How Can Frank Cignetti Get Most out of Offense in 2015?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
How Can Frank Cignetti Get Most out of Offense in 2015?
By Travis Wakeman , Featured Columnist
Jul 16, 2015

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rank-cignetti-get-most-out-of-offense-in-2015

Jeff Fisher will be returning for his fourth season as head coach of the St. Louis Rams, and he'll be doing so with a new offensive coordinator on his staff.

Frank Cignetti was promoted from the team's quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator. He's taking over for Brian Schottenheimer, who left for the University of Georgia. Though Cignetti has served as quarterbacks coach with four NFL teams, he has never been an offensive coordinator at the professional level.

Taken over play-calling duties could prove challenging for the first-year coordinator, but he also has the talent that should allow him to stick to a fairly simplistic formula.

So how can he get the most out of the offense? First, let's take a look at what should be the most effective starting lineup on offense once the season starts:

Quarterback: Nick Foles
Running Back: Todd Gurley
Wide Receivers: Kenny Britt, Brian Quick
Left Tackle: Greg Robinson
Left Guard: Rodger Saffold
Center: Barrett Jones
Right Guard: Jamon Brown
Right Tackle: Rob Havenstein
Tight Ends: Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks

This proposed starting lineup would be young, especially along the offensive line. However, an emphasis should be placed on the fact that the offensive line will be one of the biggest keys for the Rams in 2015—particularly in the passing game with a new quarterback under center.

Looking at the entire roster, the Rams are a team that could have a very stingy defense to go along with a potentially explosive offense. This makes them a team on the move and one which will not roll over for anyone in this coming season.

Here's a look at how Cignetti and his offense can do their part in keeping the Rams competitive.

Stick to a Run-Heavy Game Plan

Toward the end of last season, the Rams began to create an identity based around lining up and running the ball right at their opponents. This should be expanded upon this season.

Gurley being chosen in the first round gives the team one of the best running backs to come out of the college ranks in several years. He must first prove that he is healthy following a torn ACL that ended his 2014 season, but if he does, look out.

Gurley provides the team with a player who runs very well. He demonstrates an explosive burst to the hole and has great acceleration. In the open field, he has the strength to run over and through defenders.

In addition, Gurley is a terrific receiver out of the backfield.

But Cignetti can't forget about Tre Mason. Though Mason will likely have his role scaled back following a solid rookie season, he should be a perfect complement to what Gurley brings. If Mason embraces this role, Cignetti can form a formidable two-headed monster in the backfield.

Gurley doesn't have to be thrust into the position of playing 75 percent or more of the snaps either. Cignetti could use the two running backs nearly equally, and it's not hard to imagine them each racking up 1,000 yards on the ground.

Cignetti needs to have a run-first mentality this season.

Running the ball between the tackles will be key, and if the team is able to move the chains by grinding out tough yards, it will take pressure off the team's new quarterback, who is also coming off a season-ending injury.

According to Team Rankings, the Rams averaged 24.7 rushing attempts per game last season. Only eight teams ran the ball less frequently. With backup quarterbacks running the offense the entire season, that made almost no sense.

In 2015, Cignetti should have a goal of averaging 30 rushing attempts per game. Foles can be a good play-action passer, and a solid running game would only strengthen his ability in that area.

Get Creative with Tavon Austin

Fans may have been frustrated with the way Schottenheimer used former first-round pick Tavon Austin, so this is Cignetti's chance to make up for it.

While Austin should be a dominant receiver in the slot, he hasn't lived up to that potential in the NFL. His biggest contributions have come as a punt returner, and those numbers are hardly worth the No. 8 overall pick in the draft.

For ideas on how to get Austin more involved, the Rams need to look no further than their division rivals, the Seattle Seahawks, and how they once used Percy Harvin. In fact, the tape from Super Bowl XLVIII against the Denver Broncos will show how a player like Harvin or Austin can completely change a game.

The Seahawks lined Harvin up all over the field in that game, getting him the ball multiple ways.

But it was the matchups they were able to create with Harvin that made the most difference. Anyone who can remember the game can likely still see the image of Russell Wilson lobbing the ball over a helpless Champ Bailey into the waiting arms of Harvin for a big gain.

Then, Harvin returned the kickoff to start the second half for a touchdown. The game was over at that point.

Austin is capable of the exact same thing.

In addition to returning kicks, Austin has made an impact lining up as a running back. In fact, he has more than half as many rushing yards as he does receiving yards in his career, and he has three rushing touchdowns to just four receiving touchdowns.

The Rams could line Austin up at running back on maybe 10 snaps per game to keep defenses guessing. They could hand him the ball, but they could also create mismatches in the passing game from this position. If they could get Austin matched up against a linebacker over the middle, a perfect throw from Foles could turn a short pass into a touchdown.

Foles was able to make big plays with Darren Sproles last season with the Philadelphia Eagles by finding that same mismatch.

Finally, Austin would be a great choice to include on gimmick plays. Cignetti needs to have a few of these in his playbook, and Austin could help pull them off. This would give the Rams an edgy side that shows fans and teams around the league that they will pull out all the stops.

Spread the Field with 4 Wide Receivers

Cignetti doesn't need to call a conservative, smashmouth game for all four quarters. Foles has experience running the high-octane offense that Chip Kelly employed, and Cignetti should take advantage of that and the wide receivers he has at his disposal.

By placing Britt and Quick on the outside and Stedman Bailey and Austin on the inside, Cignetti could have some potent four-receiver sets this season.

Foles would have options everywhere. If there is no safety help, Britt will be very tough to handle in man-to-man situations. At the same time, the safeties will have to be mindful of the middle of the field, as Austin and Bailey can torch linebackers.

Finally, Foles has a good option at the tight end position in Jared Cook, who actually led the team in receptions in 2014.

The tools are in place for Foles to be successful, and he has the ability to be a very good quarterback for the team. If he fails, there is a good chance that the offensive line wasn't able to protect him or Cignetti's play-calling was to blame.

Simply put, Cignetti shouldn't ask Foles to do too much. Foles is a decent athlete with a strong arm, but Cignetti should simplify things as much as he can for him as he transitions into his new settings.

Cignetti has had success with players such as Elvis Grbac and Aaron Brooks during the various stops in his career. In 2001 with the New Orleans Saints, Brooks took over the starting quarterback role for the team and threw for 3,832 yards and 26 touchdowns. Cignetti was his quarterbacks coach.

Cignetti will be instrumental in guiding Foles to success in St. Louis, so his primary focus should be on teaching him to understand pressure and making the right reads down the field.

Establishing an effective running game will open up the play-action pass for Foles, and that is where he can hurt defenses.

Cignetti does not have to be conservative—he just needs to utilize the players he has intelligently and establish an identity on offense that will complement what should be a fierce, aggressive defense.

fearsomefour

Legend
He says pound the ball and then spread the field. To me, being able to pass using play action, to be able to pass out of some running sets will be key.
I agree with using Austin.
To me, more than anything, particularly early in the year, it comes down to avoiding turnovers.
If the D and ST can pick up where they left off the second half of the year the O doesn't need to be great. Control field position and being able to get some first down, change the field or get some FGs is key.
Turnovers or continuos 3 and outs could be too much for a good D.
Don't turn it over and let the D get turnovers and the Rams could win plenty.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah, he's contradicting himself with sticking to a run heavy game and four wide receiver sets.

I like the idea of multiple tight end two wide receiver sets, and I like using a fullback as well.

We can play to our strengths and still spread the field horizontally, and we know that Britt, Quick and Cook can stretch it vertically regardless of where they're lined up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As a run heavy team, 4 WR sets will catch the defense without the best personnel on the field.

Use it.

I am tired of letting the other team dictate play when we are on offense.

Back in the day, Martz was the master at making the other team deal with him.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I believe that we're going to see a lot more passing from the Rams than we're being led to believe - smoke and mirrors of the offseason...

fearsomefour

Legend
As a run heavy team, 4 WR sets will catch the defense without the best personnel on the field.

Use it.

Not really.
They are going to see the WRs come on the field and sub in the right package.
Passing out a running set or being able to use play action after running the ball with success will create big plays.
Martz was a master of this because he was going to do whatever he wanted regardless of what the D was doing. Usually it worked, sometimes it did not. He also had the benefit of having HOF talents at QB, RB, LT and a couple of WR.
Really, a team should be able to run or pass out of any set....except empty backfield of course.

fearsomefour

Legend
I believe that we're going to see a lot more passing from the Rams than we're being led to believe - smoke and mirrors of the offseason...
I dont disagree with this.
For the last three years Fisher has been talking about running the ball and Schotty was passing quite a bit. After drafting Austin the Rams tried an attacking spread offense and it was a disaster in a way. I think the team will be balanced. Drafting Gurley at 10 certainly does indicate a commitment to the running game however.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, he's contradicting himself with sticking to a run heavy game and four wide receiver sets.

I like the idea of multiple tight end two wide receiver sets, and I like using a fullback as well.

We can play to our strengths and still spread the field horizontally, and we know that Britt, Quick and Cook can stretch it vertically regardless of where they're lined up.
Yep.
The Rams have some versatile players. Cook can line up as a TE or out wide as a WR. Austin can line up in the backfield or outside and and run the ball, Kendricks can play at FB, TE or out wide.
The 2 WR, 2 TE sets can work well because with Cook, Kendricks and Austin you have the ability to run various sorts of sets well with the same personal.

Big Game

Living The Dream

Use it.

Exactly, that's why i believe we will run something close to the offense we had in 2012 a hybrid spread offense. And yes catching them in the wrong defensive set with 4 wides would be idea. So i'm with you the Rams have to mix it up.

You can still power run but you have to create mismatches as much as you can.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think we're going to see something similar to what Shurmer did with Bradford his rookie year.
3 step drops and short passes to keep Foles on his feet.
If the oline proves reliable. Unleash the 5 and 7 step drops.

I still think we'll throw more than run. Just not as much passing as Shotty. 55/45 passing

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pass... run... I don't care... just figure out a way to average ~22 points per game and I think the Rams will be all set! (y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Well, today's game has all the different personnel packages....Like, if we send out 4 wrs, then the defense will probably send out extra DB's....but if you use 2 TE's, then shift into a spread formation, you may create the mismatches we all like to see....
Like poster @shaunpinney says, this may all be some sort of hype....I still think, run heavy just means run on 3rd and short, or 0n the goal line/red-zone area, when the defense knows/expects it's coming....It's not going to be 60-40 run to pass ratio....Not in 2015...more like, 53-47 pass to run, which is still basically run heavy. Every game is different and dictates a certain method of attack. If the pass is working, stick with it...Short pass...screens...whatever is needed to matriculate the ball down the field....:sneaky:;)

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Or we could try the KISS theory.......block, tackle, run, throw, catch and consistently EXECUTE.

.....you know that (last) thing that's been missing (besides winning).

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There is no reason to think a professional football team can't do all of the things mentioned in this article. They should not stay in one set with the same personnel, that just doesn't happen any more. Running the ball 30 times a game not a problem if the game is close or with a big lead for the Rams. Play action absolutely not a problem with any and all packages. Throw in the empty back field once in a while to shake things up and get luck once in a while sure.

The one thing I don't like, lining up Austin in the back field and running the ball between tackles. We have 2 really good RBs once Gurley is healthy, that is their domain. Give Austin the jet sweep 2 or 3 times a game with options off that motion. Line him up in the back field and throw him the wheel route or move him outside to get mis-matches.

They can do it all but will they?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Use it.

As Martz would probably say " Letting the opponent dictate what you do makes for a Losing situation!!!!!
I'd Like to run, but be "Unpredictable"