Hill Down the Stretch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If we win out with him under center, do we resign him? He'll be 35 next year, that's the only blemish on him as our back up in the future.

The one game that's been close in the second half with Hill in he's cost us the game, the way our D played in our 2 wins with Hill in we'd of probably won with Hekker playing all game, if he can show he's capable of not being awful in high scoring games then sure why not.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't see why his age matters. Favre played until he was 40. I'm all for bringing him back next year. It's not like his arm could get weaker.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think his age is that much of a blemish on him as long as he does the things to stay in shape and even get in better shape. He also is not worn out if you think about it. If he continues to improve, I'd be in favor of signing him as a stop gap. If he goes back to playing like he did against SD - nope.

I like AD but I don't see him as a potential starter unless he really makes some improvements in the pocket or at least how he throws on the run. I want him to do well but that doesn't mean he will. Catch 22 kinda. IMO, he can't really improve without playing time but he will likely hold us back while learning. I think this would have been the year for him. Next year, we have to start strong and finish stronger.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't see room for him next year. If Bradford is back in the lineup, we draft a QB high, and Austin Davis can be signed back up from the practice squad in emergencies then why take up another spot on the roster for a guy nearing the end of his career. He is to the age where his physical abilities are not going to improve and we really know what we have in him at this point.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The one game that's been close in the second half with Hill in he's cost us the game, the way our D played in our 2 wins with Hill in we'd of probably won with Hekker playing all game, if he can show he's capable of not being awful in high scoring games then sure why not.

The one game that's been close was only close because Hill threw 2 TDs that were called back on penalties, TA's massive punt return was called back, Hill drove the Rams into close FG range and the Rams let it get blocked, and Schotty called an empty backfield pass play on 2nd and goal to go on the 4 with a tie and any hope of post-season on the line.

If the Rams don't blow that game with penalties, mistakes, and a horrible last play decision, Rams would have 3 blowouts with Hill.

Hill is a backup QB. I have no idea how you're going to find a better one than that. Rams are scoring 98-36 under Hill. If he keeps playing like he is and wins out he would have to be in the conversation of best backup in the league going into next season.

I would sign him now before the rest of the league wakes up.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The one game that's been close was only close because Hill threw 2 TDs that were called back on penalties, TA's massive punt return was called back, Hill drove the Rams into close FG range and the Rams let it get blocked, and Schotty called an empty backfield pass play on 2nd and goal to go on the 4 with a tie and any hope of post-season on the line.

If the Rams don't blow that game with penalties, mistakes, and a horrible last play decision, Rams would have 3 blowouts with Hill.

Hill is a backup QB. I have no idea how you're going to find a better one than that. Rams are scoring 98-36 under Hill. If he keeps playing like he is and wins out he would have to be in the conversation of best backup in the league going into next season.

If he wins out he better get signed by the Rams fast or someone else will grab him. This team needs him because Bradford isn't likely to be in the plans and there has to be a bridge QB for a year while a new guy learns.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
If Hill can close the year with a 5 game winning streak then that would be proof to me that he can win at home and on the road against good teams.It would not matter that he's turning 35 next year he does not have alot high mileage on him as a backup most of his career.But it would be ideal to carry 3 Qbs next year Bradford,Hill,and a rookie with a alot of potential.

FRO

Legend
Shaun Hill is a very good backup. I would definitely bring him back.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If he wins out he better get signed by the Rams fast or someone else will grab him. This team needs him because Bradford isn't likely to be in the plans and there has to be a bridge QB for a year while a new guy learns.

To me, the best scenario is Bradford / Hill / Future QB. I think either Bradford or Hill could take this team deep into the postseason. I admit, that's and early prediction for Hill, but we'll know even better in a few games.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Only exception I have with that is that Hill was throwing ducks all game and that last play was on him. He was also lumbering around like he wasn't yet in shape. Fish even said the design of the play was to go to Benny and Hill just made a bad decision. Not bagging on your guy Hill but he should have never thrown that pass. Still I keep Hill instead of AD and we will likely need to go with 3 QBs next season as Sam is anything but a sure thing to go a full season.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Only exception I have with that is that Hill was throwing ducks all game and that last play was on him. He was also lumbering around like he wasn't yet in shape. Fish even said the design of the play was to go to Benny and Hill just made a bad decision. Not bagging on your guy Hill but he should have never thrown that pass. Still I keep Hill instead of AD and we will likely need to go with 3 QBs next season as Sam is anything but a sure thing to go a full season.

True. In retrospect, he should have ate the ball, run the ball, or wait for Cunningham. I thought it was a TD. Britt was open by a step. Hill threw it dead on. It was a great defensive play to stay there and patiently wait as Hill went through progressions and jump the route.

But I just can't justify an empty backfield pass play in that situation. Hill has once again driven the team down the field into scoring position. You have Tre, Bam Bam, Zac, and Austin. You have dozens of smart conservative run or screen plays that preserve the tie and take a shot at the win. All post season hopes are on the line. Risking an interception on a bad pass / great D play, batted pass, tipped ball by the receiver, or strip sack was just not necessary.

But I disagree about the "ducks all day" comment (of course:)). Or, at least, I would have to say the bad passes mostly looked like good decisions to me. He overthrew someone long but he avoided a sack and an intentional grounding penalty while overthrowing a covered receiver. Was it a smart veteran play or a miss? He also threw a few too high. But ducks? I didn't see ducks.

Thanks, now I have to go rewatch it. Damn Jelly.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't see why his age matters. Favre played until he was 40. I'm all for bringing him back next year. It's not like his arm could get weaker.
I'm fine with either.
Part of me prefers Davis. Younger and there is still a possibility of him getting better.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
True. In retrospect, he should have ate the ball, run the ball, or wait for Cunningham. I thought it was a TD. Britt was open by a step. Hill threw it dead on. It was a great defensive play to stay there and patiently wait as Hill went through progressions and jump the route.

But I just can't justify an empty backfield pass play in that situation. Hill has once again driven the team down the field into scoring position. You have Tre, Bam Bam, Zac, and Austin. You have dozens of smart conservative run or screen plays that preserve the tie and take a shot at the win. All post season hopes are on the line. Risking an interception on a bad pass / great D play, batted pass, tipped ball by the receiver, or strip sack was just not necessary.

But I disagree about the "ducks all day" comment (of course:)). Or, at least, I would have to say the bad passes mostly looked like good decisions to me. He overthrew someone long but he avoided a sack and an intentional grounding penalty while overthrowing a covered receiver. Was it a smart veteran play or a miss? He also threw a few too high. But ducks? I didn't see ducks.

In the Oakland game. Hill looked like a different QB to me the second half. His accuracy wasn't the same as earlier in the game. He certainly did enough to win though. That's the most important thing anyway.
Btw. I was happy when we signed him. I think he's doing fine for the most part.

fearsomefour

Legend
No brainer to resign him to me.
Absolute no brainer.
If we restructure Bradford he is a quality backup for a year or two.
If Bradford is cut he can compete for a starting job. If a rookie is drafted he can mentor the young guy.
No lose for the money.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
No brainer to resign him to me.
Absolute no brainer.
If we restructure Bradford he is a quality backup for a year or two.
If Bradford is cut he can compete for a starting job. If a rookie is drafted he can mentor the young guy.
No lose for the money.

Haha, Sam is not going to be the backup. Wow!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

There is a poster on another board that is blaming that loss on GRobinson because he missed the block where Hill fumbled and it was a TD. Turns out they audibled out of the called run play and went to the pass play as teams often have an either/or and Robinson didn't hear the switch and missed his assignment.

Guess who he wanted the Rams to draft........and yeah he is entrenched in that position.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Haha, Sam is not going to be the backup. Wow!

You can't count out that possibility. In fact you can't count out ANY possibility. He may not even be cleared to play until well into the season, sometimes ACL second rehabs can be up to 18 months. So he may not play at all. He may not even be on a roster. He may be starting for the Rams or another team.

This is the most nebulous situation imaginable.