Hollywood Flashback:When Warren Beatty Suited Up for the LA Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Hollywood Flashback: When Warren Beatty Suited Up for the Los Angeles Rams

by Bill Higgins
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-flashback-warren-beatty-suited-857373

htra148_vv028_h.jpg

"I'm more than ready to rejoin the Rams, but I'll need a week or so to get back in shape," Beatty quips to THR, nearly three decades after his Oscar-nominated football movie 'Heaven Can Wait' hit theaters.

Warren Beatty once played for the Rams. Or at least he did in Heaven Can Wait.

But that was back in 1978, before the football team left Los Angeles for Anaheim, moved on to St. Louis and then announced Jan. 12 its return to a new $2 billion-plus stadium in Inglewood, Calif. The romantic comedy’s plot centers on a Rams quarterback (Beatty) who dies in a Malibu bicycle accident. After his guardian angel (Buck Henry) removes his soul prematurely, the QB learns he was supposed to live much longer. But his body already has been cremated, so he returns to Earth, where he assumes the body of a wealthy industrialist who buys the Rams, becomes the new signal caller and leads his team to the Super Bowl against the Steelers.

The film is loosely based on the Harry Segall play that was turned into the 1941 feature Here Comes Mr. Jordan. THR said Beatty’s 1978 movie “manages to be faithful to the spirit of the original and also … thoroughly contemporary in tone.” It was released as Paramount was having megahits with Grease and Saturday Night Fever.

Heaven joined that club: The $15 million film had a domes tic gross of $82 million (roughly $300 million today) and received nine Oscar nominations (including four for Beatty, then 40, as producer, director, writer and actor). Its success gave Beatty, who co-directed with Henry and co-wrote with Elaine May, the leverage to get Paramount to greenlight Reds — for which he again received noms in the same four categories and won the best director Oscar in 1982.

The Rams had their own uplift after Heaven: Two years later, the team actually played the Steelers in Super Bowl XIV. (Unfortunately, in the real-world version, they lost.) When asked about the team’s move back to L.A., Beatty (now working on a film about a boy, a girl and Howard Hughes) tells THR, “I’m more than ready to rejoin the Rams, but I’ll need a week or so to get back in shape.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"I'm more than ready to rejoin the Rams, but I'll need a week or so to get back in shape," Beatty quips to THR, nearly three decades after his Oscar-nominated football movie 'Heaven Can Wait' hit theaters.
Look for this { Really Good Movie } To get a lot of TV Play leading up to the Rams Pre-Season and Season opener!! " I PREDICT!!"

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the young RAMS fans out there who haven't seen it here's the trailer...

If you are an old RAMS fan like myself and you haven't seen it...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For the young RAMS fans out there who haven't seen it here's the trailer...

If you are an old RAMS fan like myself and you haven't seen it...

And it has some good Rams football in it too!!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I just went and dug out that movie , haven't watched it in years ,

Funny , every time I think of the best coaches in Rams history , Jack Warden always comes to mind.................lol

Heaven_Can_Wait-1978-MSS-8084.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut... SACK

Lol. Loved that movie

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Still has the best horns on the helmets