Hind sight draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
Knowing what you know now about the Rams, and what you know about these rookies,...

If you could have any 3 of them on the Rams, who would they be.

1. My first one would be Odell Beckham. I was a huge Watkins supporter, and he has had a good year despite the QB issues there. All that said, Beckham has been electric this year, a standout at the WR position this year, amongst a very good class.

2. Aaron Donald. What a home run we hit with this guy at #13. He is a beast, and is going to be a superstar for years to come in this league.

3. Zack Martin. He has been one of the best O-Lineman on the best OL in football. Would be a nice piece to add to our OL.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Odell was a great pick, but

Aaron Donald should be Defensive Rookie of the Year

GRob the anchor at left tackle for the next decade and future All Pro

I'll stick with our picks - it's almost like we picked 1 and 2

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm good with what we have in the first round.

There are million different moves you can make in hindsight outside the first round, though. I think the biggest for me would have been taking Jimmy Garoppolo rather than trading up for Joyner. I think A LOT of Joyner but I would have felt better in hindsight having a young guy to fall back on.

Don't know if Jimmy G will be any good but it still would have been nice to have a guy with potential to trot out there this year when he was ready.

EDIT: And if I'm drafting in hindsight, instead of Garrett Gilbert, I draft:
Name: Don't Play Sam Bradford Against Cleveland
Position: In The Preseason Because...
College: He Will Tear His ACL

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
I wish now we had been able to trade up and get Martin but I like the first two picks. Though I preferred Matthews.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I would keep GRob and Donald and add Martin. And to think we would have got him if Donald didn't fall to us makes me feel good about our scouts and their eye for talent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What Jrry said

Round1 the same
Round 2 Garapolo (the QB I liked the most in that draft because of his awesome short, quick release)

I was never a fan of the Joyner pick. This bunch has done well with every round except round 2. Lots of blunders in that round. I don't get it but whatever the reason they need to fix it. Right now the Rams could have Alshon Jeffrey, Bobby Wagner, and Garapolo. I'd take that along with JJ over Joyner, Quick, Pead and Rok.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Is Joyner now a bust? I don't get it....

I don't see that he is. He may not have broken out like Gaines, but hasn't Joyner also gotten bit by the injury bug?

jjab360

Legend
What Jrry said

Round1 the same
Round 2 Garapolo (the QB I liked the most in that draft because of his awesome short, quick release)

I was never a fan of the Joyner pick. This bunch has done well with every round except round 2. Lots of blunders in that round. I don't get it but whatever the reason they need to fix it. Right now the Rams could have Alshon Jeffrey, Bobby Wagner, and Garapolo. I'd take that along with JJ over Joyner, Quick, Pead and Rok.
Hard for me to say I'd take Garoppolo over Joyner right now because we still haven't really seen what either is capable of, good or bad. Also Rok wasn't a second rounder.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hard for me to say I'd take Garoppolo over Joyner right now because we still haven't really seen what either is capable of, good or bad. Also Rok wasn't a second rounder.

Joyner is a tweener. A safety that is too short.

Rok was acquired with the Rams 2nd rounder

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Is there a small school/sleeper strong-armed talent like Garapolo in this year's draft the Rams might target in round 2 or 3?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I do not think the Rams could have done much better with their two first round picks. I also think the Rams have fared very will picking in the early middle part of round 1 in recent drafts. The 13-14 slot seems to be sweet spot for top five-ten talents that slide some and it looks like the Rams could be picking in that range again.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I don't think I would change anything so far; I'm actually liking our picks so far. I think G Rob is a future All-Pro as is Donald. Joyner may need some time and Alexander was a project. Gaines might be the steal of the entire draft. Mason looks like our RB for the next 8-10 years.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Joyner is a tweener. A safety that is too short.

Rok was acquired with the Rams 2nd rounder

Unless we're talking about a different Rok, Rokevious Watkins was drafted in the 5th Round (150th pick) of the 2012 draft. One of the picks obtained in the RGIII trade.

Big Willie

Starter
The only thing I would do differently is to make better picks after the EJ Gaines pick. They had 5 picks after him and I don't believe any of them is even on our practice squad (Rhaney on injured reserve I believe). They could have done better there (developmental OLBs, OL,FS, etc.)

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I like our 1st round too much to want to do anything different. I think if Quick hadn't gotten injured, there'd be a lot less talk about Beckham because Quick would be nearing or surpassed 1000 yds by now.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Unless we're talking about a different Rok, Rokevious Watkins was drafted in the 5th Round (150th pick) of the 2012 draft. One of the picks obtained in the RGIII trade.
The Rams traded one of their 2nd round picks down 5 spots for an extra pick in the 5th. That 2nd round pick turned into Pead and Rok. Probably the biggest misstep of the RGIII trade.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In hindsight, I'd draft Donald with the #2 pick and trade up for GRob to make sure we got both guys

Sum1

Hall of Fame
That 5th round pick was acquired by trading down in the 2nd round.

If they hadn't traded down they would have taken Bobby Wagner. But the question that comes to mind for me is if the Rams had taken Wagner would Ogletree be a Ram?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That 5th round pick was acquired by trading down in the 2nd round.

If they hadn't traded down they would have taken Bobby Wagner. But the question that comes to mind for me is if the Rams had taken Wagner would Ogletree be a Ram?
Yeah, it's like how it's easy to look at 1996 and say "Wow, I wish we took Eddie George and Marvin Harrison instead of Lawrence Phillips and Eddie Kennison!" But if we had, would we have acquired Marshall Faulk and Torry Holt? And if not, does the GSOT still happen?

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Didn't we draft Donnie Avery over both Desean Jackson AND Jordy Nelson? I believe so. That's one I can think of off the top of my head I would redo.