Home entertainment center help

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If you were building a living room today, how would you do it?

So far I’m thinking Sonos speakers (bar and sub in living room) with speakers around the house as we grow, obviously a tv - but how should I watch tv?

Historically I had always been direct tv but that was for Sunday ticket - which I can now get thru the PlayStation.

I will have high speed internet - but I’m looking for the best kind of ‘cut the cord’ options. Apple TV? YouTube TV? Help me out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Surround sound for sure.
If you're into Apple, then apple. I choose Samsung TVs for the apps you can add (including KODI)
We don't have kids with us anymore, so I'm getting theater seating.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My 2 cents...

Definitely don't skimp on the TV. I have a 75" Samsung and it still surprises me with it's picture.

Many don't realize how much of a difference great sound system makes. I wouldn't skimp there either.

RamzFanz

Damnit

I am building one today.

I would do it badass... and I am!

So far I’m thinking Sonos speakers (bar and sub in living room) with speakers around the house as we grow, obviously a tv - but how should I watch tv?

Sonos, why? For the wireless? Then yes. However, wired still delivers superior sound quality.

Historically I had always been direct tv but that was for Sunday ticket - which I can now get thru the PlayStation.

We have come to the realization that, as a family, we had no need for any TV service anymore.

The content we liked was in Netflix, Amazon Video, or sites like YouTube.

We never even missed TV which I can stream for free and still don't..

I will have high speed internet - but I’m looking for the best kind of ‘cut the cord’ options. Apple TV? YouTube TV? Help me out.

See above.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I prefer tvs to be on a tv stand rather than a wall. I don't like looking up at tvs. Any streaming service is good; Since you have Playstation, check out Playstation Vue for streaming.

I'd get good quality speakers built into the wall; all wireless linked together. I got a Samsung soundbar ans sub like you do and it's all wireless. Another option is an HDMI sound system.

Speaking of Samsung, if you get a new Samsung tv, with the same brand sound bar and have a current/future gen Samsung smartphone they can all recoginze each other wirelessly...automatic. Just an FYI.

Just some ideas for you.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I suppose if I'm going to hard wire the speakers, I may as well do it during construction. Any particular type of wiring I need to use? Any type of speaker suggestions? (This is far from my wheelhouse)

I'm planning on running cat 6 cables to plug the internet into the TV - and then using a PS4 or some other box (like apple tv) to handle netflix, hulu, prime, etc.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Cannot recommend SONOS more! For diehard audiophiles. wired speakers may be better, but the convenience and expandability of sonos can't be beat. Soundbar or the new Playbase, 2 Play 1's or 3's for surround, subwoofer, and your done. Optic cable from the Soundbar to the TV, and a network connection and your home free. No speaker wire, receiver connections etc, etc. I had the in wall subwoofer with 2 sub amps and and and - go with sonos, I'm telling you.

As far as the TV, I'm pretty much Samsung for life - have a 55" now, and will be going bigger this year. I'm interested in the 'how to watch' feedback as well. Got DirecTV, and am OK with it, but that's maybe cuz I'm 69, and leery of cord cutting.

Again - go with SONOS - you will not regret it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I endorse Sonos as well.

While I don’t have a system I have heavily researched. Sonos has a great user app that is easy to setup.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
It literally, and I do mean literally, takes less time to set up than it does to unpack the boxes.
(Aside - the way they pack their product is unsurpassed in the (or any) industry, including Apple.)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We don't have kids with us anymore, so I'm getting theater seating.

In Hickerbillyville, NC that means 2 Barcaloungers with a milk crate between them to put drinks on.

Right?

Hehehehe

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You can get the NFL Sunday Ticket without having a Direct TV package. I have a friend who has Dish Network and NFL package without PlayStation. Two dishes look twice as bad as one though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In Hickerbillyville, NC that means 2 Barcaloungers with a milk crate between them to put drinks on.

Right?

Hehehehe
Probably. But this is ASHEVILLE, SON!

In all honesty though, Asheville is getting stupid crowded right now what with all the websites and news outlets out there saying it's one of the top places to visit. There are a shit ton of transplants from Florida up here now. So much so that I feel like I'm BACK in Florida sometimes. I left that State to get away from those people, and here they damn are. Again. When I first got up here a few years ago, there was a noticeable difference in the mannerisms of the people here. But I keep running into Floridians who bring that stressed-out impatient attitude with them, and it's a drag.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Probably. But this is ASHEVILLE, SON!

In all honesty though, Asheville is getting stupid crowded right now what with all the websites and news outlets out there saying it's one of the top places to visit. There are a crap ton of transplants from Florida up here now. So much so that I feel like I'm BACK in Florida sometimes. I left that State to get away from those people, and here they damn are. Again. When I first got up here a few years ago, there was a noticeable difference in the mannerisms of the people here. But I keep running into Floridians who bring that stressed-out impatient attitude with them, and it's a drag.

On the east coast of FL yeah they are different, and I wouldn't want to live there. The west coast is nicer, laid back, almost all mid-westerners, slower paced, polite. It's a totally separate animal.

Asheville is a great place and I can see it blowing up in the next decade because of everything it has to offer. I remember that pic of the land you bought.......that will pay of nicely if you decide to hightail it outta there to a different location.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On the east coast of FL yeah they are different, and I wouldn't want to live there. The west coast is nicer, laid back, almost all mid-westerners, slower paced, polite. It's a totally separate animal.
Yeah, that's true. It was always a bit more chill on Captiva and Sanibel & stuff.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, that's true. It was always a bit more chill on Captiva and Sanibel & stuff.

Where I am, Bonita Springs, there is a little bit of a "sleepy little town" feel until the snowbirds arrive........which they did in droves last week and this week to escape the blizzard bomb thingie.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I'm looking at upgrading my TV super bowl week.
I have Sony for the past few years and love it.
I want to go bigger, 50 , 55 . You guy's have Samsung, what inch ?

RamzFanz

Damnit
My background is Audio/Video, Automation, and general low voltage systems.

However, I've been out of the game for awhile.

This is a very hard question. It really depends on so many things. Budget, desires, priorities, reliability.

I'm renovating a house right now for myself. A man clubhouse as it were. I'm starting with my No Gurls Aloud
sign.

I'm hard wiring the surround sound for a number of reasons: Price, quality, and I can do it myself. I love the sound quality and value of Polk speakers as well as Klipsch. I'd put either up against Bose, or any other overpriced system, with the right setup, at half the price or less.

Wireless gives you freedom from hardwired but can create wireless headaches. Hardwired just works. Wireless needs bandwidth and can be interfered with. Hardwired makes changes difficult and installation can be expensive.

As far as sources, it depends. If you want the free stuff, a firestick with Koni and a VPN? So many choices. If you want pay stuff, there are so many choices based on what you want to see or be able to do.

This world is wide and deep. The first things you decide are budget and priorities, like movies for a theater buff vs music for an audiophile. Set a budget. Decide that first, so you have a frame of reference.

As a rule of thumb, for now at least as I understand it, hardwired quality and value is better and more economical, if you're handy, but it does take some skills and work. Wireless is more easily installed, expandable, and could be a better value if you change things around a lot.

You can also do both like in a theater where you hardwire the front 3 speakers and sub, the easiest to do, and go wireless on the surround.

Soundbars are great. I remember their birth. But they are no match to a real surround system if you enjoy full immersion. Great, in their own way, but no comparison to surround. But great, in their own way, may be exactly what you're looking for.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I have a soundbar thingy in the living room

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Another vote for Sonos.

Sound is more than satisfying for me and the set up is beyond easy.

App has changed a bit but handles all of your music files, streaming music apps like Sirius integrate to the Sonos app so you can play all of the music channels as well as play by play sports out of market.

Individual speakers can be managed so my wife can listen to Bruno Mars in her bathroom while I play the Stones in the kitchen.

If you have an existing surround system like I did, you get a Sonos Connect device added to your system and that becomes like one of the Sonos speakers with all the options of the app.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What once cost in the $265.00 dollar range per month with Direct TV has been reduced to around $50. per month with the DirectNow streaming service with free HBO, and an Apple Box (about $100.00), Netflix and Amazon Prime, yup ... all that at less than 1/5 the former price. I got in early when they were offering great rates so not sure what current pricing is, even got the newest Apple box for free with a 3 month contract.