Hind sight draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Didn't we draft Donnie Avery over both Desean Jackson AND Jordy Nelson? I believe so. That's one I can think of off the top of my head I would redo.
I still don't think Jackson would have been successful here. He's always been a diva, and as bad as we were back then, a diva would have just been a locker room distraction vs. a producer on the field.

Divas need to go to teams that are already doing well in order to produce. See Randy Moss in Oakland vs. Randy Moss in New England.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I could be happier than I am with our Pick of Donald! Forget the rest!:D

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I still don't think Jackson would have been successful here. He's always been a diva, and as bad as we were back then, a diva would have just been a locker room distraction vs. a producer on the field.

Divas need to go to teams that are already doing well in order to produce. See Randy Moss in Oakland vs. Randy Moss in New England.

True. I take Nelson over all the other two easily. Even when Jackson was doing well.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
For last years draft the only thing I would change is
2nd Garappalo
4th Martavis Bryant

Athos

Legend
In hindsight for the 2014 draft, you skip drafting Joyner, add an additional 4th and 6th R pick, and move up high enough to get Carr.

Or if you were already considering moving up in the draft for Martin, you move up, give the finger to the Vikings, and draft Bridgewater.

Or stand pat and draft Garoppolo.

So many options we had for a QB that we should have taken in a draft that had far better QB depth than this year's miserable class.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
OK, 20/20 hindsight assumptions.

1) We do NOT know Bradford or Long or Long or Quick would get injured. That's kinda unfair.
2) We don't REALLY know that Quick and Britt would be as good as they were. Wrong kind of hindsight.
3) We can undo our trades (e.g. the Lamarcus Joyner trade)
4) We can pick anyone who was taken after our picks
5) We still get Mark Barron later on.

Here's my redo:

1 2 Khalil Mack. Just a remarkable and rare talent, he's been dominating since day 1. I still believe in big GRob, I just believe in Mack a little more.

1 13 Aaron Donald. :) 'nuff said.

2 41 Jimmy Garoppolo (QB, had been picked 62). Yeah, I wanted him here back on draft day, can't go back on that now. As @Athos said, this is the spot to get a QB. 20/20 hindsight, I might have traded up for Carr or Bridgewater.

3 75 Brandon Linder (G, had been picked at 93). G for JAX playing lights out, day 1 starter. PFF has him rated as the #6 G in the NFL, virtually identical grades to Zach Martin.

4 110 Martavis Bryant (WR, had been picked 118). 20.2 ypc, 150 YAC, caught 54.5% of balls thrown to him. Nice call from @RamsJunkie

5 153 Corey Linsley (C, had been picked 161). He's played every snap for the Packers. PFF has him rated as the #3 C in the NFL.

6 188 E. J. Gaines. 'nuff said. Of course, at this point I'm TOTALLY freaking out at the lack of secondary help picked up so far in the draft. But I have high hopes for this young man from Missouri. :)

With the remaining 5 picks, the following folks were all UDFAs:

Ethan Westbrooks DE. :). 'nuff said.
Branden Oliver RB playing nicely for San Diego.
Ryan Hewitt TE/FB hybrid, kinda like Harkey but perhaps better.
Andrew Norwell G, starting at G since week 7 with Carolina, and PFF has him rated as the #19 G. That's my 7th round steal.
K'Waun Williams CB, another 7th round steal. PFF has him rated higher than EJ Gaines.

UDFAs
Marcus Roberson.
Tre Watts.

My 20/20 hindsight criticisms of myself:

1) Waited a bit too long to get secondary help and OL help. Taking both Donald and Mack in the first is a LOT of luxury picks, but the 20/20 hindsight lets me pick quality OL and quality secondary help later on.

2) We lose out on GRob and Tre Mason. Really, I thought we were set with Zach Stacey and Benny Cunningham coming into this draft, so I'm not going to go back on that thinking now. Tre Watts has also been a pleasant surprise. Upgrading from Wells and Joseph to Linsley and Linder (and even Norwell) would have made the running offense go. But that's some remarkably precise 20/20 hindsight.

3) A draftnik looking at these picks before the start of the 2014 season would not be as impressed as they would be with hindsight. But history would be on my side! :)

~~

On the plus side of this draft, the acknowledged problems with the Rams for 2015 draft - QB, LB, OG, C - would not be as significant a set of problems.

Instead, we'd be closely watching the progress of Garoppolo in Bradford's absence, and hoping that Saffold can hold himself together while manning the LT spot, wondering about Jake Long's future.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I still think NYG freaked up by not taking Donald. Eight sacks as a rookie DT? That's rediculous.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Hindsight: (First Round) I was never that high on Robinson, although now I am happy with that pick, but I would still would have preferred Mike Evans. I liked Evans more than Watkins and was my number 1 receiver. How can you argue Donald at this point.

(Second Round) Anyone who knows me from RRF knows I loved Jimmy G and thought he was the 2nd best QB behind Bridgewater. That being said I was very high on Joyner and thought that was the right pick at the time. But in hindsight, I wish we had Garappolo now. He is going to be a star.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Is there a small school/sleeper strong-armed talent like Garapolo in this year's draft the Rams might target in round 2 or 3?

The closest thing I have seen is maybe Cody Fajardo from Nevada. He struggled a bit down the stretch as his 2 starting guards got hurt and was getting a lot of pressure up the middle. He started leaving the pocket too early. He is an interesting prospect, good arm, makes good decision, quick release and a tremendous runner (4.5 40). He typically is a pass first guy which I like. There are some holes in his game as his deep ball tends to have too much air and allows for DBs to recover but his mid and sideline game is strong.

Looks like a 5th or 6th round guy now, but after the combine and visits I would not be surprised if he moved up in peoples projections. Jimmy G was projected at a 5th rounder this time last year. Fajardo is not as good as Garappolo but is a top 5 QB IMO this year. You can take that with a grain of salt because outside of Winston, I don't really like any QB in this draft lol.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do not think the Rams could have done much better with their two first round picks. I also think the Rams have fared very will picking in the early middle part of round 1 in recent drafts. The 13-14 slot seems to be sweet spot for top five-ten talents that slide some and it looks like the Rams could be picking in that range again.
You wouldn't take Martin, over Robinson?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Unless we're talking about a different Rok, Rokevious Watkins was drafted in the 5th Round (150th pick) of the 2012 draft. One of the picks obtained in the RGIII trade.

The Rams traded their second round pick to mov back and acquire a later second rounder and a fifth, which they used on Rok. So to me, he and Pead combined are a second rounder that should have been Bobby Wagner.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
You wouldn't take Martin, over Robinson?

PFF rates Bitonio (taken at the top of the 2nd) higher than Zach Martin, a much better run blocker. Linder taken in the 3rd rates about the same as Zach Martin.

I'm still miffed that the Rams under Spags couldn't get Greco on the field. Seriously, WTF!!! Every Rams fan around was clamoring for it, they could all see it when he was on the field and what a difference he made.

lockdnram21

Legend
OK, 20/20 hindsight assumptions.

1) We do NOT know Bradford or Long or Long or Quick would get injured. That's kinda unfair.
2) We don't REALLY know that Quick and Britt would be as good as they were. Wrong kind of hindsight.
3) We can undo our trades (e.g. the Lamarcus Joyner trade)
4) We can pick anyone who was taken after our picks
5) We still get Mark Barron later on.

Here's my redo:

1 2 Khalil Mack. Just a remarkable and rare talent, he's been dominating since day 1. I still believe in big GRob, I just believe in Mack a little more.

1 13 Aaron Donald. :) 'nuff said.

2 41 Jimmy Garoppolo (QB, had been picked 62). Yeah, I wanted him here back on draft day, can't go back on that now. As @Athos said, this is the spot to get a QB. 20/20 hindsight, I might have traded up for Carr or Bridgewater.

3 75 Brandon Linder (G, had been picked at 93). G for JAX playing lights out, day 1 starter. PFF has him rated as the #6 G in the NFL, virtually identical grades to Zach Martin.

4 110 Martavis Bryant (WR, had been picked 118). 20.2 ypc, 150 YAC, caught 54.5% of balls thrown to him. Nice call from @RamsJunkie

5 153 Corey Linsley (C, had been picked 161). He's played every snap for the Packers. PFF has him rated as the #3 C in the NFL.

6 188 E. J. Gaines. 'nuff said. Of course, at this point I'm TOTALLY freaking out at the lack of secondary help picked up so far in the draft. But I have high hopes for this young man from Missouri. :)

With the remaining 5 picks, the following folks were all UDFAs:

Ethan Westbrooks DE. :). 'nuff said.
Branden Oliver RB playing nicely for San Diego.
Ryan Hewitt TE/FB hybrid, kinda like Harkey but perhaps better.
Andrew Norwell G, starting at G since week 7 with Carolina, and PFF has him rated as the #19 G. That's my 7th round steal.
K'Waun Williams CB, another 7th round steal. PFF has him rated higher than EJ Gaines.

UDFAs
Marcus Roberson.
Tre Watts.

My 20/20 hindsight criticisms of myself:

1) Waited a bit too long to get secondary help and OL help. Taking both Donald and Mack in the first is a LOT of luxury picks, but the 20/20 hindsight lets me pick quality OL and quality secondary help later on.

2) We lose out on GRob and Tre Mason. Really, I thought we were set with Zach Stacey and Benny Cunningham coming into this draft, so I'm not going to go back on that thinking now. Tre Watts has also been a pleasant surprise. Upgrading from Wells and Joseph to Linsley and Linder (and even Norwell) would have made the running offense go. But that's some remarkably precise 20/20 hindsight.

3) A draftnik looking at these picks before the start of the 2014 season would not be as impressed as they would be with hindsight. But history would be on my side! :)

~~

On the plus side of this draft, the acknowledged problems with the Rams for 2015 draft - QB, LB, OG, C - would not be as significant a set of problems.

Instead, we'd be closely watching the progress of Garoppolo in Bradford's absence, and hoping that Saffold can hold himself together while manning the LT spot, wondering about Jake Long's future.
I would hate most of that draft

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I would hate most of that draft

Dude,
5-6 of them will probably be on the all-rookie team.
4-5 of them will likely make pro bowl.

You might have hated it at the time, but it'd be different when they got on the field.

lockdnram21

Legend
Trade back with buffalo

1. Zach Martin
1.2 Aaron Donald

2. Jimmy Garropolo

3. Tre Mason

4. Martavious Bryant

5. EJ Gaines

6. Sentrell Henderson

And we would have multiple picks in 2015 including a extra 1st round pick

dhaab

Rookie
But in hindsight, I wish we had Garappolo now. He is going to be a star.

Why do so many folks think Garappolo is going to be a star? It's not like we have a ton of tape on him in the NFL where he is playing well. Is it because he was a highly rated QB and now he's on the Patriots, so everyone assumes he'll be good eventually?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Why do so many folks think Garappolo is going to be a star? It's not like we have a ton of tape on him in the NFL where he is playing well. Is it because he was a highly rated QB and now he's on the Patriots, so everyone assumes he'll be good eventually?

Like I said in my post, I had him as my #2 QB behind Bridgewater. I was able to see him in camp and in the preseason. I know its not regular games but its all I can base my opinion on. He looked better in the preseason than I expected him to. The only negative I had on him before the draft was the level of competition. Being in the area I get to hear a lot of things locally and by all accounts, he is all football and always trying to learn.

I thought he was going to be very good before the draft and by the way he handles himself now, I do think at some point he will be a star.

A55VA6

Legend
1. WR Odell Beckham Jr. - He's outstanding. All-around WR. Great hands.
2. DT Aaron Donald - Pretty self-explanatory. Dominant DT.
3. QB Derek Carr - I just like what I see. I think he'd be a great fit on the Rams and would be our QB for a long time.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The Rams traded their second round pick to mov back and acquire a later second rounder and a fifth, which they used on Rok. So to me, he and Pead combined are a second rounder that should have been Bobby Wagner.
Ah, I see what you're saying. They didn't use a 2nd rounder on him though, rather a 5th. The real fail there was on the Pead pick, but I don't expect them to hit on every pick ... no team does.

My least favorite pick for this regime is Tavon Austin.