Hilarious power ranking description for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
That's the thing, most years in our position a part of you is hoping for that loss (it's a tiny part, a much bigger part still wants to win i.e. that last game against the 49ers in 2011 which would have meant we got the number 3 pick). But with the Redskins sucking so bad we can still go into every game 100% committed to winning.

We're also in a position where we aren't in desperate need of a top pick, we have quality throughout the team.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I never wanted a loss, and I don't think any W is meaningless.

A55VA6

Legend
I'll take victories over a better draft pick.. especially when we have that 'Skins pick!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
People hate this opinion - but I'm gonna say it anyway. Once a season over mathematically, tank it baby. I'll take the picks over victories then. Why? The ultimate goal - a superbowl victory. No one remembers an 8-8 season - everyone remembers winning it all. So put yourself in a position where you're most likely to win it as quickly as possible. That goal is helped (theoretically at least) by having higher draft picks.

Doesn't always work that way in practice I know but the sentiment is sound.

Also - I don't actually live in St. Lo. so I don't pay my hard earned cash to go to the games. I understand people who do have the means and the will to pony up expect and demand their team plays hard every down for them. I respect and understand that.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
@ RaminExile -- While I understand your logic, to a point at least, I think there is a lot to be said about learning how to win, especially with a team as young as ours. If you tank you're telling everyone in that locker room that losing is acceptable and I think becomes bigger than just the losses.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
People hate this opinion - but I'm gonna say it anyway. Once a season over mathematically, tank it baby. I'll take the picks over victories then. Why? The ultimate goal - a superbowl victory. No one remembers an 8-8 season - everyone remembers winning it all. So put yourself in a position where you're most likely to win it as quickly as possible. That goal is helped (theoretically at least) by having higher draft picks.

Doesn't always work that way in practice I know but the sentiment is sound.

Also - I don't actually live in St. Lo. so I don't pay my hard earned cash to go to the games. I understand people who do have the means and the will to pony up expect and demand their team plays hard every down for them. I respect and understand that.

Ummm 3-13 vs. 8-8 is a world of difference for self confidence and overall image of the team.

Having top 5 picks means bad play and probably dysfunction to some extent. Not a pretty picture.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't know how you play the game of football half-ass to tank.

For starters; that's how someone gets hurt.

Secondly; what message does that send to the team about winning, effort, and sportsmanship? I couldn't lead a group of men that way.

And lastly; the fans. You want them to pay to see that, or better yet, be loyal to a team that plays by that set of rules?

As Herm Edwards once said; "you play to win the game".

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
Like I said! People often disagree with me on this one!

While I agree with you I'd probably rather the Rams lose every game to move up in draft position. The more I think about it the more I'm changing my mind. Tanking just feels dirty, and players+staff must be miserable during a 3-10 season. I'd rather the staff enjoy their season and want to stay.

Make no mistake losing can help your team. I forget the exact year but the Cleveland Browns won 2 games a few years back and moved out of a position to draft their ideal QB. The next year that team with the rookie QB got them to the playoffs.

Alan

Legend
I don't want us to purposely lose games and i won't root for us to lose but losses that get you high draft picks don't seem to hurt nearly as bad as other losses do.:D

8-8 would show improvement (although we're still losing ground in our own division) and still get us a reasonable draft pick. Make it so Fisher.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Losing for a higher pick should not be allowed. I'm not an NBA fan, but I would not be against the NFL adopting some kind of lottery pick draft position slotting for the worst 5 teams.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That is hilarious haha!

But hey, the mental state of our young team going into the offseason is very important to me. The Saints are a nice feather in our hats and I'd like to make the Seahawks and Buccs 2 more... especially the Seahawks. This team needs to beleive and I feel they do. Big things appear to be lining up!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
We get a great pick out of the Skins, we can win all we want. At this point, going for 8-8 is something they should shoot for. Get this team a .500 season, avoid another losing season if you can, who gives a damn about the picks? We've gotten enough top 10 picks in the last 10 years to sate us forever, I want winning.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't see how you can convince a player to tank anyways?

"You'll have bad tape on film, and will not be compensated financially, but we'll get a higher draft pick that will be used to replace you." :uhm:

fearsomefour

Legend
One issue with attempting to have a team tank it is players want to play and perform. If you think a vet with professional pride is going to miss tackles or blocks just cause, that isent going to happen. If you pull all the veterans and play rookies in their place the culture of the league means you are telling them their performance is not up to snuff. I think you would end up alienating whole bunches of players.