History shows Fisher may be beyond the point of no return for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
Going back to the Rams' championship in '99, 12 head coaches have raised their first Super Bowl trophy. The list below shows how many years the coach had been with his team when he won his first championship and how many years he had been a head coach in the NFL when his team won.

Gary Kubiak - 1st season with Denver / 8th season as HC
Pete Carroll - 4 / 8
John Harbaugh - 5 / 5
Mike McCarthy - 6 / 6
Asshole Face - 4 / 4
Mike Tomlin - 2 / 2
Tom Coughlin - 4 / 12
Tony Dungy - 5 / 11
Bill Cowher - 14 / 14
Bill Belichick - 2 / 6
Brian Billick - 2 / 2
Dick Vermiel - 3 / 10

** Jeff Fisher - X / 21

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe. But he's our coach until Stan decides otherwise.

22 or 23 might be the magic number. Maybe not. We'll see what happens.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Digging a little deeper...even though 7 of the 12 coaches won their first SB sooner than Fisher's current tenure with the Rams, the average number of years a coach won his first championship while coaching his current team is 4.25 seasons. Six games in, Fisher is currently at 4.38. So there's that :thinking:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Digging a little deeper...even though 7 of the 12 coaches won their first SB sooner than Fisher's current tenure with the Rams, the average number of years a coach won his first championship while coaching his current team is 4.25 seasons. Six games in, Fisher is currently at 4.38. So there's that :thinking:
What's the moral, Ram Man?

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey man , I really don't have anything to add to your thread , because we all know Fishers underwhelming record . I just want to tell you that I had they same #18 uniform that's in your avitar. I thought I was looking at one of my childhood pictures taken a long time ago . We'll done

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Another 7-9 season and I'm ready to move on from Fisher even though I hate it when Rams change HC. A new HC coming in brings in all his guys and there's a complete shuffle of all the coaches and it takes two or three years for players to get used to new faces and terminology. Changing HC just pushes the chances for a playoff berth back a few years. But five or six years of .500 football is unacceptable. I'll take a new transition.

There are some good HC prospects out there, some proven and some waiting for their first chance. I'd prefer someone proven. Mike Shanahan would be my first choice. Kyle Shanahan would be my "unproven" first choice, but there's others out there. For some reason Fisher can't get this team over the hump and can't get control of the penalties. The OL should be better (I'm starting to question Boudreau's effectiveness). I'm still hoping Rams can pull off a winning streak and make the playoffs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Urban Meyer

the dude at the University of Houston...

Jim Harbaugh

The dude at Texas A&M

The dude at University of Washington

I'd say Nick Saban but....

Stan has the cash to get whomever he chooses

Atlanta Falcons OC

Who'd I miss?

It's time fellas....Or we'll be stuck in this is it this unit, or that player...forever...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I don't think that after 21+ years there is too much doubt about Fisher's limited coaching talent. Time to start looking for the next coach now! We don't Goff to end up like Bradford where he has to learn a new system every year in camp.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh hey... THIS looks like a really fun thread to watch. No agenda here whatsoever. Does anything say fun quite like this kind of thread? Brilliant!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope this doesn't come off as Fisher basking too much... just my $.02:

I wasn't a fan of the Fisher hire when they did it... I remember the scrimmage (I think it was a scrimmage) the year after the Rams beat his TN team in the SB.

"Chippy" is the term I think is used. My memory isn't what it used to be but I recall his players really going after the Rams... in a scrimmage!

That told me everyting I needed to know about the man... then he brings in Williams because they're friends... made sense to me. So all the penalties and lack of discipline never surprised me.

When you're a good team, you can get away with those things more... people have pointed out Seattle as an undisciplined team that won... yup, because they were very talented.

Martz never seemed to worry too much about turnovers... because he had the horses and system to overcome them.

Jeff Fisher has not and probably does not.

All that said, X is right... he's here for now and there's nothing we can really do. The real question to me becomes... how long might he stay?

I've theorized that Kroenke wanted Fisher because of the move. A man like Kroenke plans out well in advance... I think he planned on moving to LA before he bought the majority interest (it was why he bought the majority interest). Jeff Fisher's experience in moving from Houston to Tennessee had to be a large part of the decision to bring him in (again, my theory).

The move was made and I'm sure Fisher was instrumental in making it smoother than it could have been.

So how much "goodwill" did Jeff Fisher accumulate in helping with the move? That is the final and most important question in my mind.

And, of course, I have no idea how much (goodwill). But I think it determines how long we have Jeff Fisher.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Football coaching is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it. :cool:
Holy Sh#t! That was funny! Snackdaddy, I'm glad I didn't spew coffee all over my monitor.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The move was made and I'm sure Fisher was instrumental in making it smoother than it could have been.
Yep! All part of the master plan. Have a coach that is proven to be mediocre and then you are just good enough on the field to stay viable but not so good that you have to move from a full stadium and national attention.
Major League the movie all over again. Except for the unplanned wining of course.:sneaky:
Fisher is done as soon as the fans in LA tire of the on field performance and get distracted by what ever else goes on in the area. Unless he can do what Vermiel did and hire position coaches that can get the job done and then get the hell out of their way.
Besides, LA is obviously a baseball town.;) :D