How Cignetti used Gurley & Austin in the running game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This is a solid easy to understand breakdown of how former OC Frank Cignetti was able to incorporate Tavon Austin into the ground game with Gurley in 2015.
Obviously McVay is not Cignetti(thankfully) but some of these rushing concepts i believe could fit into our current personnel. I'd like to see Austin worked back into the running game this season. It looks like we've finally got some WR talent outside with Watkins, Woods, Reynolds, Thomas and inside with Kupp and the TE Everett.

Anyway, i'm not ready to jettison Tavon Austin just yet.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Me neither Mojo....I'll be interested to see how McVay wants to use him....Tavon should be excited.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think the plan was to use Austin as a deep threat, and he still will at times, but with Dunbar out for who knows how long, Austin will get some reps again as a change of pace/scat back/jet sweep kind of option again. At least I hope so. He did his best when used at RB/WR/PR, not just WR/PR.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Tavon is a square peg in a round hole in this offense. Besides being overpaid, McVay's scheme will have to change to accommodate Tavon. I don't think his contract is worth it. Too bad he is injured. They could have showcased him to see if they could get a good return. If anyone offered a first, I would jump. Even a second. Otherwise see what they can figure out. I would be hesitant to trade him for less right away.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Go double TE left side, TA in motion from opposite outside, fake jet sweep to double TE side while Watkins runs seam go route from right side slot, inside TE slip blocks man then runs down and across into open space behind watkins. Watkins blocks downfield. TD