Hooey.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Litchfield native, Hillsdale High School graduate Sean Hooey
preparing for training camp with St. Louis Rams

By Rich McGowan | MLive.com
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mlive.com/sports/jackson/index.ssf/2013/06/litchfield_native_hillsdale_hi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mlive.com/sports/jackson/ind ... le_hi.html</a>

[wrapimg=right]http://media.mlive.com/citpat/sports_impact/photo/12994256-small.jpg[/wrapimg]JACKSON—Just a few weeks into what he hopes will be a long career, Sean Hooey has already gone through the ups and downs that come with life in the National Football League.

The Litchfield native and graduate of Hillsdale High School was on a try-out at the Miami Dolphins' rookie minicamp in May when head coach Joe Philbin told Hooey he liked what he saw from the 6-foot-9, 295-pound rookie offensive tackle.

Hooey said he was "high as a kite," feeling as though he had earned his way into a contract with the team.

Hooey later found out the Dolphins signed only one try-out player, and it was not him.

A week later he tried out with the St. Louis Rams. After a few days without drawing any special attention or praise from the head coach, Hooey was preparing to return home when the Rams called and said they wanted to sign him.

"They didn't say anything afterwards, the coach didn't say anything," Hooey said. "I had my bags packed and ready to go when they called me. You just never know."

With a contract in hand, Hooey took part in the Rams' Organized Team Activities for two weeks earlier this month where he got a taste of the action against seasoned NFL veterans.

"It was pretty eye opening," Hooey said. "Everyone there is good and is there for a reason, because they're the best of the best. I feel like I'm a freshman in college, going through that experience all over again."

While the speed of the game was noticeably faster than when he played for the University of Cincinnati, Hooey said he was struck by how in sync the veterans are with one another. While the first few practices of a college team might be sloppy, Hooey said he saw none of that in St. Louis.

"No one trips up on each other," he said. "Everyone stays up because everyone is where they're supposed to be.

"We were only in helmets but it was still pretty tough," he added. "Guys weren't going 100 percent, but I still have bruises on my chest from guys getting their hands in there and whacking and hitting me."

Back in Michigan until July 21 when he reports to training camp, Hooey is spending time between his mother's house in Litchfield and his father's in Charlotte, pouring over the team's expansive playbook on an iPad and working out. Hooey said he lifts weights at least three times a week and runs at least four times a week. While one might wonder how much an offensive tackle needs to run, Hooey hopes his running will give him an edge in making the team.

"One of the trainers I'm pretty cool with down in St. Louis kind of gave me a heads up: A lot of guys will go back and lift plenty but won't really run," Hooey said. "He said, lift enough but run more than you think you have to. When you come back into training camp, if you're conditioned more, toward the end of practices and the end of training camp, you'll be able to run circles around these guys."

Even with all the running and lifting, Hooey knows making the Rams and beginning an NFL career is not going to be easy.

"You almost have to be perfect," Hooey said. "I cannot make any mistakes because I'm at the bottom of the totem pole. I'm a rookie, I'm a try-out guy. Other guys they have a little bit of money invested in and they might want to keep them. I have to keep working hard, learn that playbook and take advantage of any opportunity I get."

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Six foot nine 295 that's a lot of ...............................................man.
Bet you thought I was gonna say sumthin else dincha?