How concerned are you with our WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not all that concerned, they are good enough to get the job done on this team. I think Quick will be a better option than Givens but this team was never going to have one guy putting up "true #1" stats. They will all get 3-5 targets a game maybe someone turns into Sam's guy but it is more likely that he will throw to 5-8 different receivers WR/TE/RB each game.

Volnerman08

Rookie
I'm really not worried at all. I think with Bradford back we'll see Givens become that deep threat again. I also think Tavon will take over the slot position and make it his own. Maybe I'm crazy but I also think this is Quick year to shine...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1850924.jpg

Austin Franklin, WR
School: New Mexico State | Conference: BELT
College Experience: Junior | Hometown: Dallas, TX
Height/Weight: 5-11 / 189 lbs.
Projected Ranking
Overall Position Proj. Rnd.
317 40 7-FA
  • Player Lowdown
    Combine Results
    40 Yd 20 Yd 10 Yd 225 Bench Vertical jump Broad Shuttle 3-Cone Drill
    4.56 2.55 1.58 07 36 10'4" 4.33 7.07
    Workout Results
    40 Yd 20 Yd 10 Yd 225 Bench Vertical jump Broad Shuttle 3-Cone Drill
    4.69 2.78 1.63 09 - 10'04" 4.25 -
    Strengths Weaknesses
    STRENGTHS: Boasts impressive acceleration, making him a legitimate threat to gain significant yardage after the catch. Fights through contact, dropping his shoulders, spinning and keeping his legs churning to force defenders to tackle him, rather than falling down once contact is initiated. Strong hands to pluck outside of his frame. Times his leap well and competes for jump balls against bigger, more physical defenders. Good vision to set up blocks. Elected to sign with New Mexico State out of high school after being recruited by the likes of Utah, Utah State and Vanderbilt, among others. WEAKNESSES: Possesses a slim build, including in his lower body. Impressive initial acceleration but tops out quickly and dominated against low, slower competition. Isn't as quick laterally as he is vertically. Wasn't asked to run a full-complement of routes in this offense; mostly drags across the middle and quick screens to get him the ball in space. Doesn't attack holes on kick returns with the same determination as he does as a receiver. Academic suspension could be taken as a red flag that Franklin may struggle to handle a complicated playbook. COMPARES TO: T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts - Hilton has emerged as one of the most exciting young slot receivers in the league, a fact that is aided by the brilliant passing of Andrew Luck. Franklin will need to be just as fortunate with his quarterback fit and work hard to convert to a pro-style offense to enjoy the same early success as Hilton but the playmaking ability is there. Like Hilton, Franklin possesses a lanky build and is surprisingly tough as well as lightning quick. --Rob Rang (2/5/14)
    Player Overview
    When discussing playmaking wide receivers out "west," USC's Marqise Lee, Fresno State's Davante Adams and Colorado's Paul Richardson are often mentioned. Playing for New Mexico State of the Independent League didn't get Franklin much national attention but savvy scouts certainly know his name. Soon, you might too. New Mexico State clearly knew the caliber of athlete they had with Franklin, utilizing him not only at wide receiver but as kick returner and Wildcat quarterback, as well. He missed the first four games of the 2013 season due to an academic suspension but certainly showed off his playmaking ability once on the field, scoring seven touchdowns in just eight games. He played in 33 games for the Aggies over the last three seasons, catching 160 passes for 2,439 yards and 19 touchdowns and showed the ability to step up against top competition, hauling in seven passes for 154 yards against Auburn in 2012 and 10 catches for 145 yards and two touchdowns in a close loss to Boston College in 2013. Like Lee and Richardson, Franklin projects best in the slot where his burst and willingness to fight through arm tackles can best result in big plays. Likely to still be available in the middle or even later rounds, he could ultimately prove a better value than some of his more well-known peers.
  • http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1850924/austin-franklin

wrstdude

Rookie
You bring up an interesting point.

I wonder how much better these WRs would perform if Brady or Brees was their QB.

That's an easy one. 0%.

Now you may argue that playing in a different scheme could utilize their skill set better, but that's not the same thing.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The Rams' receivers gelled and stopped dropping balls the second half of the season. With Sam they dropped 21 balls, 4 of which were TDs. If the dropsies are truly over, this group has plenty of talent to get it done.

Only Manning had more TDs than Bradford.

Austin is the real deal. He was dropping balls early on and lost many big pays and TDs to penalties. The penalties calmed down later in the season. I expect a super star season from TA with SB under center.

Cook is statistically the best TE to ever play for the Rams. With Sam back I expect another big season from him. The other TEs would start on most other teams.

The rest are all potential but there IS a lot of potential.

I would add a vet for 1 year just as security or grab a good young one long term.

In the end though, I'm not that worried.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
I would bring in Santonio Holmes in on a similar contract to Britt. He knows the system and posted 19 ypc while banged up last year. If he sucks, cut him. I have little faith in our WRs. It's by far our weak link. I understand we will be a run oriented team, but you still have to be a threat to pass. We need help.

bbach

UDFA
I think we have an ok group of WRs - we have a big play potential in Givens, a potential #1 WR in Britt, and lets not forget last years most coveted WR in Tavon Austin couple those guys with our TE's Cook and Kendricks and I think we'll be just fine - that's before we talk about Bailey (I can see him being great with Sam) and Quick (who knows?!).

But the reason I think we'll be ok is that we will see Stacy and Mason bulldozing guys first and foremost... we'll see opposing D's watching the big run then we'll just dink it to Cook or Austin

I agree. We have a good group of receivers. We don't have that "one" really great receiver, but we have the surrounding cast. If someone steps up things could turn out great. If not, it's receiver by committee. Remember how Warner would spread the ball around? They used to talk about how many different players caught a pass from him. Bradford can learn to spread it around. We have decent running backs who can catch. We have decent tight ends and a decent crew of wide receivers. What we need is game planning and creativity from the OC.

fearsomefour

Legend
Johnson, Boldin, Crabtree, Davis....
Outside of what SF has (being able to land Boldin and Johnson for next to nothing really bolstered them) the NFC is awash of average at the receiving positions.
Britt, Austin, Cook....there are potential playmakers there.
It really comes down to running the ball which comes back to our old nemesis, the O line.
Signing a vet receiver like Holmes will not propel the Rams to wins in our division. Controlling the clock and being able to have a meaningful play action will. Bradford doesn't need to throw for 320 + yards a game. He needs to be efficient. The Rams shouldn't need to score 31 points to win a lot of games. They need a couple of key plays a game from their WRs. If Schottenheimer needs to simplify the passing game for the WRs to get it fine. The running game allows for all of this.

FRO

Legend
And do you blame him with the WRs that he has to work with right now?
I don't blame him at all. You can't throw a 50/50 pass to anyone in this group and feel good about the chances of them winning the battle. Our receivers are lower tier quality guys. That being said multiple guys have the potential to step up and make this group solid to good, but we just haven't seen that yet.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Tavon Austin is in his second year, and there was a learning curve for both sides. When Shottenheimer started using him at spit end and flanker positions in that Colts game he really broke out. I think it's obvious that he has what it takes and he seriously could be the guy on multiple tight end sets.

FRO

Legend
Johnson, Boldin, Crabtree, Davis....
Outside of what SF has (being able to land Boldin and Johnson for next to nothing really bolstered them) the NFC is awash of average at the receiving positions.
Britt, Austin, Cook....there are potential playmakers there.
It really comes down to running the ball which comes back to our old nemesis, the O line.
Signing a vet receiver like Holmes will not propel the Rams to wins in our division. Controlling the clock and being able to have a meaningful play action will. Bradford doesn't need to throw for 320 + yards a game. He needs to be efficient. The Rams shouldn't need to score 31 points to win a lot of games. They need a couple of key plays a game from their WRs. If Schottenheimer needs to simplify the passing game for the WRs to get it fine. The running game allows for all of this.
Arizona has Fitzgerald and Floyd. Floyd was a 1,000 yard receiver in his second year. Seattle has Harvin. We have Austin who may develop into a Desean Jackson type. That has to be the hope anyways.

fearsomefour

Legend
Arizona has Fitzgerald and Floyd. Floyd was a 1,000 yard receiver in his second year. Seattle has Harvin. We have Austin who may develop into a Desean Jackson type. That has to be the hope anyways.
Yeah I forgot Harvin as he wasn't around all season. I was hoping he would leave the division.
Fitz is in decline to me. Floyd is good. Arizona could very well be on the same track as us, rebuilding their line and wanting to run the ball.
This division is so tough. There is a reasonable chance whoever wins the NFC West goes to the Superbowl. Whoever comes out on top will be battle tested.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Let me preface this by saying that, obviously, the Rams have chosen their course (and I think and hope, the player they felt was the best player overall, not just a scheme fit guy) and naturally, I hope it works out. I'm not even going to call the choice they made wrong as I don't believe there was a wrong choice between our top 3 options.

That said, I don't think our WRs are bad at all. My thought was merely that having a real #1 would draw coverage away from other WRs and make them all better. Quick, Bailey or Britt MAY step up into that level, but I'm kind of feeling like it will be a pleasant surprise if that happens. I also worry that in a run first offense, it'll be hard for Sam to look like a #1 overall pick.

As others have pointed out, we don't necessarily NEED a #1 to succeed, and outside of that lack of a #1, I like our WRs. If no one steps up, I can see it being an offseason priority next year. Hopefully we won't need another tackle then.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
An indicator of success would be Quick and Britt earning the starting positions because of there play and production.
We would then have 2 receivers that meet todays NFL prototype with great options in the multiple receiver sets and sub alternates with an improved Givens ( hopefully ) and a developing Bailey when he comes back. Pettis could then be our 3rd down and short yardage guy using his big frame to shield defenders off and grab the 3rd down passes from SB with Austin as our versitile not so secret weapon.

FRO

Legend
Demoff said in an interview that Bailey was a projected starter. Had he not been suspended I would be much more comfortable with our WR group. I think he is ready to be a very solid WR. Let's hope Tavon has put in the work and improved his route running skills. I think he could be a very good player for us.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
As many have stated here, I too am not as worried about the WRs as some are. The reason is tied to a variety of things:

* We have 5 WRs that have potential ability to become stars
* We have a much better Offensive line for both running and passing
* We have a solid to great running game this year
* Everyone has one more year of experience
* Gregg Williams was handed the Defensive keys
* We have a better backup QB if Sam goes down

FRO

Legend
As many have stated here, I too am not as worried about the WRs as some are. The reason is tied to a variety of things:

* We have 5 WRs that have potential ability to become stars
* We have a much better Offensive line for both running and passing
* We have a solid to great running game this year
* Everyone has one more year of experience
* Gregg Williams was handed the Defensive keys
* We have a better backup QB if Sam goes down
I strongly disagree with this point. We have guys that could be quality number 2 guys in Givens and Bailey. We have boom or bust guys in Britt and Quick who have number 1 potential. We have Tavon who can be a threat, but he isn't a prototype number 1. I do think he can be a star. And you have Pettis who is a good rotation player. You don't have 5 guys who can be stars.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not worried. If it wasn't obvious enough from our draft that we are looking to be a run-to-setup-the-pass team, then I don't know what more evidence you need.

Would I like the offense to be more vertical? Sure....it is exciting to watch. Do I think we will be more successful with the ground and pound, PA pass variety offense? Absolutely. It is all about creating matchups, and then going out and winning them. Snisher have chosen to create possible MISmatches all along the OL and DL.

Think of it like a boxing match. I expect us to run the ball and DARE opponents to stop it. When they load the box to stop the gut punches, Tavon/Givens/Cook/Quick/Britt will be left one on one for the head shot.

I think if we can stick to the game plan we're fine, a team takes us out of that then we're in a bad way.

dhaab

Rookie
I'm concerned, but I think this year will prove to be a defining one for multiple receivers on this team. If Quick doesn't show marked improvement on his route running and consistency, then I think his days will be numbered. He's had 3 years to figure things out. I wouldn't be nearly as concerned if Bailey wasn't suspended for our first 4 games, as I really thought he came on at the end of last season and was hoping for good things from him. That's a huge hit to this team, BUT those first 3 games are very winnable, so it may not hurt us as much as I think.