Hold back the tears, Chicago to franchise Jeffrey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bears will place the franchise tag on free agent Alshon Jeffery.

Adam SchefterVerified account‏@AdamSchefter 19h19 hours ago

Hardly a surprise, but Bears are placing franchise tag on WR Alshon Jeffery, per team source.

11:19 AM - 26 Feb 2016
838 retweets 671 likes

Last edited by a moderator:

tempests

Hall of Fame
No tears here. This was the most likely scenario by far, and big FA bucks on a WR is generally a poor investment.

jap

Legend
Remember the good ole days when the Horns had the foresight to grab receiving talent like Jack Snow, Henry Ellard, Flipper Anderson, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, even the Wizard of Az? Where the hell did they go!?!

This issue is virtually in lockstep with our inability to secure a decent QB who can stay on the damn field. To play throw & catch you need a guy to fling the rock and another to snare it. Is these really such difficult scouting requirements to fulfill?

Come on, Horns!!! TGII needs help out there!

When Marshall Faulk and Eric "the Great" Dickerson shared the video spotlight recently. Marshall pointed out that Eric was the greatest Horns RB of all time because he did it almost entirely without a great passer. I don't want Todd to go through Eric's constant facing of 8-9 man defensive fronts. I would much rather see him emulate the best of both past Horns superstar RBs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Remember the good ole days when the Horns had the foresight to grab receiving talent like Jack Snow, Henry Ellard, Flipper Anderson, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, even the Wizard of Az? Where the hell did they go!?!

Those good ole days disappeared when the Rams decided to channel their inner Al Davis and take speed over polish. Kennison over Harrison. Avery over Jackson. Quick over Jeffery. And so on and so forth.

Route running, hands, and size. That's what the Rams need to prioritize in this draft where there is great depth of possession-like WRs. Treadwell, Doctson, Boyd, etc. Get it right Rams!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That foresight fled the building as soon as Fisher entered the door. Wrs come to Fisher's teams to die.

jap

Legend
That foresight fled the building as soon as Fisher entered the door. Wrs come to Fisher's teams to die.

One of the things I missed when Henry Ellard departed was in-house coaching appreciation for great route running, excellent catching technique, and all-around play (i.e., blocking, selling routes, etc.). As one of the NFL's all time great route runners himself, Henry had a hand in refining the skills of the great Isaac Bruce, who surpassed his teacher in route running prowess, and Torry Holt., who possessed the best pure hands of the three. Henry's opinions were always going to be respected, especially in the draft day war rooms.

Now things are so insane. What the hell does it really matter to acquire a decent signal caller if there is no one with the ability to get open, much less catch the damn rock? A viable QB-WR battery is needed to combine with TGII and Tavon to truly terrorize opposing NFL DCs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm good with this. I'd rather draft a couple guys and try to lure Boldin from SF to show our guys what a real WR looks like, and bring some of that attitude.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ike is a great example of how important route running is. He wasn't particularly fast, wasn't big, wasn't a prima donna, but as WR coach Steve Moore said after working him out: "He's just silky smooth. He's as quick as a cat, has a nice run after the catch and gets in and out of cuts."

I remember reading him mentioning he started every route at the snap like it was a 9 route. All the Rams need to do is find some guys like him. Quit with the effin measurables and ceiling/project guys man. Draft some route runners for the love of F.