How do you feel about goff ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
First, he looked a hellava lot better than he did in preseason. He made calls at the line after seeing the defense, was confident in what he was doing, didn't seem scared to me. Some throws were high, and he was limited by the play calling; for his first NFL start I saw enough to make me want to see more. QB play wasn't the reason we lost the game. Finally, no ints, no to, no bad snap exchanges------and most importantly, he's going to get better so I'll take it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Goff showed a lot of what I loved about him as a prospect. Great pocket presence, ability to move in and out of the pocket. A good arm and leader. The offensive game plan left a lot to be desired.

bluecoconuts

Legend
His ability to move around in the pocket and avoid pressure was outstanding. He threw the ball into some tight windows with some good zip on it.

A few times he held onto the ball too long, without looking at the all 22 tape, I'm certain there were plays he left out there. There were times the ball go away from him a little, hard to say how much was timing, how much was weather, how much was just being a rookie.

Either way I was encouraged, there were things he did (move in the pocket, escape pressure, extend plays) that Case can't do. Areas where he was weak on are things that should improve as he gets more experience and progresses throughout his career.

Goff wasn't amazing, he wasn't bad. I would have hoped for more, but I think the weather made Fisher more conservative (something he alluded to during the game) with the play calling.

Above all else, I wanted to see some of the elite traits that he showed in college, and he did just that.

This video has a great breakdown of what makes Goff a special QB, that ability to move and escape in the pocket is a common trait that tends to separate the QB's who are among the best in the league for most of their careers and those who may have a good year or two, and then that's about it.

As the game goes on you can see him get more comfortable, move in the pocket, work through progressions and throw some nice balls. You can also see that a lot of the play calling was deigned to get the ball out quick and work short passes.

Watch the play at the 2:10 mark, it's 3rd and 10 backed up at their own 8 yard line. The pocket collapsed, and Goff was able to avoid the pressure, roll out and hit Kendricks for a first down. That's a big boy play.

I liked what I saw, I think there's a lot of potential. They need better play calling obviously.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Wanted to keep this out the vent thread. How do you tell the gal wonderkid did

I honestly thought he had a good game ... didn't make any glaring mistakes showed some real moxy in the pocket .. thought ronde barber was a tad unfair on some of his critique of goff

Despite the loss I came away feeling pretty confident about his future

I totally agree.
Me too.

Ellard80

Legend
He was decisive for the most part... however some of those quick decisions were wrong...

But dude playing in his first game ever... on this offensive team.

Yeah did okay.

TXRams86

The Infamous
His ability to move around in the pocket and avoid pressure was outstanding. He threw the ball into some tight windows with some good zip on it.

A few times he held onto the ball too long, without looking at the all 22 tape, I'm certain there were plays he left out there. There were times the ball go away from him a little, hard to say how much was timing, how much was weather, how much was just being a rookie.

Either way I was encouraged, there were things he did (move in the pocket, escape pressure, extend plays) that Case can't do. Areas where he was weak on are things that should improve as he gets more experience and progresses throughout his career.

Goff wasn't amazing, he wasn't bad. I would have hoped for more, but I think the weather made Fisher more conservative (something he alluded to during the game) with the play calling.

Above all else, I wanted to see some of the elite traits that he showed in college, and he did just that.

This video has a great breakdown of what makes Goff a special QB, that ability to move and escape in the pocket is a common trait that tends to separate the QB's who are among the best in the league for most of their careers and those who may have a good year or two, and then that's about it.

As the game goes on you can see him get more comfortable, move in the pocket, work through progressions and throw some nice balls. You can also see that a lot of the play calling was deigned to get the ball out quick and work short passes.

Watch the play at the 2:10 mark, it's 3rd and 10 backed up at their own 8 yard line. The pocket collapsed, and Goff was able to avoid the pressure, roll out and hit Kendricks for a first down. That's a big boy play.

I liked what I saw, I think there's a lot of potential. They need better play calling obviously.

I didn't watch the game but from the second video you posted, I don't see a "scared" quarterback.
He stood in the pocket and delivered (to the best of his ability) and didn't fold.
I agree with you on that 3 and 10 play, definitely a big boy play.

Play calling appears to be the typical garbage we're used to seeing.
Think we got a good one on our hands though...he just needs time and experience.
Oh and a better coaching staff to get him to his potential.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of you guys crack me up.

It wasn't his fault that GRob stole that first down from him late in the game when he made a great play he could build on by scrambling to move the chains. Wasn't his fault the defense effin caved like they went into post-game shower mode by giving up two easy drives with defensive penalty assists on each. Wasn't his fault Fish made them go into PREVENT OFFENSE with half the fourth quarter to go, handing a very good Miami defense an easy time of getting the ball back and fueling their comeback.

The kid played solid for his first game. He did not make any big mistakes, first off. Was careful with the ball. Kept the team in the game and would have done enough if only a few other players had not let their team down.

They have a QB who allows them to open up this offense, but they dumbed down his opportunities far too much in this game. Fish and Boras create a game situation where there is no room for error due to extreme conservatism. If they don't open up this offense they're gonna lose a lot more games and they won't make it to the end of the season. They should be fired now for that BS display of paranoid offense, going into their shell willingly in the game's crucial moments.

Seriously, I genuinely hope Fisher is fired now. Tonight. I can't take any more of his stupidity and lack of feel on offense, nor his excuses for his bad players.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Fish talked about expanding the playbook but I didn't see that at all. Seemed it was heavily limited.

Hopefully that was due to the weather and we'll see more next week.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I was impressed with Goff's demeanor in the pocket. I surely didn't see a scared QB. I'm sure he missed a few adjustments during the game like rookies do but overall, satisfactory . I don't believe he even had a delay of game although the play clock was consistently under 3 or 4 seconds at just about every snap. I look forward to seeing how he plays in a dome on the road next week. That will let us know a lot more about his development at this point. Of course, the game plan will probably be numbingly predictable as usual. Goff does give us a reason to still watch this Rams team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was impressed with Goff's demeanor in the pocket. I surely didn't see a scared QB. I'm sure he missed a few adjustments during the game like rookies do but overall, satisfactory . I don't believe he even had a delay of game although the play clock was consistently under 3 or 4 seconds at just about every snap. I look forward to seeing how he plays in a dome on the road next week. That will let us know a lot more about his development at this point. Of course, the game plan will probably be numbingly predictable as usual. Goff does give us a reason to still watch this Rams team.

We're playing the Saints in a dome next week. There's no excuse for them to not come out firing. This is the sort of game where you let Goff come out guns blazing. The Saints have a terrible defense. Let Goff build up his confidence and get mistakes out of the way against a defense that is less capable of capitalizing.

Some of you guys crack me up.

It wasn't his fault that GRob stole that first down from him late in the game when he made a great play he could build on by scrambling to move the chains. Wasn't his fault the defense effin caved like they went into post-game shower mode by giving up two easy drives with defensive penalty assists on each. Wasn't his fault Fish made them go into PREVENT OFFENSE with half the fourth quarter to go, handing a very good Miami defense an easy time of getting the ball back and fueling their comeback.

The kid played solid for his first game. He did not make any big mistakes, first off. Was careful with the ball. Kept the team in the game and would have done enough if only a few other players had not let their team down.

They have a QB who allows them to open up this offense, but they dumbed down his opportunities far too much in this game. Fish and Boras create a game situation where there is no room for error due to extreme conservatism. If they don't open up this offense they're gonna lose a lot more games and they won't make it to the end of the season. They should be fired now for that BS display of paranoid offense, going into their shell willingly in the game's crucial moments.

Seriously, I genuinely hope Fisher is fired now. Tonight. I can't take any more of his stupidity and lack of feel on offense, nor his excuses for his bad players.

Let's be real, Merlin. If this was Keenum who played the game, we'd be ripping him. Goff didn't give the game away, but he also didn't do enough to win. Yes, the coaches take some blame for the overly conservative gameplan. Goff also takes some blame for leaving some plays on the field. Ultimately, there was good and bad. But there was more than enough good to build on and more than enough good to see that this kid has a bright future once the game slows down for him.

Personally, this was the thing I hated about sitting him for as long as we did. It doesn't matter who you are. It takes time for the game to slow down for you. The only way that happens is by getting real reps in real games.

Well, I guess you don't need the game to slow down for you if you have the best OL in the NFL giving you all day to throw. But that's not a luxury we have.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't read all of the posts before me, but this loss is not on the kid.

One pass that should have been picked off, he stared down the WR the whole way, which will get you killed in this league, so he dodged a bullet there... I also did not see insane accuracy on intermediate throws, like I expected, which was disappointing to me. I was impressed that his stick body held up to some pretty good shots, which was something I was concerned about. His accuracy was affected, i am sure, by the pass rush, even though his best throw of the night was a short pass that beat the oncoming blitz early in the game. He did not look lost out there, just limited by the scheme and the inability of our Oline to pass-protect for any length of time. He did move around pretty well, but needs to understand that he can't scramble forever, because there are big scary fast guys on his @ss when he's trying make things happen.

Will he be great? Who knows. I look forward to him understanding more, and the "game slowing down" effect. This isn't Kurt Warner in 1999, which rarely ever happens for a new starter like that...Which makes 1999 ever more special in retrospect, to me.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
Probably will not be the popular opinion, but he should have never been drafted by the Rams. Mannion should have been the guy from game one this year.
I AGEE %100 and have since day one. Mansion not getting a snap last season was about as stupid a thing as I've seen. 3rd red pick, no idea if he can play, then they trade farm for no. 1. Mannion should have been the guy from day 1. Should have traded Keenum to Denver who I believe offered a 2nd, now Keenum nets us Zero.

And if they still had to draft a qb, Wentz was and remains the prototype qb, who happened to run an offense eerily similar to the one the Rams try to run. We drafted a weaker armed, slower, smaller qb who had never taken a snap under center, made a read, and who was obviously inferior, and we paid out the nose to do so.

Go Fisher

Now about Goff Sunday. I actually think given the fact that Fisher wouldn't call a play past 10 yards, and the opponents defense didn't have to worry about 2/3 of the field, I think the kid was brilliant. I feared interceptions, fumbles, just complete collapse. I was extremely encouraged, just hope this regime does not ruin him before we can get a Real Head coach and a REAL QB coach in to help him.
Just so all the naysayers who will undoubtedly say I'm an idiot, which seems to be the general attitude around here toward someone who actually knows the game and posts the truth, can't say I'm not an honest guy, I now admit Greg Robinson son was one of my worst calls of all time. He is hopeless at LT. I'm hoping we can salvage him at guard, as physically the kid is just ridiculous. I will say the this is another instance where Fisher and his stubbornness has hurt us. Boudreau is garbage. One line in Atlanta played better than they were drafted, and suddenly this guy is given care blanche like his name is Hudson Houk. Boudreau has not developed one lineman in his time here. He needs to be fired twice.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Looked like a 22 year old rookie pretty much. I liked the pocket awareness. I also liked the throws into tight windows, even if they were dangerous. Footwork needs to be better to keep him from sailing those throws to the sideline. Looking forward to next week.

Ram Pat

Rookie
Goff did ok considering ....O-line and rec will not allow him to ever see if he can "push" the ball down the field. Funny how Dallas, Oak, and Atl all got their lines together. Mack and Hud were FA... . Best ball Goff threw was contested out route to Tavon, and baby T-Rex arms doesn't realize body position .... just hard to watch them waste Gurley and the defense , and sadly Goff if they don't get someone in to build and navigate O side of ball.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Goff did ok considering ....O-line and rec will not allow him to ever see if he can "push" the ball down the field. Funny how Dallas, Oak, and Atl all got their lines together. Mack and Hud were FA... . Best ball Goff threw was contested out route to Tavon, and baby T-Rex arms doesn't realize body position .... just hard to watch them waste Gurley and the defense , and sadly Goff if they don't get someone in to build and navigate O side of ball.

the bits in bold ...got me thinking along with the game ,,i know Boras is our OC but is this his Playbook ..his he the guy that designs the play ? when i think of of our defense and GW i can see him bolting upright in bed at 3.30am and scribbling plays down with exotic blitzes and coverage ...i dont get that feeling with boras ....i can imagine them looking at other plays already out and changing the routes in crayon ;)

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'll echo some other folks, I was impressed with his extending the plays through pocket awareness. Also he showed very good decision making regarding getting rid of the ball. The one almost pick was more on Tavon to me for not having the outside position on the DB. He looked a heck of a lot more comfortable back there than he did in preseason to me.

TheBunk

Rookie
That hot read to Cooper against the blitz for a first down was impressive. No way he would have made that read and throw in the preseason.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Meh...he's not first round talent...there's a reason they measure hand size...I see why you always go BPA...he's not bad...but if his next 6 starts don't look considerably better....sheesh

If he starts week one like this, fine...by week 10 he wins this game...now, he just looks behind...

And while this is a goff thread, I will say it here, Boras/Weinke/Groh are probably finished...dudes don't have a clue on how to get a team in the endzone consistently..

A55VA6

Legend
Goff's ability in the pocket is pretty close to elite in my opinion. His release is pretty damn quick too.

Goff looked really composed yesterday and I thought he handled blitzes pretty well. Just happy he didn't turn the ball over.

I think the rain played a factor in some of his high throws, but we'll see next weekend with weather not being a factor in the dome.

But overall, Goff looked fine but the coaches leave me a little frustrated. I think we were way too conservative in the 4th qtr and penalties killed us. That's on the coaches.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yes, Tannehill had two good drives for touchdowns in the fourth quarter to come back, but neither team was really lighting it up, which is kind of the expected outcome for two defensive teams on a rainy day.

That said, our young quarterback did not throw an interception all game, and if I remember right Tannehill did have one interception and at least two more close calls.

My perception is that the Rams offense actually seemed more in control on possession and position for the first three quarters. They just couldn't keep it up offensively or defensively in the fourth quarter.

Here's what I didn't like offensively:
Kendricks, two false starts and a drop. He didn't have a good game, really.
Robinson, for his boneheaded block to the back on a player who really didn't have a chance on Goff anyway. But he did have a pretty good game, eh?

Here's what I really liked from Goff:
When he picked up that blitz and completed to, was it Quick or Britt?

Sorry, my memory is fuzzy. That was a fun game between two very evenly matched teams. I just didn't like the ending.