Hilarious, they can't all be as good as Ram's DE's (Hard Knocks)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Those Atlanta coaches are brutal ,I never responded well to that kind of coaching and didn't use it ,IMO there are better ways to motivate

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Those Atlanta coaches are brutal ,I never responded well to that kind of coaching and didn't use it ,IMO there are better ways to motivate

Yep. No doubt about it.

And same here.....I never responded well at all to that and never used it.
IMHO it does not work well and it's unnecessarily demeaning.

jjab360

Legend
Honestly, I just feel bad for his shirt lol.

But yeah, that's some of the same things I saw watching Hageman at Minnesota, gets pushed off the ball way too easily at times and just very inconsistent overall.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Cox was pretty tame compared to special teams coach Keith Armstrong. There is other ways to get your message across to players. "I'm a man and said it to your face, and not behind your back in the bathroom!" WTF!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Wow. No wonder all these guys go out late at night to drink. If I had to deal with that shit, I would. Actually, I would be charged with assault for stomping a mudhole in the coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is how it is for the most part in the NFL.

Hell, does anyone remember what QBs would say about Martz? The guy was brutal. Always up your ass for everything. But he was an amazing QB Coach because he rode those guys over every minute detail until they got it right. If I were a coach, that's how I'd be. I'd do my best not to be insulting but I'd be on you 24/7 making sure you were doing things right.

The players that want it will respond and the players that don't will probably just tune you out. But nothing you can do about that.

Honestly, I just feel bad for his shirt lol.

But yeah, that's some of the same things I saw watching Hageman at Minnesota, gets pushed off the ball way too easily at times and just very inconsistent overall.

Frankly, I think he deserves a good kick in the ass. Guy was a lazy, inconsistent player in college. Had the talent to dominate...nobody should have blocked the kid. But only had a few dominant plays a game while he spent the rest looking like a bum...because he coasted.

This is the type of kid you ride...you don't baby him. That's just my opinion.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Cox was pretty tame compared to special teams coach Keith Armstrong. There is other ways to get your message across to players. "I'm a man and said it to your face, and not behind your back in the bathroom!" WTF!

Armstrong was brutal, and did it while calling that guy out in front of everyone and ripping him apart for 5 minutes. felt bad for that guy. That was to much. Looked like he was ready to cry.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

I get what you're saying and I was the same. Hated this kind of "feedback". I'd just go into my shell and go all sulky and be like "f u coach - I'm trying my best - if you don't like it I'm not going to bother" - but that's (along with my lack of athletic ability) is why I'm not an NFL player! These guys are driven monsters and MUST respond well to challenges like that. If they respond like I did, then you've got the wrong type of character in your dressing room.

He should respond by thinking;

"Im never gonna let that happen again - I'm never gonna have the coach call me out in front of my teammates - and he's right - I was letting that guy treat me like his bitch - well that crap stops now. I'm gonna be a BEAST from here on."

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Atlanta's D-line is so terrible that you need to try to get something out of them. This is the job they are paid to do so they can do it well or the coaches have the right to rip you a new one.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I get what you're saying and I was the same. Hated this kind of "feedback". I'd just go into my shell and go all sulky and be like "f u coach - I'm trying my best - if you don't like it I'm not going to bother" - but that's (along with my lack of athletic ability) is why I'm not an NFL player! These guys are driven monsters and MUST respond well to challenges like that. If they respond like I did, then you've got the wrong type of character in your dressing room.

He should respond by thinking;

"Im never gonna let that happen again - I'm never gonna have the coach call me out in front of my teammates - and he's right - I was letting that guy treat me like his bitch - well that crap stops now. I'm gonna be a BEAST from here on."
Problem with that stuff is it has a short shelf life,each time you use it it gets less effective until it becomes apparent that's as far as you can go.
There are two major forms of motivation faith and fear, fear diminishes with familiarity faith grows,but hey there are some people who can't be reached one way so there ARE times that theory X is appropriate,just seems to me the Atlanta asst. coaches are total theory X .
So I'm not in complete disagreement with ya on this.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
I think if Cox has the proper relationship with a player, he can talk to him like that.. Otherwise, it's gonna fail.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd love to know the kind of personalities and on field coaching styles of the St. Louis coaches. any insight @CoachO ?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Atlanta's D-line is so terrible that you need to try to get something out of them. This is the job they are paid to do so they can do it well or the coaches have the right to rip you a new one.
Yeah Rasta but when you use that form and that's how you have to get it out of them you have to keep using it .
A lot of wrestling coaches will chew a kids ass when he loses,I don't cuz I know he isn't hearing it anyway,I make HIM tell me what he did,I KNOW then he's thinking about what I need him to .You can yell at 120 decibels but if they aren't listening you're wasting your breath.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'd love to know the kind of personalities and on field coaching styles of the St. Louis coaches. any insight @CoachO ?
I'm afraid Williams is much the same as Cox, but he's so innovative he can inspire faith, FWIW the cursing is just meaningless though just fucking meaningless

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's ways to be forceful and motivating without the "head slap" mentality. BUT at the same time every player is different. They have different ways of learning and different ways of being motivated and have different levels of self-esteem. good coaches recognize a players style and fuels it

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Problem with that stuff is it has a short shelf life,each time you use it it gets less effective until it becomes apparent that's as far as you can go.
There are two major forms of motivation faith and fear, fear diminishes with familiarity faith grows,but hey there are some people who can't be reached one way so there ARE times that theory X is appropriate,just seems to me the Atlanta asst. coaches are total theory X .
So I'm not in complete disagreement with ya on this.

Thordaddy, I must agree with you on the bolded part and also your last statement.

I have a crew of 15 employees that I manage. Each one is different and responds to different forms of motivation. Being a former military man, you can probably guess what method I used when I first started managing (think R.Lee Emory in Full Metal Jacket). Well that lasted about 3 months before I saw signs of revolt. So I changed. Funny how your reputation precedes you though because every other crew I have managed since the beginning has me pegged as a hard ass. Then after about 2-3 months working together they start to see that I'm not the hard ass they had heard about. They start to see a boss who has their backs, defends them when they do right, coaches them when improvement is needed and praises them when they excel. Oh don't get me wrong, I still use the harsh language to get my point across when needed but those times are very few and far between nowadays.

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.