How about the O-line next yr??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No. I'm not seeing that at all. The potential is there, but it hasn't come to fruition. However the point is what to take in the 1st and 2nd round. I'm in total agreement with Fisher that EXCELLENT OLine talent is available in the later rounds! Get your skill positions early!

Have any examples of OL talent available in later rounds that Fisher has drafted in his last 3 Ram drafts? Going back 15 yrs can you give me any examples where the Rams have found excellent OL talent in the later rounds?

Rams have invested a third rd pick in 2013 for a safety-McDonald. The Rams used a 4th & a 6th rd 2015 picks for a safety-Barron. Rams used a 4th rd selection in the 2014 draft on a safety-Mo Alexander. Rams used a large chuck of UDFA cap $$ to sign a safety in 2013-Cody Davis. Rams used a 7th rd 2014 pick who is signed on our PS. for a safety- C Bryant. Fisher has suited up safety McLeod for all of his Rams games since he arrived McLeod has started every game @ safety since 2013. McLeod was a UDFA who has worked for crumbs since he arrived a great overall valued safety. Rams used a 2nd & a 5th rd 2014 draft picks on FSU's safety-Joyner

That's 7 Fisher safeties listed above where all of them are under 25 yrs of age. All look to have bright NFL future's for many years. Fisher will have used seven draft selections on safeties in the 2013/2014/2015 NFL drafts(2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th & a 7th round draft selections).

If after all the above where Fisher has used so much priceless high desired precious Ram draft wealth on the safety position & after all that we are still in need using a high draft selection on another safety? If that were true Fisher should fire himself!

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
Have any examples of OL talent available in later rounds that Fisher has drafted in his last 3 Ram drafts? Going back 15 yrs can you give me any examples where the Rams have found excellent OL talent in the later rounds?
I don't need to. The Rams success or lack thereof doesn't make the point. We KNOW there are several OLiners in the league starting that were drafted after round 3.
Rams have invested a third rd pick in 2013 for a safety-McDonald. The Rams used a 4th & a 6th rd 2015 picks for a safety-Barron. Rams used a 4th rd selection in the 2014 draft on a safety-Mo Alexander. Rams used a large chuck of UDFA cap $$ to sign a safety in 2013-Cody Davis. Rams used a 7th rd 2014 pick who is signed on our PS. for a safety- C Bryant. Fisher has suited up safety McLeod for all of his Rams games since he arrived McLeod has started every game @ safety since 2013. McLeod was a UDFA who has worked for crumbs since he arrived a great overall valued safety. Rams used a 2nd & a 5th rd 2014 draft picks on FSU's safety-Joyner

That's 7 Fisher safeties listed above where all of them are under 25 yrs of age. All look to have bright NFL future's for many years. Fisher will have used seven draft selections on safeties in the 2013/2014/2015 NFL drafts(2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th & a 7th round draft selections).

If after all the above where Fisher has used so much priceless high desired precious Ram draft wealth on the safety position & after all that we are still in need using a high draft selection on another safety? If that were true Fisher should fire himself!
That's neither here nor there at this point. The point is depending on how Barron comes around, the Rams*may need a safety...PERIOD.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't need to. The Rams success or lack thereof doesn't make the point. We KNOW there are several OLiners in the league starting that were drafted after round 3.

That's neither here nor there at this point. The point is depending on how Barron comes around, the Rams*may need a safety...PERIOD.

Your right you do not have to provide me with the excellent examples you claimed it was just my request. I was of the opinion that we were talking St Louis Rams not other NFL teams. Sorry to have asked.

I was of the impression that Mark Barron had already came around & arrived in the NFL? Barron has started since day one as a rookie @ safety. Barron has 38 NFL starts @ safety with 235 tackles since 2012 & his third season is not over yet. Barron has already started for the Rams & of the 7 safeties we have signed Barron has the most experience of all our safeties by a far margin. What are we waiting to see?

The OLine is solid. Snatch a Center in the 3rd round at the earliest.

You consider the Rams OL as being solid. Can you help me out on this comment because I sure do not see a 2015 solid Ram OL. Can I bother you to show me the solid five cadre 2015 Rams OL'ers that the Rams have that would make our 5 Ol'er SOLID? What am I missing? I want to feel good about our 2015 OL too.

The way I see it now our starting ORT Barksdale is a UFA & not under contract so in a few months JB is free to sell his talents elsewhere. Who is the Rams reserve ORT waiting to take his post? I do not know of any signed for 2015. Thus the ORT post is far from being solid. The ORG post is the same as the ORT post Joseph is a UFA & not under contract for 2015, thus once again far from solid.

At Center the Rams have a 34 yr old vet who has been on the IR for two straight yrs in 2012 & 2013. Wells has had health issues since he was signed in 2012. Wells missed the entire 2014 Training Camp & pre season due to health issue. There is also a high probability that Wells will be released as a cap casualty. Finally Center Wells on field performance is NOT solid. Thus far if I have counted right we have 3/5ths of this Ram OL as NOT solid.

Currently Rams have Robinson who has only started 5 games @ the important OLT post. So saying we are solid @ this post now may be a stretch but I will say we are moving towards being solid in this post in 2015. Our starting OLT in 2013 & 2014 is Jake Long he has had two back to back ACL tears before that he had upper body surgery in 2012. Long is considered a high probable cap casualty due for a cap hit of 10.5 million for a badly damaged worn down OT. Long is far from being solid.

The OLG post is under the control of Rodger Saffold who may be the most injured OL'er in the NFL. Saffold was the starting OLT in 2012 but Fisher replaced Saffold in 2013. Saffold was the starting ORT in 2013 but he was outplayed by wavier wire free agent in October of 2013 after another Saffold injury & never Saffold was never able to earned it back. Saffold was signed by the Raiders earlier this yr but failed the physical due to damaged shoulder. Saffold is playing hurt & injured once again & is due for major surgery on that same shoulder when this season ends. After saying all that Saffold is the closest starter the Rams will have to being Solid. So in conclusion I just do not see a solid OL in 2015 from what we know now. The last thing that should be added is the Rams have four reserve OL'ers currently, however 3 of the 4 will enter free agency early 2015 so even our OL depth is far from being solid.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
Your right you do not have to provide me with the excellent examples you claimed it was just my request. I was of the opinion that we were talking St Louis Rams not other NFL teams. Sorry to have asked.
I didn't claim anything as far as the Rams go. What I said was I agree with Fisher that excellent OLine talent can be had in later rounds.
I know that to be a factual statement. Whether the Rams have been successful at isn't the only measure.
I was of the impression that Mark Barron had already came around & arrived in the NFL? Barron has started since day one as a rookie @ safety. Barron has 38 NFL starts @ safety with 235 tackles since 2012 & his third season is not over yet. Barron has already started for the Rams & of the 7 safeties we have signed Barron has the most experience of all our safeties by a far margin. What are we waiting to see?
Barron was not a good fit Tampa. With the Rams that story could change...and it won't be the first time a player blossomed in a different defense.
You consider the Rams OL as being solid. Can you help me out on this comment because I sure do not see a 2015 solid Ram OL. Can I bother you to show me the solid five cadre 2015 Rams OL'ers that the Rams have that would make our 5 Ol'er SOLID? What am I missing? I want to feel good about our 2015 OL too.
No, I can't help you out because it's a matter of opinion. The things I see, you may not see or consider.
The way I see it now our starting ORT Barksdale is a UFA & not under contract so in a few months JB is free to sell his talents elsewhere. Who is the Rams reserve ORT waiting to take his post? I do not know of any signed for 2015. Thus the ORT post is far from being solid. The ORG post is the same as the ORT post Joseph is a UFA & not under contract for 2015, thus once again far from solid.
No it isn't because that's future...not NOW. There's plenty of time AFTER the season to deal with what you presented,,,as of now BOTH players are Rams.
At Center the Rams have a 34 yr old vet who has been on the IR for two straight yrs in 2012 & 2013. Wells has had health issues since he was signed in 2012. Wells missed the entire 2014 Training Camp & pre season due to health issue. There is also a high probability that Wells will be released as a cap casualty. Finally Center Wells on field performance is NOT solid. Thus far if I have counted right we have 3/5ths of this Ram OL as NOT solid.
Once again, that isn't now. What you're doing is WORRYING about the future. I've seen Fisher make some nice moves to get the OLIne better. I think he'll do it again.
Currently Rams have Robinson who has only started 5 games @ the important OLT post. So saying we are solid @ this post now may be a stretch but I will say we are moving towards being solid in this post in 2015. Our starting OLT in 2013 & 2014 is Jake Long he has had two back to back ACL tears before that he had upper body surgery in 2012. Long is considered a high probable cap casualty due for a cap hit of 10.5 million for a badly damaged worn down OT. Long is far from being solid.

From what I've seen of GRob, the guy is going to be very good. When it comes to Long, once again that's opinion and worry. WHat's the answer *IF* Long returns and makes the Pro Bowl???
The OLG post is under the control of Rodger Saffold who may be the most injured OL'er in the NFL. Saffold was the starting OLT in 2012 but Fisher replaced Saffold in 2013. Saffold was the starting ORT in 2013 but he was outplayed by wavier wire free agent in October of 2013 after another Saffold injury & never Saffold was never able to earned it back. Saffold was signed by the Raiders earlier this yr but failed the physical due to damaged shoulder. Saffold is playing hurt & injured once again & is due for major surgery on that same shoulder when this season ends. After saying all that Saffold is the closest starter the Rams will have to being Solid. So in conclusion I just do not see a solid OL in 2015 from what we know now. The last thing that should be added is the Rams have four reserve OL'ers currently, however 3 of the 4 will enter free agency early 2015 so even our OL depth is far from being solid.
I have every confidence in Coach Fisher, and his ability to do what need to be done. All you presented is what could be, and if everything you worry about happens, you'll have a point...but it hasn't. You worry...I'll watch and see.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No it isn't because that's future...not NOW. There's plenty of time AFTER the season to deal with what you presented,,,as of now BOTH players are Rams.

Once again, that isn't now. What you're doing is WORRYING about the future. I've seen Fisher make some nice moves to get the OLIne better. I think he'll do it again.

From what I've seen of GRob, the guy is going to be very good. When it comes to Long, once again that's opinion and worry. WHat's the answer *IF* Long returns and makes the Pro Bowl???

I have every confidence in Coach Fisher, and his ability to do what need to be done. All you presented is what could be, and if everything you worry about happens, you'll have a point...but it hasn't. You worry...I'll watch and see.

OK I was under the impression this tread started by PreshusRoy, was entitled "How about the O-line next yr?? was about the future not about the current present OL.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm always for BPA in drafts but I'm sure hoping we go
OL and LB with the 1st two picks in 2015. A smart FA signing of an OL would be nice too and maybe unavoidable if you cut Long and Wells and let Barksdale walk. I'm not sure you can do all three.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As much as we discuss the QB situation, we never talk about the OL. Here's how I see it...

LT G Rob
LG Saffold
C Barrett Jones
RG Draft pick or Jake Long?
RT Barksdale

Thoughts???
And you inserted Barrett Jones because????? Even Barnes played this Sunday....

TD2

UDFA
My picks for 2015 Rams OL

LT G Robinson
RT M Person
C B Jones
RG R Saffold
RT J Barksdale

Just like Barksdale got his chance after sitting for a couple of years, it is now Person and Jones who have developed and ready to step up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm always for BPA in drafts but I'm sure hoping we go
OL and LB with the 1st two picks in 2015. A smart FA signing of an OL would be nice too and maybe unavoidable if you cut Long and Wells and let Barksdale walk. I'm not sure you can do all three.

I agree with you here Husker & Yes the eternal ongoing BPA vs Need drafts discussions .....there are still issues on both sides when you go BPA like we did with DL Aaron Donald instead of a OL Zack Martin??? If we had gone OL Martin we would not be such a pickle in the OL. On the flip side none can disagree Donald was the much better player at this point with very little argument that this past draft was a very good one if not bordering on a great Ram/Snead draft. No matter, even with a excellent 2014 draft Rams are still a bottom dweller of our division just like last year. "Hey but we had a great draft " But now the Rams are left with the long ongoing sage concerning deficiencies with this OL now & into the future. Seems like just a few months ago the Rams looked like they would field a very good OL in 2014. It never happened or materialized.

Your right no way the Rams can avoid signing several FA's OL'ers in 2015 just too many questions. I been looking for a while for a smart FA signing prospect for this OL here in a few months its been rough going too. The best may be the former Fisher draft selection the Titans starting OLT Michael Roos who has been a starter for a decade & will be 33 yrs old in 2015. Roos is also coming off his first surgery unlike Long who has close to a dozen surgeries since his college yrs. Roos would be major insurance protection for the Rams @ ORT to fill the Barksdale post. Roos would could also be a legit swing OT for both OT posts something that the Rams do not have now or in the future. Signing a past very good ready to plug in OT is a better option than a OG. Then use your top pick on the BPA OT, with the plan to play him @ OLG post early much like Greg Robinson did.

Lots of elements go into that "Smart" stuff for the future is sure one thing an unknown. What might look to be smart in March may be dumb in September. With 5 current Ram OL'ers entering free agency, along with 2 highly probable cap casualties this reconstruction of the Rams OL is going to get really wild. I see most are thinking that this OL unit will remain pretty much the same like every season . IMO that is just very wishful thinking. Just look what happen after one Ram OL'er which happens to be our best OL'er Saffold re-injured his shoulder. The offense stalled in a major way.
And you inserted Barrett Jones because????? Even Barnes played this Sunday....
Not unusual for the Rams to only dress 2 OL'ers LACHAMP. Both reserve OL'ers Barnes & Person have played center this TC & pre season . Person has been in the NFL since 2011 can play all five OL posts in an emergency. Barnes who also enter the NFL in 2011 has played three interior posts during 4 pre seasons. So was there a need to dress the less experienced Jones to be the 4th Ram center behind Wells-Barnes & Person?

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So was there a need to dress the less experienced Jones to be the 4th Ram center behind Wells-Barnes & Person?
All-World Barrett Jones sitting behind Person & Barnes? Surely, you jest.....:cautious:o_O:sneaky: He also plays 4 positions...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
All-World Barrett Jones sitting behind Person & Barnes? Surely, you jest.....:cautious:o_O:sneaky: He also plays 4 positions...

In truth the 6-4 1/2 308 pound Barrett Jones has started all five OL posts in his yrs with Bama! He probably knows (brain power) how to play all the positions limited by only his body.:)

Once he gets the experience of playing & learning the NFL game he will go very well with Sam as his starting center where all those smarts can really be put to full use! I also think he could play the OLG post well next to Robinson & be an emergency back up to the ORT post if needed. Jones has longer arms & bigger hands than Saffold does.