Home entertainment systems

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
TV

Speakers

Wireless

If you could build your living room today - what would you buy?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I would look very hard at SONOS.
Each speaker has its own amp/computer, and they network wirelessly.
The sound is very good, (not audiophile quality), but again very very good.
It all controls from an app on your i- or android phone.
Check out their website. I believe they now integrate with Alexa, if you're into that.
I'm not (yet).

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sonos is high on my list - I don’t want Alexa or anything like that. I’m fine pushing buttons.

Do I need a sub? My family doesn’t usually blast music or movies that loud. Seems like it may be overkill for us.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Personally, I WANT a sub, but haven't been able to justify it in my mind. Not for movies, but if you're really into bass, (mid range and treble is more important to me), and want to play music loud, go for it.
One thing I love about SONOS, is their return policy, which I have done, so order one after you have the base system set up, and see if it makes enough of a difference to you.
Definitely get two Play 1's or 3s for rear/surround. BTW, I have the Playbar, and they have since come out with the Playbase, which I read sounds as good, but is a bit more versatile. I think the pricing is close.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I was wondering about bar v base. I think I am apt to spring for the bar but I’m just guessing.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I just checked out SONOS' site, and read some reviews.

I didn't even know about the Beam, their newest, and it's only $399, ( $699 for the Playbar / Playbase).
Beam looks like the way to go.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I've always wanted to build by own theatre in the basement

just don't have the room to do it right

soundfx-home-theater-automation-audio-networking-ri_home-elements-and-style.jpg

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I've always wanted to build by own theatre in the basement

just don't have the room to do it right

soundfx-home-theater-automation-audio-networking-ri_home-elements-and-style.jpg

Me neither. My friend has a theater room - pretty tricked out. Set him back 20k by the time it was said and done. It’s fun to watch a movie in there but not 20k fun.

I’m looking for more everyday use. Tv, music, the occasional movie - but a living room.

What about TVs? Most I can do would be 65 inch

I know 4K is a thing. I don’t understand why I can find some Sony’s or Samsung’s for 800-1000 and others for 2500+. What’s the major difference?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I’m not sure curved works with my space. It’s been a while since I bought a tv - certainly a decent one. What matters?

…..

Legend
I’m not sure curved works with my space. It’s been a while since I bought a tv - certainly a decent one. What matters?
I'm not sure, the benefit of the curve. It doesn't reduce glare that much. I got mine off of Craigslist for 875.00 New in Box,but without warranty.

The only thing I know is you need HD capability and a couple HDMI inputs. These days, the Cable Box/Roku/Firestick devices you run will provide the awesome picture.

The best picture I get by far is from Amazon Prime videos. Thursday night football is great through Amazon Prime.

As far as the 4k untra vs UHD-TV vs any other stuff...I dunno bout that, I think we'really splitting hairs.

…..

Legend
As far as wireless goes...TV is wireless. Bose sub is wireless. The Soundbar is wired to TV. I could wirelessly link Bose Vitually Invisible speakers for another 300 bucks but I haven't committed to that yet because the SoundTouch 300 is pretty awesome by itself. And I have wood floors.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I have a 4K 65 inch, it's awesome for football. I also got some LED lights for back lighting which makes watching TV at night/movies so much better.

I want to get a soundbar, my TV (Sony) doesn't have great audio, but I assume thats due to being so thin (and likely by design to force consumers into buying the soundbar).. I may ask for one for the holidays.

Whenever I'm in an actual house and not renting anymore I'll mount my TV to the wall and get some good cable management going.

One thing to note with 4K TVs, there aren't many 4K disk players (or there weren't a few years back at least) so options were limited and a bit costly.

It's great for gaming too.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I just checked out SONOS' site, and read some reviews.

I didn't even know about the Beam, their newest, and it's only $399, ( $699 for the Playbar / Playbase).
Beam looks like the way to go.

I am a verrrryyyyyy happy Sonos owner.....have Play 1’s and Play 3’s and used their Connect devices to network my existing Surround Sound system and a Sony sound bar in master bedroom....music throughout the house.

And if my wife and granddaughter want Michael Jackson in the bathroom and I want INXS in the kitchen...it’s all good!

Sonos networking is verrryyyy easy...plug and play.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I've got a 75" Samsung 4K. I don't know how I ever lived without it. A couple of things about the big screens...

Make sure you have the room for the screen. You can overwhelm a space if the screen is too large for the room. Also... the bigger the screen... the more light it will put out.

4K is amazing to watch but there aren't that many options available for it. The regular HD is just fine for me. I refuse to watch anything non HD on my big screen. I hear that our human eyes cannot really tell the difference between 4K and 8K though.

I'd go with the biggest screen possible. During games... my sons and I literally stand a few feet in front of the screen. It's like we're on the field.

I have a hard wired surround sound system with speakers in front of the room and in the back. The sound effects are really great. I do have a sub... and that thing is bad ass. I like to play the sound way too loud according to my wife... but she's crazy lol. Cranking the volume really makes the experience more realistic if you're asking me. Plus... don't you want to crank some tunes at times??? Definitely get a sub.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a 55" Sony 4K and I really like it.

My GF bought a 65" LG OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode), which is - right now- state of the art.

Of course, the size differential makes a difference... but the detail between the Sony 4k and the LG OLED is kinda of hard to tell.

OLED boasts blacker blacks, which is supposed to make colors brighter (contrast). But, most times - even in 4k - it's hard to tell.

Oh, and the curved screen? Gimmick you pay extra for.

Each person has their own sensory levels.

As far as audio, I have the same system I built years ago and I still love it.

I'm old school, so it's all wired.
* Yamaha Receiver (can't remember model #, but it was one of the best when I bought it about 5 years ago... still does a great job... most all the external devices run through it and it's pretty seamless).
* Klipsch subwoofer (I like to feel the bass when I watch a movie or listen to miusic and this does a great job)
* Bose center speaker
* Medium JBL fronts (on stands)
* Small Polks as surround (back)

When I had laminate flooring installed, I had them run the wires under it, so it's basically "built in" but the speakers are free standing.

I've heard soundbars and they're OK for TV... but, if you want to really get immersed in the sound/music and feel it, you need a system still.

Good luck!