Herschel Walker, Marshall Faulk! Adrian Peterson And... Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramifications

What do they have in common?

The only AP first team All Americans as true freshman in NCAA history.

Many know this already, but it might be worth a reminder that he isn't just coming off a consensus top WR in the nation-type season, but that it confirmed and validated one of the best freshman seasons ever at any position.

Not sure if he will be in play at 1.2 (or 1.4 or 1.6 in a trade down?), along with other possibles such as Robinson and Matthews? He would instantly become the Rams best WR since Holt and Bruce. The Rams have had issues developing WRs the past two years (see slow starts by Quick and Austin, a regression by Givens and the misread of not getting Bailey on the field sooner), and getting a WR who hit the ground running like few other college WRs ever have before him is an appealing one. I have seen the argument that we have already spent too many high picks on the position since 2011, but it depends on your perspective (and keep in mind this was an argument invoked for DET to not take Calvin Johnson, which would have been a catastrophic blunder by compounding earlier errors of commission with a far worse one of omission).

2011 - Not Fisher and Snead's picks. Third rounder Pettis is a good teammate, but a plodder with little burst or explosion that struggles to get open. If he is starting, our passing offense is doomed to mediocrity. Fourth rounder Salas cut after one year, bounced on and off PHIs roster.

2012 - Second rounder Quick looks like a small school reach based on being a workout warrior, on a Jerome Simpson-like career arc and trajectory. Going into his third year, we have no idea whether he will emerge or not? Fourth rounder Givens looked promising as a rookie, and he was no doubt negatively impacted by Bradford's absence. But he looks one dimensional, and may always be a complementary deep threat, maybe ideally better suited as a WR3?

2013 - By moving up from 1.16 to 1.8, Austin became the Rams only first rounder at WR since Torry Holt in '99, a decade and a half ago (so adding another first round WR in consecutive years could be viewed as making up for lost time). I do like Austin a lot (look at the Oklahoma game if he fulfills his potential), but in retrospect we could have had Patterson and Warford. Be that as it may, he isn't a prototypical WR1, and could perhaps thrive more if he wasn't he focus of opposing defense's pass coverage game plans from week to week. Third round Bailey reminds me of the love child of Hines Ward and Derrick Mason and is IMO a hidden gem. If they do add Watkins, I would start him with Bailey in two WRs sets, and add Austin in three WRs sets.

With a returning Bradford and Stacy, receiving weapons such as Watkins, Austin, Bailey and Cook (Quick and Givens could rotate situationally as WR4, whether a red zone or deep threat is needed) would put tremendous pressure on defenses. A true WR1 would help better leverage the investment in Bradford and Austin, creating more space for them to operate in by his very presence. It would make the Rams harder to defend by giving the offense more balance, and quick strike, big play ability through the air.

Some say Watkins isn't AJ Green and Julio Jones, but he may be the top prospect at the position since them (including Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant, who went in the twenties in their draft, Bryant for off field concerns, Thomas because of Georgia Tech's scheme-driven sparse usage - as PROSPECTS at a comparable stage of development, Watkins appears to carry a significantly higher grade).

While he isn't the preferred 6'3" 220+ lbs., Green is only 208 lbs., and Bryant only 6'2". So at a listed 6'1" 205 lbs., he is is witin the outer range of their height and weight of the top five WR prototype. The comp I like to use is a slightly taller, thinner Roddy White (6'0" 215 lbs.), not as strong (White former state wrestling champ) but faster and more explosive (Warkins former 10.4 100 m. as prep). White doesn't have prototype size, either. But aside from lack of elite TD production likely keeping him out of top five WRs in the league discussion, I think no WR has more receptions since 2007 (includes the likes of prolific possession receivers such as Welker and Wayne).

Another comp, and it isn't exact but I kind of see it in his preternatural suddenness, explosiveness, burst and instant acceleration, where they look like they are getting a one step advantage and moving at a different speed than everybody else on the field (like Matrix bullet time)... Percy Harvin. They also share a prep 10.4 100 m., and the ability to carry the ball out of the backfield, with deceptive RB-like strength.

Untile recently, I was leaning heavily towards Watkins with the first round pick, but lately, I'm torn and also appreciate what LT Robinson could add. It would be amazing, possibly with a trade down and up with the two firsts, to get both.

Last edited: