Hill's moment is at hand/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Hill's moment is at hand

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_fb713947-68f3-54f8-a6d7-daf298c80635.html

Whether it was tongue-in-cheek or an innocent remark, Jeff Fisher elicited chuckles from reporters and brought back memories of the glory days when he said Sunday: “This team’s gonna rally around Shaun and we’re gonna go play,” Fisher said.

You know, just like Dick Vermeil and you-know-who back in 1999. Obviously, no one expects Shaun Hill to be the next Kurt Warner. And it’s unfair to Hill to even suggest that.

But in the interest of due diligence, the question had to be asked Monday when Hill met with reporters for the first time as the Rams’ starting quarterback.

Shaun, have you ever worked in a grocery store?

“No,” Hill said, taking the bait. “The closest was a fireworks stand in the

summertime. We would start out the year and we would package and ship for Jake’s

Fireworks in Pittsburg, Kansas. And then as soon as the store was able to open we’d go and run the store for a few weeks.”

OK, not exactly like stocking grocery shelves at the Hy-Vee, but it’s a start.

Which is what Hill, a native of Parsons, Kan., will be doing in the Rams’ Sept. 7 season opener against Minnesota — starting at quarterback against the Vikings.

One of the biggest media crowds of the preseason was in attendance Monday as the practice week started, wondering how the Rams would survive life without Sam Bradford and if Hill could cut it as Bradford’s replacement.

“He actually completed some passes today,” Fisher deadpanned. “And he actually knows where to go with the football, believe it or not. He’s fine. He’s a competitor, and knows what he’s doing. He’s going to make every opportunity count.”

Hill isn’t promising to deliver fireworks — that’s no longer his job. But after throwing only 16 passes over the past three seasons (as a Detroit Lion), he is ready for the opportunity.

“Definitely,” Hill said. “Obviously you feel terrible for Sam. Getting to know him here, I was really looking forward to seeing him play this year. He was going to light it up.

“But the nature of the business is next guy up — that’s me. There’s a lot of excitement, getting amped up, and ready to go for this one.”

Hill learned that Bradford’s knee injury was season-ending just like everyone else — at a team meeting Sunday. He has since talked to Bradford to offer words of encouragement.

“Like I said, I feel bad for the guy,” Hill said. “He’s gonna come back better from it, though, for sure. I guarantee it.”

Known throughout his career as a stickler for preparation, Hill said he had a good grasp of the offense by the end of OTAs, conquering the whole learning-a-new-language thing. Once training camp started he was able to hit the ground running and learn the nuances and details of the system.

“I’ve always gone into every week, even as a backup, as if I was gonna play,” Hill said. “That’s the only way I knew how to prepare. That’s the only way I knew how to do it.

“So to be honest with you, my mindset’s the same as it’s been every week. And I think throughout the length of my career, having that mindset every week has helped me to this moment. So that it’s not anything new. I don’t have to do anything different.”

Through 12 NFL seasons Hill, 34, has played in only 34 games, with 26 regular-season starts. Even with that lack of playing time, he has been an opening-day starter before, in 2009 for San Francisco.

Not that you’d expect the Rams to say we’re doomed, but Hill seems to have the full confidence of his teammates.

“Shaun Hill has everything it takes to take us to the playoffs this year,” wide receiver Chris Givens said. “He’s a leader. He demands respect in the huddle. He’s always making good decisions, and he’s a good vet guy to learn from.”

And one more from wide receiver Tavon Austin: “He’s a smart quarterback. He knows the system. He’s been around this league a while. There’s nothing he can’t handle.”

Hill said he’s had enough time on the practice field with the wideouts to develop a good rapport with the group. Keep in mind, he got plenty of reps with the starters during the June OTA period when Bradford’s practice time was limited.

“I feel comfortable with all of them,” Hill said.

The book on Hill says he is more accurate and throws a better deep ball than last year’s backup, Kellen Clemens. The fact that he has been at this a long time — the Rams were coming off a Super Bowl season when he entered the league in 2002 — should help when it comes to game-planning every week.

“I think that’s kinda where that experience and that edge will take over,” Hill said.

Fisher has done everything possible to give Hill a solid foundation, as well as send a message to the team, by reiterating to anyone who will listen that Hill is his guy and dismissing any trade speculation. You never say never in this business, but the Rams are not knocking on doors. There is a difference.

“We’ve not had discussions with anybody,” Fisher said again Monday. “Again, we’re gonna be patient with this.”

It’s possible some quarterback may be released in the next several days who interests the Rams. A trade partner may develop at some point. Who knows?

“But we’re not initiating anything right now,” Fisher said.

Fisher later added: “I think it’s important that once you make a change, for whatever reason, you stick with it. And we’re sticking with this, there’s no doubt about that.

“That allows everybody to get comfortable and have confidence in who’s under center as opposed to: ‘Well, what are we gonna do this week?’ He’s our guy, and we’re going to move forward.”
ABOUT SHAUN HILL

Ht.: 6-3

Wt: 220

Years pro: 13

BY THE NUMBERS

Games/Att/Cmp/Pct/TDs/INTs/QB Rate

34/954/591/61.9/41/23/85.9

Note: Backup quarterback Austin Davis is a second-year pro that has yet to throw a regular-season pass in the NFL.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I'm sure Bernie was sitting in the corner going "I told you so". I think Hill will be fine. The Rams aren't asking him to put the team on his shoulders and win a ton of games. Don't screw up turning the ball over, keep the game close and let the defense and special teams help.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm sure Bernie was sitting in the corner going "I told you so". I think Hill will be fine. The Rams aren't asking him to put the team on his shoulders and win a ton of games. Don't screw up turning the ball over, keep the game close and let the defense and special teams help.

He better be careful what he has to say about it,cuz his graces here are very tentative

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I like Shaun Hill. He knows what he's doing with the ball and I think our beloved Rams will win some games with him under center. He's definitely not the worst starting QB in the league.