Higbee named breakout candidate for Rams.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Higbee-Named-Breakout-Candidate-for-Rams/2c93f74f-e2fe-47dc-b7b1-48e36ae5b8b6

Over at Bleacher Report Sean Tomlinson went through every NFL team and tried to predict the breakout player for each this upcoming season. Out of all the candidates for the Rams, who did Tomlinson choose?

Tyler Higbee.

Higbee, who was drafted in the fourth round by the Rams in 2016 out of Western Kentucky, will be entering his second NFL season in 2017. In his rookie campaign, the tight end started seven of 16 games, managing 11 receptions for 85 yards. Most of his production came during the latter half of the season when Jared Goff took over starting QB duties, including his only score, which happened in week 16.

But at 6-6 and 250 lbs the 24-year-old Higbee has a lot of upside, and Tomlinson sees a big opportunity:

"Higbee became the Rams' starting tight end after the departure of Lance Kendricks, who was released and signed by the Green Bay Packers. It's likely only a face plant during OTAs and training camp will remove him from that position. That's certainly the impression you get when listening to Rams head coach Sean McVay shower praise on his new tight end.

"McVay was the Washington Redskins' offensive coordinator in 2016, and his unit finished with the most tight end receiving yards. So he knows what a tight end who can thrive in his system looks like."

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah now we don't have to worry about sending out Kendricks on an option route while leaving in Higbee to block. What a bunch of nincompoops our staff used to be!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I sure hope so, there's no real solid TE on our roster right now and I worry about the position, honestly all our receiving corp makes me worry.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Durability concerns on Higbee, but if he is able to stay on the field the sky is the limit besides another high selection of Tight End adding to the mix.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Higbee is sitting in a great spot at the moment.
I'm not worried about Higbees' rookie year. Rarely dies a rookie TE contribute much, regardless of draft position.

Hemingway is a guy to keep an eye on as well.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Improving last year's stats shouldn't be hard, still wish they brought in a vet to help him out and I'm not sold on him as a blocker yet. Kendricks needed to go , he dropped alot of easy catches. Hemingway is a great athlete too hopefully they can bring him along.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Improving last year's stats shouldn't be hard, still wish they brought in a vet to help him out and I'm not sold on him as a blocker yet. Kendricks needed to go , he dropped alot of easy catches. Hemingway is a great athlete too hopefully they can bring him along.

My thoughts as well. Some good TE's in the draft as well.

I'm for Engram .

Will McVay use a FB ?? What is Cory Harkey's future ?

bdfitz

UDFA
Higbee's highlight reel was nuts, I liked him in preseason but he looked very pedestrian in games and very tentative for a guy his size. Rookie year, I get it but I never saw a beast. It was Quick, then Britt (who finally broke out) now our big contracts are going to guys like Austin, Gurley and Goff we're all hoplifying can break out. A lot of potential. Not much to show for the paychecks written. Build the OLine. These guys can't all be underachievers.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Don't sleep on Hemingway. He could be a stud in McVay's system.

But yes, I agree that Higbee has a ton of potential to break out.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I liked the Higbee pick coming out of the draft. McVay incorporates TEs into the game more than Fisher/Boras ever did so he is bound to turn it up.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Higbee's highlight reel was nuts, I liked him in preseason but he looked very pedestrian in games and very tentative for a guy his size. Rookie year, I get it but I never saw a beast. It was Quick, then Britt (who finally broke out) now our big contracts are going to guys like Austin, Gurley and Goff we're all hoplifying can break out. A lot of potential. Not much to show for the paychecks written. Build the OLine. These guys can't all be underachievers.

Do you realize how young the Offensive line was ?? Tim Barnes is gone now as well. They just signed an all/pro LT who is going to play next to Roger Saffold.

Talk about wasted money ?? Where was Greg Robinson drafted ?? Before who ?? Aaron Donald ??

Rob Hav was injured which in sense is no excuse. I think he will be better in space. I'm not sure if that is because of his foot , but it looked like he was having trouble getting far enough out to his right. In space he can use his long arms, he is an excellent run blocker , who also can get to the second level.
Jamon Brown has been soft, & needs to mature. I think he will get the picture. Sort of playful type. I saw him just get destroyed by Aaron Donald , that it was sad.Inhad high hopes for him. I still believe he has a lot of upside. Just needs to deicate himself , which Inthink he does. I believe he has a big heart.
Wichmann is another young O-Lineman that has upside.

--BTW you need to by the movie dumb & dumber !! It might make you laugh. Gurley & Austin did well at the end of 2015 . I think play calling is a big part of all these players.

I'm not going back to The Fisher days though.
I can't wait to see what Snead & McBay come up with in the draft. I think I like the signing of Robert Wood , he is a true professional.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hig is a real safe bet for that. Year 2 which is big for TEs, he's tight with the young QB, lots of production in his college career, great hands and radius, and he's better after the catch than many realize. Big target like him should benefit greatly from an elite OC who cut his teeth as TE coach.

If he works hard and can stay healthy watch out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What durability concerns? I thought he was healthy last year?

Snead came out & said Higbee was going to fit well in McVays offense & that he is going to show vast improvement .
He sai Higbee was playing hurt & will be healthy. He was hurt from game one & never really caught up .
Hemingway looks like a freak of an athlete. Very raw but just seems smooth & like a player. I think he could be an asset on special teams as well. Never got Fisher keeping Chase ? Maybe it was his leadership to such young players. There are also some real good looking tight ends out there. Good draft for TE's.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I loved the Higbee pick last year and I really hope he makes a big jump this year. Honestly, he did not jump off the screen at all when I watched him last year. Hoping he was just playing tentative since he we was a rook after all.