Here's what you can expect from Jared Goff in his first NFL start for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
An argument can be made that those receivers elevated Goff's level of play. An argument cannot be made that the Rams' receivers will elevate Goff. He'll be forced to carry them. I don't think he'll be able to do that -- at least not immediately.

Somebody's in for a surprise, and I hope it's not me, because I absolutely can make the argument that the Ram's receiving corps could be exceptional and elevate his play. Somebody hasn't been paying attention.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
"In college, Goff worked with a committee of receivers. All of them were good. Despite the fact that not too many people around the nation knew about those receivers, most of them ended up earning spots at the next level. The point being, even Goff's third, fourth, and fifth receivers are playing in the NFL. Without being drafted -- Trevor Davis was the only one who didn't go undrafted -- they managed to stick around at the highest level."

:confused:
I'm Purdy sure Goff's receivers with the Rams have all managed to stick around at that, "highest level", as well

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nobody really knows what Goff will play like. The article does pretty good at pointing out Goff's strengths. I think he is off by saying Cal's receivers are better than what the Rams have simply because they are in the NFL. The Rams have two first rounders and a second rounder that were more prolific college players than Cals receivers. Tavon alone had insane college production. That doesn't mean one group is better than the other, but that college production doesn't necessarily equal NFL production.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I'm pretty sure what we'll see from Goff this week will make the far majority of us happy that the switch was made. He will likely NOT light it up, but I think we'll see a better than average performance, and I'm speaking "NFL better than average" when I say that.

He will make 2 or 3 throws (completions) that make us say WOW. And he'll probably drop a couple nice passes over the middle about 10 yards deep on crossing routes. One of those just might spring Tavon into that lovely open space.

It'll be interesting (and hopefully exciting) to watch. Not televised here in Washington State though. :(

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
An argument can be made that those receivers elevated Goff's level of play.
I would like to hear that argument.Every tape I watched of Goff
in college seem to suggest quite the opposite.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting, maybe it's just me but the only Cal WR I can think of that played with Goff that was any good was Kenny Lawler. Yet this guy speaks glowingly of them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cal had good receivers and they're all in the NFL? Holy CRAP - I was watching the wrong Cal team all along. Goff had two receivers and a TE that barely snuck into the draft and he had a total of 6 seasons with those three players.

The cast of receivers Goff had at Cal was pretty weak by any measure. Credibility - this guy has none.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An argument can be made that those receivers elevated Goff's level of play. An argument cannot be made that the Rams' receivers will elevate Goff. He'll be forced to carry them. I don't think he'll be able to do that -- at least not immediately.

Somebody's in for a surprise, and I hope it's not me, because I absolutely can make the argument that the Ram's receiving corps could be exceptional and elevate his play. Somebody hasn't been paying attention.

I friggin hate that argument by the writer. If a wr gets open how is the Qb elevating their play? The argument is the Qb can elevate the offense because he is the one that pulls the trigger and if he plays well the offense should be elevated.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"In college, Goff worked with a committee of receivers. All of them were good. Despite the fact that not too many people around the nation knew about those receivers, most of them ended up earning spots at the next level. The point being, even Goff's third, fourth, and fifth receivers are playing in the NFL. Without being drafted -- Trevor Davis was the only one who didn't go undrafted -- they managed to stick around at the highest level."

:confused:
I'm Purdy sure Goff's receivers with the Rams have all managed to stick around at that, "highest level", as well

Haha, talk about a writer outsmarting himself trying to sound smart.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But people that go to the games say the wrs are open more than not and case just couldn't get the ball to them. I think Goff will be just fine with these wrs.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would like to hear that argument.Every tape I watched of Goff
in college seem to suggest quite the opposite.

I'm missing your meaning? I was quoting the article. Are you saying the 11th and 12th YPR receivers in the NFL, Britt and Quick, while catching from CK, aren't going to lift Goff, or the opposite?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I friggin hate that argument by the writer. If a wr gets open how is the Qb elevating their play? The argument is the Qb can elevate the offense because he is the one that pulls the trigger and if he plays well the offense should be elevated.

It's a dumb argument and senseless in this context especially. You hit Britt or Quick and they are catching it. And they are both getting open.

Britt and Quick are 11th and 12th in the NFL for yards per reception with Case Keenum throwing, for god's sake.

This is Goff's field for the taking if he can stay away from Miami's pass rush.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Britt and Quick are 11th and 12th in the NFL for YPR and Britt was on pace for 1200 yards with Case. They are significantly better in my estimation, but we shall see if their play is rewarded.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

You explained it better than the author . thanks !

For the record : I'm sure he's wrong.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you're saying but there are more DB's in the NFL from USC, Oregon, Arizona etc etc (read Pac 12) than Cal WR's. Unless the author actually went back and pulled the names of DB's and looked at their current status all he's doing is pushing his opinion on us and selling it as a fact.