How about the O-line next yr??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
G Rob has played not bad. He has learning to do but I been impressed,

GRob has a long long way to go in both Pass and run blocking. He has potential but he still makes a lot of mistakes. He would make a great guard but I sure hope he can stick at OLT.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Iupati is a guy i was looking at too, but he's been getting dinged up a lot lately. Could be Scott Wells 2.0.
He's starting to look like an old 27 right now to me.

Ramathon

I've seen at least a few posters in this thread saying something to the effect of 'No more FA OL, please!'. And while I understand the sentiment given the Rams' 'luck', or should I say lack thereof, in their FA signings on the OL, I also think it's a major mistake to not sign a FA OL if the price is right and the player seems a good fit for the Rams' scheme.

Personally, I think bringing in FA's for the OL was a smart move by Fisher. It's the quickest way to solve an area of need. Not many draft picks can come in and play at a high level from day 1. The fact that the FA's they have brought in thus far have been less than stellar signings is no reason to abandon the philosophy entirely.

There was a similar sentiment about drafting DL several yr back after the Rams had had a fairly long string of failed high 1st round DL picks in the 00's. There were many posts in various places with fans saying 'Please don't draft any more DL.' And if the front office had actually followed that philosophy, we'd have never drafted Quinn or Donald. It's just another example of the 'Past performance is no indicator of future success' sentiment.

Now, I'm not saying we unequivocally should use FA to shore up the OL. But if there's a fit and the price is right, it would be a mistake to ignore the opportunity. After all, it's not like using high draft picks isn't it's own flawed crapshoot.

RamWoodie

Legend
Gotta draft an OL in the 1st or 2nd round. I like Scherff or T.J. Clemming in the 1st or A.J. Cann in the 2nd. We need an OG. I don't know if we need a Center because they won't play Barrett Jones. I'll leave that up to the Rams. We also need a good backup OL behind Saffold.
I cant buy that. The Rams will need to work on LB and Safety in the first and second round! The OLine is solid. Snatch a Center in the 3rd round at the earliest.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Samson Satele has been the pillar of Miami offensive line heading into Jets game
Published November 27, 2014
Associated Press
Facebook1 Twitter2 Email Print
DAVIE, Fla. – Dolphins center Samson Satele has been the rock of Miami's offensive line this season. He is the only lineman to have started every game at the same position heading into Monday night's matchup with the New York Jets...

Bam - and today's his birthday too! ;)

images

Just saying, that's my point, it's one good season. He's not even playing that well, just been solid for the Phins and has started every game which is a story because the Phins line has had some turnover besides Satele. It's a one season wonder thing. That doesn't excuse the garbage he put out for 5 years before that. I wouldn't trust him enough to give him a big contract, but some team will.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I cant buy that. The Rams will need to work on LB and Safety in the first and second round! The OLine is solid. Snatch a Center in the 3rd round at the earliest.

Gotta disagree that our OL is "solid", Woodie.

We need to bolster the C and one OG position, at the very least.

Doesn't necessarily have to be rounds 1 or 2, although it might. This Scherff kid is getting a lot of attention, although many feel he'll be long gone before we pick.

Maybe one position could be a FA. I dunno...

I'll say this. A big nasty dominating OL is necessary to compete in our division and to execute the Fisher style O.

BTW, I don't believe that LB or S are our biggest needs anymore. The addition of Barron has changed the dynamics in both areas for the better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams are far better off at LB and safety than they are on the OL.

RamWoodie

Legend
The Rams are far better off at LB and safety than they are on the OL.
No. I'm not seeing that at all. The potential is there, but it hasn't come to fruition. However the point is what to take in the 1st and 2nd round. I'm in total agreement with Fisher that EXCELLENT OLine talent is available in the later rounds! Get your skill positions early!

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I really wish that the Rams had passed on re-signing Saffold. He was very good last year at guard, but he seems to be made out of glass. I have never seen a guy get hurt this often! His shoulder must be held together by paper mache and duct tape. If Barksdale walks, I think you need a guard, a tackle, and a center. It is really hard to believe that we have had this problem for a decade now, and it still hasn't been resolved.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. I'm not seeing that at all. The potential is there, but it hasn't come to fruition. However the point is what to take in the 1st and 2nd round. I'm in total agreement with Fisher that EXCELLENT OLine talent is available in the later rounds! Get your skill positions early!

I am feeling good about both. Especially if they gave Joyner a chance at FS.

There is talent available at nearly every position later in the draft. The challenge is finding it...your odds continue to worsen the further you go that you'll pick a successful player. Give me OL early.

TexasRam

Legend
Re-sign Barksdale. Priority 1.

Find a guard -Priority 2.

Replace Mcloud -Priority 3.

Linebackers are fine.

RamWoodie

Legend
Re-sign Barksdale. Priority 1.

Find a guard -Priority 2.

Replace Mcloud -Priority 3.

Linebackers are fine.
Keep in mind I'm not saying LB is a need...HOWEVER you always look to the future. JL will be entering year 7 and Dunbar will be entering year 8. You MUST begin to look for replacements as well as depth at LB.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I think we need to invest an early pick on an OL and I'd like to see Wisniewski brought in as a FA.

Good thing Greg Robinson was able to shake that 4-game bust label from some fans, huh?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think we need to invest an early pick on an OL and I'd like to see Wisniewski brought in as a FA.

Good thing Greg Robinson was able to shake that 4-game bust label from some fans, huh?
I am glad that my viewpoint always was that I was concerned about his ability to get on the field, but it mattered a lot more how he finished than how he started.

On a related note though, what happened to all those people saying Mason was a wasted pick?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I am glad that my viewpoint always was that I was concerned about his ability to get on the field, but it mattered a lot more how he finished than how he started.

On a related note though, what happened to all those people saying Mason was a wasted pick?

Every year I tell myself that eventually people will learn not to write off rookies after one, two, and sometimes even three years.

Someday...

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Iupati is a guy i was looking at too, but he's been getting dinged up a lot lately. Could be Scott Wells 2.0.
He's starting to look like an old 27 right now to me.
I agree with this, plus the fact that almost every 49er is bad value because no matter what the talent level, they are usually overrated. Very rarely do you hear anyone say "he was not very good on the 49ers but he's really great now!", but you constantly hear "wow he was a Pro Bowl player with the 49ers but he's terrible with his new team". See Dashon Goldson, buyer beware. In contrast there are guys on teams that don't get the same media love that play at a pro bowl level but don't get selected to that popularity contest, those are the ones to target and sign at or below market rate and get more value.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Hey ZigZag, Rams do have three centers signed for 2015 season now plus another who is a very easy signing RFA.

#1-A well seasoned ex all pro Veteran with mega starts under his belt named Scott Wells.
#2-Restricted Free Agent young veteran who has been a Ram since 2011 who has over 41 games played as a Ram with 5 finished Ram games as our starter. He has been under Boudreau teaching now for 3 seasons his named is Tim Barnes.
#3-A highly decorated Snead/Fisher 4th round 2013 draft pick who has been a Ram for 2 seasons. His name is Barrett Jones.
#4-A Snead/Fisher 7th round 2014 draft pick who was very impressive early until a knee injury shelved his season & was placed on the IR. His name is Demetrius Rhaney.

I am under the impression that we should utilize the already on hand valuable talent first before going out & purchasing another high over priced center. If the Rams are lucky to have all four healthy early next season center is the least of our worries in our OL.

My priority in the OL goes straight to the OG's. Looks to me that outside of an often injured OG Saffold the Rams need #1-another starting OG & #2-a decent third OG to fill in when Saffold gets hurt. In addition can you name the #3- Reserve Swing OT on the Rams roster even if we are fortunate to resign Barksdale?

Living is the real Snead/Fisher world the best I could hope with just five draft picks is 2 picks going to the OL. It would be nice that they draft OL'ers who can play both OT & OG. Then hope a decent UFA OG better than Davin Joseph arrives at some time.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Hey ZigZag, Rams do have three centers signed for 2015 season now plus another who is a very easy signing RFA.

#1-A well seasoned ex all pro Veteran with mega starts under his belt named Scott Wells.
#2-Restricted Free Agent young veteran who has been a Ram since 2011 who has over 41 games played as a Ram with 5 finished Ram games as our starter. He has been under Boudreau teaching now for 3 seasons his named is Tim Barnes.
#3-A highly decorated Snead/Fisher 4th round 2013 draft pick who has been a Ram for 2 seasons. His name is Barrett Jones.
#4-A Snead/Fisher 7th round 2014 draft pick who was very impressive early until a knee injury shelved his season & was placed on the IR. His name is Demetrius Rhaney.

I am under the impression that we should utilize the already on hand valuable talent first before going out & purchasing another high over priced center. If the Rams are lucky to have all four healthy early next season center is the least of our worries in our OL.

My priority in the OL goes straight to the OG's. Looks to me that outside of an often injured OG Saffold the Rams need #1-another starting OG & #2-a decent third OG to fill in when Saffold gets hurt. In addition can you name the #3- Reserve Swing OT on the Rams roster even if we are fortunate to resign Barksdale?

Living is the real Snead/Fisher world the best I could hope with just five draft picks is 2 picks going to the OL. It would be nice that they draft OL'ers who can play both OT & OG. Then hope a decent UFA OG better than Davin Joseph arrives at some time.

I see what you're saying, but I'm tired of investing in risk on the OL. Wells has looked very bad at times and hasn't stayed healthy. Barnes gets pushed around in the middle and shouldn't be starting. And nobody really knows what we have in Jones and the 7th round pick Rhaney.

If Wells, Langford, etc. come off the books, they should have more than enough money to sign a legitimate starting C and fill holes elsewhere.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Safety in the first round?.........

giphy.gif