Hmmm . . .then why did Pack deny Rams to interview McAdoo?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Reports: Packers considering changes to offensive staff, play calling responsibilities
Posted by Josh Alper on February 8, 2015, 4:51 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptjkndgymmjkytrknje3zdywndbkzdhkmta0ogrhyji3.jpeg
Getty Images
After the Packers lost to the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game, head coach Mike McCarthy said he was unaware that linebackerClay Matthews was dealing with an injury in the second half of the game because he was focused on calling the plays for the offense.

McCarthy may not have that issue to deal with again in 2015. Chris Havel of WDUZ in Green Bay is reporting that the Packers will promote offensive coordinator Tom Clements to associate head coach and give him the play calling responsibilities while also moving Edgar Bennett from wide receivers coach to offensive coordinator.

No other Packers reporters have confirmed that report, but Tyler Dunne and Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com and Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin all report some variation on the theme of the Packers considering changes to the responsibilities of the offensive staff.

Silverstein reports the goal is greater “team oversight,” something that became a concern when the team “lost its way” in that title game loss to the Seahawks. In the past, McCarthy has said he’s willing to make a change with play calling “if I felt we would be better served to have someone else call the plays.”

The Packers haven’t reached that point in the past, but it sounds like 2015 could bring a new approach on the sideline in Green Bay.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don't remember his name being mentioned.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Them not allowing the Rams to interview Van Pelt is ridiculous. I know, it's legal and all. But it was a legit opportunity for him to be considered for a significant job upgrade to coordinator where he gets to call plays, so for them to block it was douche-like in my estimation.

Here's hoping Cigs kills it and puts this offense on the map. A playoff win next year to eliminate the Packers would make it even better. Suck it, McCarthy.

Athos

Legend
After the Packers lost to the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game, head coach Mike McCarthy said he was unaware that linebackerClay Matthews was dealing with an injury in the second half of the game because he was focused on calling the plays for the offense.

LMAO. The problem was McCarthy calling plays in the first place and was in the process of swallowing a whole bunch of bullshit that was causing him to choke.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Strange indeed. When I first heard McCarthy was giving up playcalling I thought for sure that it would explain why Van Pelt wasnt allowed to interview.
On a side note, McCarthy had a pretty blah resume as an OC, only 1 season in top 10 in scoring (and that was coming in 10th) and in his last season in New Orleans they finished #24.
Then he goes to San Fran and finishes LAST in the league in scoring. The team went from an abysmal 16 ppg the year before he got there, and only scored 14 ppg in his one season. Then he gets the GB gig... Wow.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Them not allowing the Rams to interview Van Pelt is ridiculous. I know, it's legal and all. But it was a legit opportunity for him to be considered for a significant job upgrade to coordinator where he gets to call plays, so for them to block it was douche-like in my estimation.

Here's hoping Cigs kills it and puts this offense on the map. A playoff win next year to eliminate the Packers would make it even better. Suck it, McCarthy.
I always have to wonder though if the assistant has something to do with it. GB may have had something worked out with Van Pelt - I don't know. But Van Pelt could have had McCarthy do it as a way to not have to personally turn down Fisher thus keeping bridges within the coaching circles from being burned. Just a thought.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always have to wonder though if the assistant has something to do with it. GB may have had something worked out with Van Pelt - I don't know. But Van Pelt could have had McCarthy do it as a way to not have to personally turn down Fisher thus keeping bridges within the coaching circles from being burned. Just a thought.
Well, the fact no one else accepted the Rams invitation to interview (except Hackett), I can see this as a possibility.