Hockey 2017-2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pens just aren't the same team without those key depth guys: Bonino, Kunitz, and Cullen. Wish there was a way they could have kept Bonino, in particular -- he's awesome on the PK, plus his willingness to block shots is borderline masochistic. Cullen seemed dead-set on finishing his career in his home state of Minnesota, but he brought experience and savvy to the 4th line. Kunitz' physical presence is still a void the team hasn't really filled. He wasn't so much a goon or an enforcer -- rather, he was an offensive thumper, occupying defenders and creating space for the offense to operate.

Losing Trevor Daley also hurts some, but the acquisition of Jamie Oleksiak from Dallas is one of the better moves the team has made since July 1. He's been a much better addition than Matt Hunwick (get well soon, Chad Ruwhedel).

And then there are the long-term injuries to other solid guys like Bryan Rust, Ian Cole, and Justin Schultz.

Bear with me for a moment while I get on my soapbox to talk about Kris Letang. His best years are behind him, even though he's still relatively in his prime (in hockey years). He must have made the All-Star team because of fan votes, because he sure as hell didn't earn that spot from his on-ice play this year. Pens proved this past spring they didn't need him to win the cup, and we're fast approaching that time of year where he'll get injured and miss 4-6 weeks (yet again). Then there's his contract, which accounts for 10% of the team's cap. Personally, I would have dealt Letang and freed up the cap space to keep Bonino instead.

As much as I'd love to see them 3-peat, I just don't think they have the horses to go deep in the playoffs this year.

I agree with everything you said here. Fortunately they seem to be learning to play without the departed players. January was a fantastic month for the Pens. It has vaulted them toward the top and it looks like they may keep the momentum going in February, as they just defeated the Caps 7-4. Malkin has been on a hot streak, Kessel has been good all year, Murray is healthy, and Crosby is Crosby.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with everything you said here. Fortunately they seem to be learning to play without the departed players. January was a fantastic month for the Pens. It has vaulted them toward the top and it looks like they may keep the momentum going in February, as they just defeated the Caps 7-4. Malkin has been on a hot streak, Kessel has been good all year, Murray is healthy, and Crosby is Crosby.

How has Reaves been for you guys? Not asking to be mean; I really am invested in seeing him succeed.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

Admittedly, I'm a bit more confident in these guys since that last post. During the pregame, it was pointed out that the biggest area of improvement in the month of January was the Pens' goal output in 5-on-5 situations:
From October through December (around 40 games), the Pens scored 53 goals during 5-on-5
In January, they scored 29 5-on-5 goals - if they can keep up with that pace (or even close to it), I'll feel a lot better about their chances in the postseason.

Was never really worried about Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel - I was more concerned about the next-tier guys. SO GLAD to see Bryan Rust back in the lineup (3 goals in the last 2 games...almost had the hat trick against the Sharks).

Man, I thought for sure that Crosby would've scored his 400th in front of the home crowd last night. I guess Sullivan will have to healthy-scratch him in Jersey tonight.

How has Reaves been for you guys? Not asking to be mean; I really am invested in seeing him succeed.

I'm glad he's in a Penguins uniform. They needed a true enforcer, and they didn't really have one on the roster, prior to his arrival. He's been called upon to occasionally lay down the law and he has delivered. Plus, he even scored a goal against the Flyers!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would think that these long playoff runs have to take a toll on the team. I hope the slow start was more about being worn out than not making the roster changes work out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love the trade. Rutherford didn't give too much up and got a very good player in Brassard. Somehow he got Vegas to foot a big chunk of his salary too. I don't understand that deal, from their perspective.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I would think that these long playoff runs have to take a toll on the team. I hope the slow start was more about being worn out than not making the roster changes work out.

Slow start but finishing strong

Going to be interesting to see how Brassard fits.

Malkin has been on fire lately and if Letang stays healthy, how about another run?

Hockey every night makes the wife a little crazy but I love it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, I think that the Blues won that trade. :p

They wanted to have an enforcer to protect Sid in the playoffs. He really takes a pounding then. I think it is the only way some teams can neutralise him. The Pens were struggling too much early this season to give him any ice time. When he did play he wasn't good enough. It's tough to keep those goons on the team anymore. It used to be that everyone had one. It's a luxury when they can contribute. The last fighter that I remember the Lens having that had any promise was Chris Tamer. He wasn't big but he had fast hands and played hard. He was a plus 20 in 95-96, but then he got his jaw broken and was never the same physical presence skating or fighting. It was the norm for teams to have a Tom Kyte or Jay Caufield type around but now if they can't produce forget it. The Rangers pounded the Pens in the playoffs the last few years. They have a big bruising roster but speed and skill won out. That's the way it goes nowadays.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Slow start but finishing strong

Going to be interesting to see how Brassard fits.

Malkin has been on fire lately and if Letang stays healthy, how about another run?

Hockey every night makes the wife a little crazy but I love it.

I used to try to watch every game but it is tough with one TV and three kids ages 6, 11, 15. I usually turn it on after 9:00-9:30 when they are all in bed.

Broussard played great against the Pens for the New York Rangers during the playoffs two years ago. He had his best years with them. I doubt he can have 60 total points, like he had a few years ago, as a third line Center with Pittsburgh. They got him to replace Bonino's production. I hated to see Bonino leave. Hopefully Brassard can do as well.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Speaking about hockey...the Blues need a massive shakeup. Fire the coach and GM. Trade away Berglund, Sobotka, Steen, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, and especially Allen for picks. Bring up the kids. Sign Tavares. Let the older depth players (Brodziak and Upshall) go in free agency.

Fabbri-Tavares-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Kostin-Thomas-Thompson
Jaskin-Barbashev-Soshnikov

(Sanford, Blais)

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Walman-Schmaltz

(Bortuzzo)

Husso
Hutton

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I love the trade. Rutherford didn't give too much up and got a very good player in Brassard. Somehow he got Vegas to foot a big chunk of his salary too. I don't understand that deal, from their perspective.
The one part I hated about the Brassard trade was the Pens also dealing away Ian Cole. Yeah, I know Cole was set to become a UFA after this season, but Hunwick is a big step down....plus, the annual spring long-term injury to Letang hasn't happened yet.

I'd rather see Ruhwedel in there on the blue line than Hunwick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The one part I hated about the Brassard trade was the Pens also dealing away Ian Cole. Yeah, I know Cole was set to become a UFA after this season, but Hunwick is a big step down....plus, the annual spring long-term injury to Letang hasn't happened yet.

I'd rather see Ruhwedel in there on the blue line than Hunwick.

Supposedly Cole doesn't care for Sullivan's coaching style or strategy or something and he doesn't hide it. He has been rumored to be trade bait all year because of it. If he was a problem for unity it may be better overall if he is gone. Brunswick is a mystery. He looked like a real riser just a year ago. Rutherford thought he found Cole's replacement and then some with that acquisition. It's not looking that way though. Either Hunwick is very slow to transition into new surroundings, he doesn't fit the Pens style of play or he really isn't that good and the promise he showed was actually his peak.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Speaking about hockey...the Blues need a massive shakeup. Fire the coach and GM. Trade away Berglund, Sobotka, Steen, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, and especially Allen for picks. Bring up the kids. Sign Tavares. Let the older depth players (Brodziak and Upshall) go in free agency.

Fabbri-Tavares-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Kostin-Thomas-Thompson
Jaskin-Barbashev-Soshnikov

(Sanford, Blais)

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Walman-Schmaltz

(Bortuzzo)

Husso
Hutton

No team is going to give the Blues anything for most of those guys. Berglund and Sobotka are both garbage and both making a near $4 million per year. J-Bo and Steener both have NTC's in their contract's so they could veto any trade they're involved in. Plus, what team is going to give us anything of value for an aging Steener who's making nearly $6 million a year for the next 3 years.

Not sure what to make of Allen right now, when he's on, he's an elite goaltender. But when he's off, man is he terrible. I'd like to at least give him one more season. I love the potential of Husso, but that seems to be the norm with Blues hockey, they always have a future Goaltender....from Brent Johnson to Marek Schwartz to Jake Allen...

Memento

Name
Jemma
No team is going to give the Blues anything for most of those guys. Berglund and Sobotka are both garbage and both making a near $4 million per year. J-Bo and Steener both have NTC's in their contract's so they could veto any trade they're involved in. Plus, what team is going to give us anything of value for an aging Steener who's making nearly $6 million a year for the next 3 years.

Not sure what to make of Allen right now, when he's on, he's an elite goaltender. But when he's off, man is he terrible. I'd like to at least give him one more season. I love the potential of Husso, but that seems to be the norm with Blues hockey, they always have a future Goaltender....from Brent Johnson to Marek Schwartz to Jake Allen...

For, say, a third? They'll all absolutely fetch at least that on the market. And I'm sick of Allen's inconsistencies. Let another team deal with that headache.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Supposedly Cole doesn't care for Sullivan's coaching style or strategy or something and he doesn't hide it. He has been rumored to be trade bait all year because of it. If he was a problem for unity it may be better overall if he is gone.

I'm wishing they hadn't traded Cole away...or Reaves, for that matter.

First off, Brassard looks lost out there - watching him try to clear the zone is borderline painful. He might have been good with the Sens and Rangers, but that doesn't automatically make him a good fit with the Pens. But GM Jim Rutherford HAD to have a bigger name to plug in at 3rd line Center. I think the team would be better off bumping Brassard to the 4th line and putting Sheahan back on the 3rd line. This could be David Perron, all over again.

And since Cole's departure, the PK has been downright horrendous. This team couldn't have picked a worse time to start springing leaks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm wishing they hadn't traded Cole away...or Reaves, for that matter.

First off, Brassard looks lost out there - watching him try to clear the zone is borderline painful. He might have been good with the Sens and Rangers, but that doesn't automatically make him a good fit with the Pens. But GM Jim Rutherford HAD to have a bigger name to plug in at 3rd line Center. I think the team would be better off bumping Brassard to the 4th line and putting Sheahan back on the 3rd line. This could be David Perron, all over again.

And since Cole's departure, the PK has been downright horrendous. This team couldn't have picked a worse time to start springing leaks.

I agree with everything you said. On paper it looked like a good trade. It’s not working. Brassard doesn’t fit the team’s style.

I think Cole was gone no matter what. He’s good but disagreeing with the coach never goes over for long.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I think Cole was gone no matter what. He’s good but disagreeing with the coach never goes over for long.

Oh definitely, Cole was gone at the end of this season when his contract was set to expire. For me it was a choice between having it be a July problem vs. a March-through-possibly-June problem, and I would've preferred it to be a July problem.

I can't help noticing that whenever I rant in this thread, the Pens win their next game. (I think I may be onto something, here.)

And another thing that chaps my ass about Brassard and/or Letang....