How about the O-line next yr??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I like the idea of grabbing a stud RG for our big FA splash next year. Maybe a guy like Iupati or another high profile name. Then I'd like to draft a stud.

We need to cut Jake Long.

Ramathon

As much as we discuss the QB situation, we never talk about the OL. Here's how I see it...

LT G Rob
LG Saffold
C Barrett Jones
RG Draft pick or Jake Long?
RT Barksdale

Thoughts???

I'm beginning to wonder if Jones is ever going to amount to anything. It's not like Wells has been a standout this year, and if Jones can't get playing time now, when will he?

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
We/They've been talking about O-line and the need to fix it for what seems a decade now.
Sure hope there's no correlation between a constantly churned and crappy Offensive Line and the Rams win/loss record during this time. :huh:

Big Willie

Starter
I am on board with GRob, Saffold and possibly Barksdale on the line. I think we need upgrades at the Guard and Center spots. Not sure anyone on the team are significant upgrades over what we have now. My preference is an UFA at center and a 2nd or 3rd rounder at guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Below is what the Rams have signed & have some real decent rights for resigning for the OL in 2015:
OC
Scott Wells(2014 Starter)
Demetrius Rhaney 23/1
OC/OG
Tim Barnes 27/4
Barrett Jones 25/3
ORG
Travis Bond 24/1
OG/OT
Rodger Saffold (2014 Starter) 27/5
Brandon Washington 27/3
Greg Robinson(2014 Starter) 23/2
OT
Jake Long( 2014 Starter) 30/8

Present Ram OL'ers who do not have Ram contracts @ the end of the 2014 season:
ORT- Joe Barksdale
OT/OG/OC- Mike Person
ORG- Davin Joseph

Expecting the Rams front office to take a cap hit of 10.5 million for the very damaged Jake Long to return to play OLT when you have a very young fully healthy talented Greg Robinson present in 2015 is very very doubtful. With Barksdale questionable to return, If out of need, Jake Long could get considerations for considerations @ the open vacancy @ ORT but NOT @ a 10.5 million rate.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Below is what the Rams have signed & have some real decent rights for resigning for the OL in 2015:
OC
Demetrius Rhaney 23/1
OC/OG
Tim Barnes 27/4
Barrett Jones 25/3
ORG
Travis Bond 24/1
OG/OT
Brandon Washington 27/3
OT

ORT- Joe Barksdale
OT/OG/OC- Mike Person
ORG- Davin Joseph

Expecting the Rams front office to take a cap hit of 10.5 million for the very damaged Jake Long to return to play OLT when you have a very young fully healthy talented Greg Robinson present in 2015 is very very doubtful. With Barksdale questionable to return, If out of need, Jake Long could get considerations for considerations @ the open vacancy @ ORT but NOT @ a 10.5 million rate.

Nicely presented, BonifayRam. I like the format.

I'll go out on a limb and declare that J Long is a goner. No hedging from me here. Too much health risk and too many cap dollars that will be used elsewhere. Besides, even when "healthy", his play was far below his former Pro Bowl level. Kudos to Demoff for brilliantly structuring Long's contract making his release feasible.

GRob is the future at LOT, and I don't see J Long at any other position.

I don't see Barksdale as questionable to return, either. In fact, I think he's a virtual lock unless he makes unreasonable salary demands. Makes too much sense for both Barks and the Rams, I think.

I think Wells is clearly a goner. Unless they have a player(s) at C and OG that they REALLY like for '15 already on the roster, I foresee a FA and/or fairly high draft pick to try to upgrade those positions. I'm thinking maybe 2nd or 3rd rounders. It's that high a priority, IMO. That interior OL is holding us back, plus our new QB will need the protection and the ability to step up.

In short, J Long and Wells are goners. New faces at C and OG in '15.

Now...

What about our options at TE? Lol.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Thanks for not beating me up too much. I just started posting. .. work schedule and migration from rrf..

I'm late back to this thread but was going to ask if you were the Precious Roy I knew from RRF. Good to see you posting here again my old friend. :cheers:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
OC
Demetrius Rhaney 23/1
OC/OG
Tim Barnes 27/4
Barrett Jones 25/3
ORG
Travis Bond 24/1
OG/OT
Brandon Washington 27/3
OT

ORT- Joe Barksdale
OT/OG/OC- Mike Person
ORG- Davin Joseph

Bonifay, where's Turner in your list??? :cool:

So you're thinking of Long potentially restructuring his deal to be a possible fit at RT? Good logic there. What do you think Barksdale will command and get on the open market? He's definitely the wildcard in this picture being a FA. Myself I agree with the one of the posts here. No more FA's.. Draft high and often on OL. FA's have been a failure pretty much so far on the OL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay, where's Turner in your list??? :cool:

So you're thinking of Long potentially restructuring his deal to be a possible fit at RT? Good logic there. What do you think Barksdale will command and get on the open market? He's definitely the wildcard in this picture being a FA. Myself I agree with the one of the posts here. No more FA's.. Draft high and often on OL. FA's have been a failure pretty much so far on the OL.

On Turner, Only in your mind my friend!

Yep I think it will be hard to throw a class act/past all pro OLT out in the trash. IMO if there is some working components left & he knows his time as a starting OLT in the NFL has come to an end. Jake could restructure & continue to work in St Louis if he wants too. Jake when healthy can be a decent starter @ ORT or OLG @ least a top swing OT reserve.

Not so sure Barksdale is as valuable as most think, fact is JB is a liability when pass blocking 34 defenses. JB may get his best offer here because this Rams team do not have another ORT on the roster. Rams could have already been in contract talks already & looks to me JB will try the open free market. Bottom line at this point in time Dag he is not a Ram after this season concludes.

In reference to your last sentence, presently the Rams reserve OL'ers are all last third day draft picks (Rhaney & Jones) & WWC's (Barnes/Bond/Washington) so the Rams have no known talented drafted OL'ers in waiting so yes this team needs young talent OL'er in this next draft. With only five draft picks upcoming in 2015 after going into 2014 with 12 draft picks!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
OL has been a big subject here for the last two drafts. I sure would like to see Jones getting some more time this year so we know if he can be a starter next year.

I agree with everyone else on Long he has proved he's not going to be able to be healthy and it is time to move on.

This regime has been rebuilding everywhere else with the draft although now we are out of the extra high round picks I think this is the way to keep moving with this team. Iupati would be a nice pick up but he is going to want that big pay day and I just think there are still too many questions to blow everything they've got on him.

Not sure who to covet but this unit has got to be the first priority.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Need to put at least a couple draft picks into it. No more free agents, that's gone poorly.

We've had our disappointments no doubt, but if we could land Iupati G and/or Satele C, that would be sweet!

Draft:
1. QB
2. LB
3. OL

OL: Robinson / Iupati / Satele / Saffold / Barksdale

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We've had our disappointments no doubt, but if we could land Iupati G and/or Satele C, that would be sweet!

Draft:
1. QB
2. LB
3. OL

OL: Robinson / Iupati / Satele / Saffold / Barksdale

See, I have no interest in Satele. For multiple reasons.

1. He's 30 years old. I don't want any 30 year old guys on our team that may need to be replaced fairly quickly, we're building for the future not for the next few years. Unless he's the piece that makes us a contender, I don't like his age.

2. This is his only real good season in like 4+ years. He's playing well, no doubt. But that doesn't erase the years of garbage he put out there as a Colt and Raider. How do we know he's not just a one year wonder right now?

3. His price tag will be too high, too many teams are going to be looking to buy high on his one good year.

Iupati has pass protection problems and his price will be high too. I don't want to have all that money tied up into the offensive line.

In your scenario, Barksdale, Satele, and Iupati would all have to be making $$$$ to come here or stay here. Not happening. Too much money in the offensive line.

SierraRam

Recreational User
have no interest in Satele. For multiple reasons.

He's the guy I really want. A rookie at center could be disastrous with Sam or our #1 pick at QB, and Satele has figured the game out. We should be able to pay Barksdale and at least one other 'name' FA. I'd rather put a rookie at guard.

It sure would be nice if Barrett Jones finally emerged, but I think we're all done holding our breath for that guy.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He's the guy I really want. A rookie at center could be disastrous with Sam or our #1 pick at QB, and Satele has figured the game out. We should be able to pay Barksdale and at least one other 'name' FA. I'd rather put a rookie at guard.

It sure would be nice if Barrett Jones finally emerged, but I think we're all done holding our breath for that guy.

If you really want him, be my guest, it's just going to be a disaster too. I'd rather try to get Wis from Oakland or a rookie fairly high. Satele is not a good player in my opinion. I'm not interested in most FAs, there's usually a reason why they weren't locked up.

SierraRam

Recreational User
If you really want him, be my guest, it's just going to be a disaster too. I'd rather try to get Wis from Oakland or a rookie fairly high. Satele is not a good player in my opinion. I'm not interested in most FAs, there's usually a reason why they weren't locked up.

Samson Satele has been the pillar of Miami offensive line heading into Jets game
Published November 27, 2014
Associated Press
Facebook1 Twitter2 Email Print
DAVIE, Fla. – Dolphins center Samson Satele has been the rock of Miami's offensive line this season. He is the only lineman to have started every game at the same position heading into Monday night's matchup with the New York Jets...

Bam - and today's his birthday too! ;)

images

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There will be a couple of guards available in free agency.I would love to get Mike Lupati from SF at 27 he is in his prime and it would weaken a division rival.These are the type of moves that need to be made to fix that line once and for all.

Iupati is probably a better use of FA cap space than Barks. I look at it as either/or. I don't want to see the Rams try to rebuild this OL in FA but one piece particularly from a division rival as you said is fine. Cutting Long facilitates that too, so it would be a significant upgrade that would leave the Rams needing to address RT in the draft.

I'm good with that. With Robinson/Saffold/Iupati as 3/5 of the OL that would be some powerful run blocking ability. Add a road grading RT type in the first couple rounds and we're in business along with better projected health returns. Center is often addressed in later rounds in the draft so they can do that too, but I suspect won't be necessary with both Jones and Rhainey who Fish has mentioned he was impressed with competing in camp for the position.

OL has some good pieces, IMO. They just gotta be shrewd in filling in the rest with guys who are strong run blockers to add to what we already have and ensure our running game is a consistent threat.