How different our division would be, had the 49'ers selected Aaron Rodgers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...y-49ers-passed-on-him-with-no-1-pick-in-2005/

It's been 11 years since the 2005 NFL Draft, and at this point, it's probably safe to say that the 49ers kind of blew it with the No. 1 overall pick.

At the time, the 49ers needed a quarterback, so it was pretty clear they were going to take one of two guys: Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers.

If 49ers fans had gotten to make the selection, San Francisco probably would've drafted Rodgers. The quarterback was popular in the Bay Area because he grew up in Northern California (Chico) and attended a Bay Area college (Cal).

Unfortunately, fans don't have any say in the draft, so the 49ers took Smith.

So why did the 49ers spurn their hometown hero?

Rodgers was asked that exact question during a recent appearance on the HBO show Any Given Wednesday. If you're a 49ers fan, you might not want to read any further because the answer is so ridiculous that it might make you cry.

"The story that I heard, and I don't know if it's true or not, was that Mike Nolan said that when he saw Alex open the car door for his mom, he knew that was the quarterback he wanted," Rodgers said.

Um, what? The 49ers picked Smith because he opened the car door for his mom!

Apparently, Rodgers never got a chance to match Smith in the manners department.

"I was at lunch with [the 49ers]," Rodgers said. "My mom wasn't there. My dad wasn't there."

Although Rodgers' story sounds unbelievable, it might actually be true. Back in April, Nolan admitted that there was no real football reason for picking Smith over Rodgers. The former 49ers coach said the team went with Smith because Rodgers was "too cocky."

"I just laugh at stories like that because it has nothing to do with being a quarterback," Rodgers said of Nolan's reasoning.

Based on Nolan's record in San Francisco (18-37), it doesn't seem like there were many real football reason for any draft pick he made.

Anyway, despite the fact that Smith went No. 1 and Rodgers fell all the way to No. 24, the two didn't let that get between them: Rodgers and Smith are still friends.

"I love Alex," Rodgers said. "Alex is one of my favorite guys in the league and it's been fun to watch him grow and get into a situation where he can excel and be the quarterback we all expect him to be. He's done an incredible job being efficient, making plays and doing what he does."

Although things have worked out for Rodgers, 49ers fans are still kind of bitter about the whole thing.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I was living in Utah before that draft, and I was caught up in the Alex Smith hype. But he earned it! He could do it all and had a better college career than Rodgers. He led Utah to an undefeated season and a #5 national ranking. (should have been higher!).

Besides, the 49ers weren't the only team that missed on Rodgers. Every team had a shot at him before he fell to the Pack at the end of round 1.

The fact that 49er fans are bitter makes me like Alex Smith even more! Now, if could make the HOF as a Chief.... :LOL:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
His career might have ended up differently too, he was lucky he got to sit behind Brett Favre for so many years. It extended his career.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
His career might have ended up differently too, he was lucky he got to sit behind Brett Favre for so many years. It extended his career.
And, JMHO, It proved to be the perfect spot for Rodgers!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I never did like Rogers for the exact reason of him being "too cocky". He's always got that smirk on his face, and he's a bit of a jerk.
That being said, I'm sure glad the 69ers didn't draft him.

jap

Legend
The '9er fans bitterness doesn't come close to mine when the Horns (and damn near everyone else!) passed on Joe Montana. This is the guy who, as an underclassman, Notre Dame would bring in during the 4th quarter to bring them back from 1, 2, 3! TDs down to ultimate victory. He was virtually a proven winner in my mind, although I knew most teams would balk at his slight frame.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I never did like Rogers for the exact reason of him being "too cocky". He's always got that smirk on his face, and he's a bit of a jerk.
That being said, I'm sure glad the 69ers didn't draft him.

Smug is a pretty good word. Got to admit though, when he brought a bottle of purple crush to his press conference after whooping ass on the Vikes a couple years back, I was rolling. He played it perfectly.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The years of being on the bottom of the division would have sucked harder as we watch the whiners win at least one championship with that dude at QB. And if the Harbaugh hire happened with Rogers at QB he probably would have won a couple.

Whiner problems are going to be even worse when the Rams hit on the bay area kid that should have been their QB. It's gonna be glorious.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rodgers wasn't considered a top ten pick back then. I recall him being projected being taken just outside of the top ten. Smith was the no Brainer that year.