Hey wait a second...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Cook is our new slot receiver (and that's all I hear anymore), then ....

We don't need Tavon Austin

AND

We could still be in the hunt for Ertz or Eifert.

Imagine lining up a big set with Kendricks, Eifert & Cook - and with Givens or Quick on the outside? That's a lot of big targets for Sam, and it's the perfect set to run behind as well. I also remember a few big plays from Givens with him being the *only* wide receiver on the field at the time.

…..

Legend
seeing those guys mocked in the 20ish range...and its an interesting take.

I just havent bought into the fact that Cook is going to the slot. I'd rather call it the 'Wide TE technique", which will be deployed "now and then" :ww:

but if I'm reading between the lines, you're saying if one of those guys is the BPA...anything is possible. I'm ok with that.

Steven3k

UDFA
Name
Steven
I really can't decide if I want Tavon Austin or not. On one side, I love the explosive plays he could potentially bring to the Rams offense. Then on the other side, I think we need a true #1 receiver which Austin doesn't have the body to be. Plus, we already have that speed WR in Chris Givens.

.......But the guy is soooo damn fast!

I can't decide. :amped: :amped: :amped:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The Dude said:

AND

Imagine lining up a big set with Kendricks, Eifert & Cook - and with Givens or Quick on the outside? That's a lot of big targets for Sam, and it's the perfect set to run behind as well. I also remember a few big plays from Givens with him being the *only* wide receiver on the field at the time.
This is quite an interesting take, as who on the D is going to cover 6'5" 250lbs Cook on the slot, especially given that he runs a 4.42s 40? This would be a wild offensive set (i.e. "big set"), and I would absolutely love to see all the plays that the O could run from it.

A55VA6

Legend
The thing that bothers me is Austin and Patterson have the chance to be elite WR's.. but they also have chances at failing for their certain reasons. Tough decision to make on draft day if they're there.

Simba

Rookie
The Dude said:

AND

Do you think could be possible without a scheduled meeting in Rams Park with Ertz or Eifert?I would like pretty much this move!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
TE/WR are receiving weapons it's just a matter how you use them.

Cook + Quick + Pettis = Big Targets
Givens = Speed Target

We need more speed targets.

And... we need quickness targets to complete the arsenal.

Cook might be fast, and might line up in the slot, but he's not the type of player Austin and Patterson are.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
The Dude said:

AND

Dude I abide by this personnel package you described above would be wicked and im so pumped up for this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I feel like I'm detecting sarcasm...
Nope. Not at all. Let me spitball here a little.

I think they brought Cook in to be the slot receiver, and I believe they're going to use him that way more than 60% of the time. Similarly, Austin Pettis doubled as a slot receiver and flanker (50/50 exactly). In fact (and I'm going to find this clip again somehow), Pettis was in for Amendola at one point, ran a SICK little route from the slot, and the announcer actually took the time to slow it down, draw it out, and say "See, this is what a guy like Amendola can do for you" - without even realizing it was Pettis.

Point being, there's more than one way to skin a cat. If Pettis and Cook (combined) can give us everything we would be missing with the departure of Amendola, and still contribute at other positions, then why would we need yet another slot receiver? If they took a big playmaking TE, then there could be a shift to more of a focus on movement, big bodies, and disguised formations. Jumbo sets with 3 potential receiving targets (Cook, Kendricks, Eifert) would make it very difficult for a defense to determine what the hell's going on. Are they going to run? What happens if Kendricks motions? What happens if Cook splits out wide? What happens if they all line up on the right? Who do you cover, and how do you key on the RB in that situation? And setting picks would be REALLY easy with those guys. Wow. Also, think about what NE was able to do with a healthy Gronkowski and Hernandez and Welker. Who was able to stop them consistently?

I like Austin, and I like Patterson, but I also like the idea of a big body offense. If we're going to be known as a physical team, then let's do it across the board. Offense AND defense. I'd like for our offense to kick a team's ass for 4 quarters and make them know they're in a war. And when they're tired of trying to tackle Kendricks and Eifert and Cook, then drop a few bombs over the top to Givens or Quick - you know - just for the sport of it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The Dude said:
bluecoconuts said:

I think they brought Cook in to be the slot receiver, and I believe they're going to use him that way more than 60% of the time. Similarly, Austin Pettis doubled as a slot receiver and flanker (50/50 exactly). In fact (and I'm going to find this clip again somehow), Pettis was in for Amendola at one point, ran a SICK little route from the slot, and the announcer actually took the time to slow it down, draw it out, and say "See, this is what a guy like Amendola can do for you" - without even realizing it was Pettis.

Point being, there's more than one way to skin a cat. If Pettis and Cook (combined) can give us everything we would be missing with the departure of Amendola, and still contribute at other positions, then why would we need yet another slot receiver? If they took a big playmaking TE, then there could be a shift to more of a focus on movement, big bodies, and disguised formations. Jumbo sets with 3 potential receiving targets (Cook, Kendricks, Eifert) would make it very difficult for a defense to determine what the hell's going on. Are they going to run? What happens if Kendricks motions? What happens if Cook splits out wide? What happens if they all line up on the right? Who do you cover, and how do you key on the RB in that situation? And setting picks would be REALLY easy with those guys. Wow. Also, think about what NE was able to do with a healthy Gronkowski and Hernandez and Welker. Who was able to stop them consistently?

I like Austin, and I like Patterson, but I also like the idea of a big body offense. If we're going to be known as a physical team, then let's do it across the board. Offense AND defense. I'd like for our offense to kick a team's ass for 4 quarters and make them know they're in a war. And when they're tired of trying to tackle Kendricks and Eifert and Cook, then drop a few bombs over the top to Givens or Quick - you know - just for the sport of it.
It's an intriguing "spitball " you throw out there X (can I stiil call you that cuz it's less letters and the name I befriended you under?) interesting in deed and if it worked well it could make us a very physical team along with explosive,on a 50 yard field.
My initial reactions though are these:
Damn that sounds like what Linny was trying to do when he attempted to corner the market on tight ends,BTW not Dumbass Linny, Linny the OC who is putting up numbers in Detwoi.
Second ,we still need to stretch an 80 yard field and Tavon Austin or Cordarelle P would do that.
So spitball back atcha,tell thetruth now man did I giveyou that term cuz I got it from my 18 year old. :rofl:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The Dude said:
....think about what NE was able to do with a healthy Gronkowski and Hernandez and Welker. Who was able to stop them consistently?
Given that our owner wants to migrate to the NE-model, and given that this Big Set could potentially pummel D's over several quarters, and given this sets play-flexibility, I continue to find this more and more interesting.

And what if we drafted a speedy playmaker at #22 (like a Corelle Patterson) and put him out wide, next to Givens, or even in the backfield in this Big Set? We could run just about any pass or run play and D would certainly have its hands full - run or pass.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd like to see a set with Tavon in the backfield 2 TE's and 2 wrs

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Dude said:
bluecoconuts said:

Intriguing. But do you really think we need to go after one of the top TEs in order to do this? You could probably get Escobar in the third or Sims in the 4th and I'm just not sure there's a huge drop off. I will have to say... you could really hide the run/play action behind 8 guys all well over 6 ft tall. Put 5'8" Austin behind that and he might be past the LOS before anyone knows where he is. Even Sam could hide behind that line while Givens streaks down the sideline.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
My objection to this is the same for picking a DT in the first ... we have bigger holes to fill and picking a rotational DT, or a TE for specific (ie, specialty) plays doesn't fit with our needs.

We need more impact with our first rounders than part-time players.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
The Dude said:
bluecoconuts said:

Intriguing. But do you really think we need to go after one of the top TEs in order to do this? You could probably get Escobar in the third or Sims in the 4th and I'm just not sure there's a huge drop off. I will have to say... you could really hide the run/play action behind 8 guys all well over 6 ft tall. Put 5'8" Austin behind that and he might be past the LOS before anyone knows where he is. Even Sam could hide behind that line while Givens streaks down the sideline.
I think Pettis is extremely underrated in his ability to get open in tight spaces, and his long speed is sneaky. I'd like to see him utilized more, and this year he will be.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If this is the model that the Rams seek,then i would think that Keenan Allen would be in play over Patterson on draft day,simply because he's more NFL ready on the outside than Patterson at this point.

Also,its likely that Allen will be available at #22,while Patterson will very likely be gone.

I'm not opposed to this idea Dude,it makes some sense,but the X factor is B.Quick.
Givens is going to recieve alot of attention from opposing defnses this season. Upgrading the slot with Cook and Pettis is great,but having a kid on the other side who potentially cant play(Quick) does us no good.

We still need look hard at WR...and IMO drafting Austin if he's available(even as a slot guy/wherever guy) will simply give Bradford more options.

If Brian Quick is ready to play then we'll be fine. BIG if.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
mojorizen7 said:
If this is the model that the Rams seek,then i would think that Keenan Allen would be in play over Patterson on draft day,simply because he's more NFL ready on the outside than Patterson at this point.

Also,its likely that Allen will be available at #22,while Patterson will very likely be gone.

I'm not opposed to this idea Dude,it makes some sense,but the X factor is B.Quick.
Givens is going to recieve alot of attention from opposing defnses this season. Upgrading the slot with Cook and Pettis is great,but having a kid on the other side who potentially cant play(Quick) does us no good.

We still need look hard at WR...and IMO drafting Austin if he's available(even as a slot guy/wherever guy) will simply give Bradford more options.

If Brian Quick is ready to play then we'll be fine. BIG if.

I have to say, with watching Allen play and his injury that not only ended his season early but kept him out of the combine AND his pro day, I would be pretty irritated if we used a first rounder on him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, I don't think they're looking at it that way. I think the bringing in Tavon Austin and not bringing in Ertz or Eifert pretty much says that they don't view Cook as just as a slot WR in the offense.

Plus, both Ertz and Eifert are move TEs who have a long ways to go as blockers before they can line-up inline in the NFL(I don't know if Eifert ever will effectively). In that case, you're essentially drafting the same role as Jared Cook.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 said:
Dude, I don't think they're looking at it that way. I think the bringing in Tavon Austin and not bringing in Ertz or Eifert pretty much says that they don't view Cook as just as a slot WR in the offense.

Plus, both Ertz and Eifert are move TEs who have a long ways to go as blockers before they can line-up inline in the NFL(I don't know if Eifert ever will effectively). In that case, you're essentially drafting the same role as Jared Cook.
I think the Dude's tongue exploded through his cheek :hehe: