How big of a storm......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Will rage when the Patriots fumble and drop passes in the Super Bowl???

rams2050

Starter
With our luck, they won't fumble once and won't drop a single pass.

I'm hoping, though, that they play terribly. I'd even like it if someone on the sly OVER-inflated their balls. Like by about 3# each.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
giphy.gif

rams2050

Starter
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport.../22053049/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Doyel: Deflating ball beneath most; but this is the Pats
Gregg Doyel, gregg.doyel@indystar.com

Here's the thing about DeflateGate, this silly idea that the New England Patriots used under-inflated footballs in the AFC Championship Game against the Colts:

It's not silly.

It's the Patriots.

If nothing else comes of this – and the prediction here: nothing else comes of this – we'll always have that. Lots of people will forever believe the Patriots cheated the Colts on Sunday. Why? Because it's the Patriots. And they've cheated before. This is the NFL franchise that was busted for spying on opposing teams. It is run by the same man, Bill Belichick. Either you are, or you are not, willing to cheat.

And Belichick is. The NFL found him guilty of – even responsible for – the Spygate scandal during the 2007 season. With very few exceptions, people can be divided into various either/or categories: Employed or unemployed. Smoker or nonsmoker.

Cheater or not a cheater.

Belichick's a cheat.

INDYSTAR

Report: 11 of 12 Patriots footballs under-inflated

Indiana knows about this. The Hoosiers hired Kelvin Sampson in 2007, shortly after he had been busted for NCAA recruiting violations involving impermissible phone calls at Oklahoma. The idea in Bloomington, surely, was this: No way he'd do it again.

He did it again.

Cheaters cheat. It's what they do.

Now then, is that a definitive statement that Bill Belichick or the Patriots cheated the Colts on Sunday? Nope. It is not. But it's a definitive statement that his past history of cheating makes this allegation – which is ludicrous and absurd and really, really, hard to believe – not so ludicrous. Not so absurd.

Not at all hard to believe.

This sort of thing has happened before. Deflating a football is a thing, thanks to Lane Kiffin's 2012 USC Trojans, who were fined and reprimanded by the Pac-12 for deflating footballs against Oregon. Kiffin denied it. A team equipment manager was fired. Was the equipment manager acting on his own? Well sure, that's possible.

the line starts right here – had given them credit for. The Patriots were tougher, more skilled, more poised and more innovative. In hindsight the Colts had no chance.

INDYSTAR

Colts react: 'Wouldn't matter if we played with Nerf balls'

Third: What if?

What if the NFL finds that the Patriots were in fact using a football that was deflated below regulation levels? Maybe the NFL won't be able to determine when or how it happened.

What then?

I'll tell you what should happen: The Patriots should be removed from the Super Bowl. Which means the Colts should be going to Glendale. Will this happen? Of course not, which is why I'm mentioning it way down the story – it has to be said somewhere – but not starting this column with that idea. Because it's a preposterous idea, not worthy of the headline. The NFL would never, ever remove the Patriots from the Super Bowl, even if it does find they were using illegal footballs.

Forfeiture of the AFC Championship Game should be the penalty, however, and not because "the Colts would have won otherwise." No, they would not. The Colts could have pulled the ol' switcheroo on the Patriots, using deflated balls while the Patriots were using the hard and slick ones, and the Patriots still would have won. How big? Something close to 45-7.

This isn't about the Patriots' alleged advantage. This is about their alleged intentions.

INDYSTAR

12 best social media references to Patriots' DeflateGate

Cheating can't be tolerated. Simple as that. A team can't use an under-inflated football, get caught, and then be allowed to play its next game – a game it reached by winning the one with the deflated football – as if nothing happened.

A fine? Is that the main punishment any team guilty of deflating the football should get in this circumstance? Man, fine this.

Not a fine, not a docking of draft picks, not even a lifetime suspension of Belichick, though I would support all three, if the Patriots are found guilty of cheating. Sorry -- left out a word. If the Patriots are found guilty of cheating … again.

Meantime, allow the system to run its course. The Patriots are innocent until proven guilty. They deserve that.

Even if lots of us have made up our minds already.

Because the Patriots deserve that, too.

Find Star columnist Gregg Doyel on Twitter at @GreggDoyelStar or atwww.facebook.com/gregg.doyel

Alan

Legend
8 inches at my house and we lost power. Good thing I have a backup generator.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am anxious to hear how the crowd treats the Pats at the SB.

I expect plenty of boos.

Greg Stone

Rookie
The proper punishment is for the Patriots to be forced to use balls inflated to 15.5 psi for the Superbowl and for as many years as they cheated. Except for the kickers of since they kept one ball at regulation pressure for them.

Frankly, the fact that a single ball was kept at regulation pressure is a damning piece of evidence IMO. If they had all been under-inflated the kickers would have lost distance.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The proper punishment is for the Patriots to be forced to use balls inflated to 15.5 psi for the Superbowl and for as many years as they cheated. Except for the kickers of since they kept one ball at regulation pressure for them.

Frankly, the fact that a single ball was kept at regulation pressure is a damning piece of evidence IMO. If they had all been under-inflated the kickers would have lost distance.
Actually, none of the 12 balls we're talking about was for kicking.

Kicking balls (AKA K-Balls) are kept separately and have their boxes opened by the officials 2 hours before the game, so they're not handled at all by the teams.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
8 inches at my house and we lost power. Good thing I have a backup generator.

Hope you are battening down the hatches for the coming Noreaster?

My pain meds are kicking in. Meant to also say Godspeed and stay safe brother.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Dagonet preparing for the worst:
Hope you are battening down the hatches for the coming Noreaster?
Just filled up all our gas cans for the backup generator and we're ready to go. I just hope it's not a wet snow and the weather stays cold. We must have lost about 8 or 9 trees in the last six years. Beautiful trees in our front and side yards. Now I have to go out in the middle of every storm to try and shake the trees to get some of the snow off before the limbs break. Climate change is the pits.

Our neighborhood used to be beautiful and now it's filled with deformed half broken and dying trees.

How are you holding up?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Just filled up all our gas cans for the backup generator and we're ready to go. I just hope it's not a wet snow and the weather stays cold. We must have lost about 8 or 9 trees in the last six years. Beautiful trees in our front and side yards. Now I have to go out in the middle of every storm to try and shake the trees to get some of the snow off before the limbs break. Climate change is the pits.

Our neighborhood used to be beautiful and now it's filled with deformed half broken and dying trees.

How are you holding up?

I hear ya on a wet snow. They're a biatch. I threw my back out (tore tissue) in 91 due to shoveling wet snow in March. More worse for power lines and trees too as you said above. Sucks to hear about you losing trees. On the bright side, look at the leaves you no longer have to tend to. :cool: JK.. I'll leave the climate change alone though as they run in cycles throughout history. How old were all the trees? That's a shame though.

We're all good here.. But I'm in the Midwest. A little over an hour out of St. Louis. Thanks for asking though.

Again, Godspeed to you and yours and stay safe man.

Alan

Legend
Only about 35 years old but they were beautiful. I miss them when I'm out in my yard in the summer.

I remember St. Louis area weather very well. :LOL:

You too @Dagonet . As well as all the rest of you guys.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Only about 35 years old but they were beautiful. I miss them when I'm out in my yard in the summer.

I remember St. Louis area weather very well. :LOL:

You too @Dagonet . As well as all the rest of you guys.

Gotta ask though.. Gas generators? Never checked into them, but do they sell diesel generators? Gasoline on anything makes me paranoid. :) I'm a diesel and kerosene guy though. That said, if the power goes out here, we have many oil lamps and 3 kerosene heaters and propane if needed (yeah that's worse than gasoline :) )

Have you looked into solar with batteries for a backup? Damn, we know how to derail/hijack a thread eh? :D Sorry @Ramhusker . Alan you can answer me in PM if ya wish.

Alan

Legend
Dagonet liking diesel:
Gotta ask though.. Gas generators? Never checked into them, but do they sell diesel generators? Gasoline on anything makes me paranoid. :) I'm a diesel and kerosene guy though. That said, if the power goes out here, we have many oil lamps and 3 kerosene heaters and propane if needed (yeah that's worse than gasoline :) )

Have you looked into solar with batteries for a backup? Damn, we know how to derail/hijack a thread eh? :D Sorry @Ramhusker . Alan you can answer me in PM if ya wish.

My buddy has a diesel. Cost him 3 times as much to buy and install and needs a storage container/area for the diesel fuel. Mine is a 7500W continuous gas generator that only cost me $500 brand new at Home Depot. But if I had the money I'd go for the diesel version

Solar is not an option. My buddy (paranoid buddy :LOL:) has backup batteries too. Hugely expensive and problematical to maintain.

I was going to take your advice and answer this via PM but I got to thinking that if I was a poster and had read the first few posts I'd want to know how it turned out. So...:LOL:

I'll stop now.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
My buddy has a diesel. Cost him 3 times as much to buy and install and needs a storage container/area for the diesel fuel. Mine is a 7500W continuous gas generator that only cost me $500 brand new at Home Depot. But if I had the money I'd go for the diesel version

Solar is not an option. My buddy (paranoid buddy :LOL:) has backup batteries too. Hugely expensive and problematical to maintain.

I was going to take your advice and answer this via PM but I got to thinking that if I was a poster and had read the first few posts I'd want to know how it turned out. So...:LOL:

I'll stop now.

He needs a storage area for diesel fuel and you don't need one for gasoline??? :ROFLMAO: Don't tell me it's bureaucrats now? I'm assuming the fuel storage area was the major cost for installation? That's crazy... If I had a generator, it would be diesel, and I would be able to convert it to bio-diesel. Just saying. :cool:

On solar, have you checked into the tax credits? Did your buddy? Federal still has them and they expire in 2016 I believe? Many states also have tax credits. The cost with solar is not just the panels. You have to convert that DC to AC power. We were going to do it with our house but not now as we have other problems with the house. It is on my radar though.

Again, and don't knock them until you tried them, but kerosene heaters also work very well in a pinch.. Good luck brother..

I'm thinking maybe we need a preppers thread in the Off Topic forum?? :D Just saying. :cool: