His Jersey Needs Retired #39

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/steven-jackson-photography-art-exhibit-atlanta-falcons
What an amazing guy.

The Rams need to retire Steven Jackson's jersey when his career is over. Truly the greatest Ram in the last ten years. Selflessly worked and fought single-handedly too many times for every yard and every scrappy win the Rams had. He probably won't make the HOF without at least a SB win but it would be a disgrace. He has exhibited in spades every redeeming quality the HOF committee desires in a player. His relentless success on such a disastrous team for so many years deserves as much recognition and respect as any other great player of his time. No TRUE Rams fan should disagree. HOF #39

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I hope that one happens first home game after he officially hangs it up.

Right now, Greg Reid has that number.

A55VA6

Legend
Greg Reid is #39 right now, but maybe in the future sometime SJ39's number will be retired.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't know that he gets it retired. That's not very easily done. Hell even D.Farr wore #75. It takes a long time.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Don't think he deserves it imo... sure dude was a beast but had to be the most non team player i've seen in my years of watching football, dude didn't want to stay with us to stick it out for the wins because Fisher wanted to do a back by committee system and Jackson wanted no part of it. No. 39 stays usable.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
There's no bigger Jackson fan than me. He played his college ball here at Oregon State so I was thrilled when the Rams got him. He'd come to QB Dereck Anderson (Panther's BU QB) football camp just a few miles from here. Here was a team leader and a special player who was fast for his size and hard to bring down once he got moving. A real bruiser!

But.... Retiring a jersey is at a whole new level of success that I don't think he quite achieved.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know that he gets it retired. That's not very easily done. Hell even D.Farr wore #75. It takes a long time.
there are GSOT members up there so I believe his should be up there for carrying the franchise on his shoulders since those days. Its shouldn't always be about just wins and popularity

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Don't think he deserves it imo... sure dude was a beast but had to be the most non team player i've seen in my years of watching football, dude didn't want to stay with us to stick it out for the wins because Fisher wanted to do a back by committee system and Jackson wanted no part of it. No. 39 stays usable.

The most non team player....... really?

I'm not sure he should have his number retired, I don't know that there is enough on his resume for that honor, but I don't think you could find five people who would say he was what you just called him.

That was kinda horrible and he doesn't deserve it IMO. In fact if I had a son and he had to date lived the same life Jackson has I'd be pretty effing proud and would be bragging about him.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Whatever he does from here on out, the book on his career as a Ram is closed. Sort of like the RG three statue. It's not as if anything is going to change in that book. If you think he deserves it now then so be it, if not, so be that too. If Sj39 does actually make a Super Bowl or do anything to further careers Hall of Fame credentials...he won't do it as a Ram.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Ring of honor without a doubt...number retired??? ehhh, don't think so.

CodeMonkey

And I hate to be a bastard and I know the situation wasn't entirely his fault but the fact that he voluntarily wanted to leave this organization early on his contract has to be considered in a negative fashion to his legacy as a ram. I know it was a money deal and all of that and I understand the situation but still... Please understand that I'm not meaning to take anything away from the greatness of him as a ram or anything he ever contributed to us because he was great and I give him all of the credit I can for being the soul of the team for a long stretch. Just pointing out the white elephant in the room.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
And I hate to be a bastard and I know the situation wasn't entirely his fault but the fact that he voluntarily wanted to leave this organization early on his contract has to be considered in a negative fashion to his legacy as a ram. I know it was a money deal and all of that and I understand the situation but still... Please understand that I'm not meaning to take anything away from the greatness of him as a ram or anything he ever contributed to us because he was great and I give him all of the credit I can for being the soul of the team for a long stretch. Just pointing out the white elephant in the room.
I don't think it was a money thing. Jackson worked with the team before over money matters in order to stay.

The crucial factor was that he wasn't going to be the "bell cow" anymore. And it was Fisher who initiated that. Would you stay at a job where you no longer cared for the working conditions?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The thing is, Greg Reid shouldn't be allowed to wear that number so soon. Half the people in the crowd are wearing #39 and #13 jerseys. And not one of them are Reid or Givens jerseys.

At least make them wait a couple years, or maybe the players themselves could use some common sense and not pick that number.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
B.S. Jackson parted mutually with the team, he wanted to see if he could play for a contender before he's done. why would he play for a losing team that long if he was selfish. He still wouldve been splitting carries anywhere else he went. If he didn't love st. louis he wouldnt have stayed until he was 30. so does that mean you dont think any ofther greatest show on turf jerseys should be up there because they also left?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let's don't get carried away here, Robocop.

I'm a big SJ fan, too. But c'mon...

Here are the Rams players whose numbers have been retired:

Bob Waterfield
Merlin Olsen
Deacon Jones
Jack Youngblood
Eric Dickerson

Steven Jackson never achieved their level of accomplishment and dominance. Not even close. Sorry...

A retired jersey should only be for the most elite. The rarest of the rare, IMO.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Let's don't get carried away here, Robocop.

I'm a big SJ fan, too. But c'mon...

Here are the Rams players whose numbers have been retired:

Bob Waterfield
Merlin Olsen
Deacon Jones
Jack Youngblood
Eric Dickerson

Steven Jackson never achieved their level of accomplishment and dominance. Not even close. Sorry...

A retired jersey should only be for the most elite. The rarest of the rare, IMO.
You forgot Marshall Faulk, Jackie Slater and Isaac Bruce.

Neither Faulk or Dickerson were Rams for as long as Jackson was for one thing.

CodeMonkey

I don't think it was a money thing. Jackson worked with the team before over money matters in order to stay.

The crucial factor was that he wasn't going to be the "bell cow" anymore. And it was Fisher who initiated that. Would you stay at a job where you no longer cared for the working conditions?
We all know it was a mutual parting with best regards to one another. Both sides had good reason to move on. But move on we both did. The book is closed.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
We all know it was a mutual parting with best regards to one another. Both sides had good reason to move on. But move on we both did. The book is closed.
Dickerson left with actual acrimony. He's retired and in the ring of honor (IIRC on the last one).

All involved parties understand that it's a business at the end of the day. The way Jackson left St. Louis is not going to affect any decisions regarding number retirement/Ring of Honor in the slightest.