on the right side. If he's healthy and ready to roll he'll do just fine on the left side, and the run game to the left should be absolutely effin insane with him and GRob out there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But I guess nobody said football life is fair. Fisher seems to have a code as to what happens when someone gets hurt but not sure how it plays out here. Hav shouldn't be punished by bad luck, Saffold shouldn't be punished for being a team player and moving, Wichmann shouldn't be punished if he has a great spring, but someone is gonna be the odd man out.
I have heard it said, " Fair is where you find funny fried foods, and feed pigs", or something like that.

I really like Cody Wichman...why?, he's strong, hungry, comes from a town where Logan Mankins was raised....Doesn't miss starts, not injury prone, despite his early season injury last year. I like Saffold. Best lineman on team. Last of the original team leaders...I like G-Rob...Man, I wanted to see what a year of conditioning would do for Havenstein...My only real question mark remains Brown, who...hell, was our top rookie b4 his position change. I want to see Brown performing at a high level..I think he'll get there...That's 5 guys right there....for 4 spots....And I'm loving what Kush brings to the middle of the line...

My only concern is, can Barnes continue to improve? If so, keep him there...If not, I have no worries about playing Kush...next Saturday...Hell, even Rhaney played pretty good.. But that was against dallas...Chiefs are a different monster up front....

Hav, if able, should start...if not...let him sit...and by able I mean, he needs to perform at or above how he was playing b4 he left. What I saw Saturday says, don't mess with what's not broken.....

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I think Fish said in his presser yesterday that Hav would be ready to go this week.

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but I believe he was referring to having EJ Gaines and Isiah Battle up and ready to go this week. Still hoping for Havenstein by season opener.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just being devils advocate, I think Hav should start at RT. However, if this current line composition continues to play well you really have to ask if its not broken why to fix it. Furthermore once the inevitable Saffold injury comes around you don't have to reshuffle alot because you have a ready made replacement in Hav to step in at RT. Not saying that is what should happen, but if this current group keeps playing well could be hard to mess with their continuity.

I don't think LG is Brown's more natural position. He played exclusively at tackle in college and initially came in to our team as RG next to Hav. Brown and G Rob on the left side last year was a disaster I don't want to go back to that. If we put Hav back in the starting lineup IMO it should be G Rob, Saffold, Barnes, Brown, Hav from left to right. Could also make an argument that Wichman is better than Brown, so he has potential to start at RG as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just being devils advocate, I think Hav should start at RT. However, if this current line composition continues to play well you really have to ask if its not broken why to fix it. Furthermore once the inevitable Saffold injury comes around you don't have to reshuffle alot because you have a ready made replacement in Hav to step in at RT. Not saying that is what should happen, but if this current group keeps playing well could be hard to mess with their continuity.

I don't think LG is Brown's more natural position. He played exclusively at tackle in college and initially came in to our team as RG next to Hav. Brown and G Rob on the left side last year was a disaster I don't want to go back to that. If we put Hav back in the starting lineup IMO it should be G Rob, Saffold, Barnes, Brown, Hav from left to right. Could also make an argument that Wichmman is better than Brown, so he has potential to start at RG as well.

I like the ideal of letting having Rob Havenstein being ease very slowing back into the ORT post. I would prefer to see Saffold remain @ ORT with Havenstein getting some late game reps. You make a good point on letting Saffold remain there until the injury happens as we know it will. I say this is a good plan. I tend to like having Saffold playing OT at the moment. I want Havenstein fully healthy & absent of any pain or limping.

If Donnal, Battle & Williams continue to improve then we are in serious good position for this 2016 season. Brown does seem to have more issues with pass blocking than run blocking.

On the Jamon Brown situation.... Brown started in 2015 season @ the left OG post (four pre season games then four regular season games total 8 games) before he was flipped to the right side for the Rams 5th regular season game. Its my position that Brown was not playing poorly @ OLG & was doing just fine but it was GRob who was having serious issues with knowing what to do on each & every play. Saffold was moved to the OLG to assist GRob. Brown is strong lefty & he started as you eluded to 3 seasons in college on the left side. Brown in TC did work both OG posts initially but settle as I said @ OLG. Saffold could have had something to do with Brown going left too because Saffold does seem to favor the ORG post over the OLG . But I have no inside info on this StealYoGurley.

I have suspected that Brown is a far better stump remover in the run game than Wichmann is. Thus we see the much stronger Brown remain on that right strong side to give that side more power. Not saying Wichmann is weak but Brown is just stronger going up against the large NT or DT's. Wichmann must have improve his footwork to find a starting spot @ the OLG post.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Bad as our offense was last year and everything starts up front. It these guys are gettin it done, leave it alone. When Hav comes back we'll have quality depth.