Hire Lovie as DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
So he can bring back the Loafing Charts.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Maybe. I like what he can do with a defense ... but he's also one of those guys who tends to go into prevent mode a bit too quickly.

God, I can't stand these guys that take their foot off the gas when the game is still in doubt and there is plenty of time to play ...

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lovie comes from Tampa Two's philosophy "Bend Don't Break" Basically give them yards when it doesn't count but clamp down when it does.

I understand that some players may not have the ability to shift gears, they either play hard all the time or soft allthe time, but can't switch gears when needed.

Also We could have a Lovie and Gurley on the same team. ;)

I was only stressing that the players taking plays off is a big issue and needs address by the coaches.
Lovie did that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I brought him up in an earlier thread, and was advised, he likes his new College Coaching gig, so he's out of the question.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
No just no. We don't need an undersized linebacking corps. He inherited a great unit in Chicago, but had no depth. He destroyed Tampa.
PASS!!!

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No just no. We don't need an undersized linebacking corps. He inherited a great unit in Chicago, but had no depth. He destroyed Tampa.
PASS!!!
We already have an undersized LB Core, Don't we?

Honestly I don't really want Lovie Smith, because I blame him for losing London Fletcher because he believed Jamie Duncan could do the job. But someone needs to bring discipline this team.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So he can bring back the Loafing Charts.

I'm not opposed to that, but it would mean kissing goodbye to Barron.
That's how we got him in the first place, he did not fit in the Lovie Smith D.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lovie wont get fired for at least 1 more disappointing season with the Illini

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lovie wont get fired for at least 1 more disappointing season with the Illini

They're truly committed four years, they will give him 4 years IMHO....That program has been a mess and it's not easy to recruit, Lovie needs time to put a fence around Chicago to ensure all the athletes don't go to Michigan & Ohio State and stay within the State to play football.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're truly committed four years, they will give him 4 years IMHO....That program has been a mess and it's not easy to recruit, Lovie needs time to put a fence around Chicago to ensure all the athletes so no to Michigan & Ohio State and stay within the State to play football.
It's been rough, but Cubit won 5 games and they thought they could improve that by going to Lovie. 3 games wont keep his job long
They screwed Cubit and ate that salary, no reason to think they wouldn't do the same to Lovie

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd be down with that. IMO a primary cover 2 type defense would not only suit our personnel, but it would also fit well with an explosive offense that can hang points on you quickly.

Plus of course I'm a big fan of Lovie's, always have been. That job at Illinois probably keeps him for another year at least, so it's a longshot, but I'd be fine with it.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's been rough, but Cubit won 5 games and they thought they could improve that by going to Lovie. 3 games wont keep his job long

Poor Bill Cubit really thought he did an amazing job, but they will give Lovie time to build his type of program and Tim Beckman was far worse, they hired Lovie Smith for not only his football acumen, but also his ethics, they will give him time before they go in another direction. Similar to Colorado and Mike MacIntyre.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
They screwed Cubit and ate that salary, no reason to think they wouldn't do the same to Lovie

looking at win total doesnt tell the full story. IMO they already seemed to improve, but had a tougher schedule this year. It would be crazy to expect such a quick turnaround but I think hes done an okay job year 1

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Poor Bill Cubit really thought he did an amazing job, but they will give Lovie time to build his type of program and Tim Beckman was far worse, they hired Lovie Smith for not only his football acumen, but also his ethics, they will give him time before they go in another direction. Similar to Colorado and Mike MacIntyre.
Beckman got canned for mistreatment of players and they jerked Cubit around. The whole admin of that school is whacked which is why it wouldn't shock me that he gets canned. Still, he signed a monster deal 6 years 21 mill with 8 mill in bonus so unless he has an epic meltdown in 2017, he probably doesn't get fired until 2018

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
looking at win total doesnt tell the full story. IMO they already seemed to improve, but had a tougher schedule this year. It would be crazy to expect such a quick turnaround but I think hes done an okay job year 1
Tougher schedule? They didn't have Ohio State and got wins over Murray State and Rutgers and caught Michigan state on their worst year in forever.
The offense was worse as was the D
They were in a bowl game in Beckman's last season and now 2 seasons later they're back to Ron Turner 3 win football

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's the big dog for the illini, I doubt he'll give that up to be at a lesser position. It's why he's not in the NFL in the first place. He refuses to downgrade.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
PASS!!!

The unit he inherited in Chicago stunk in the two years before he got there. And Tampa doesn't look so destroyed this year. ;)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He's the big dog for the illini, I doubt he'll give that up to be at a lesser position. It's why he's not in the NFL in the first place. He refuses to downgrade.

Not sure about that, I think he was blown away with the Illinois offer and opportunity. IMO, Lovie will restore the Fighting Illini to what they are an 8-3 or 9-2 team with a New Year's Day bowl game, with occasional opportunity to knock off Michigan or Ohio State.