Here's The Problem I have With The Offense...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
I watched the "Coaches Film" on NFL Game Pass and I am convinced the Rams are not using Britt and Quick properly in my mind.

As I watched I see the plays consistently running these guys on mid to deep routes with the CBs often playing with a lot of cushion on Quick and often doubling Britt.

I think when you have two big strong WRs...(Britt is 6' 3" 223 and Quick is 6' 3" 218)...why are the Rams not calling some quick short 3-7 yard plays or even "bubble screens" and giving these guys a chance to make plays. In doing so you can set up the deeper routes? It's mind boggling

The Rams also *seem* to have no "sight adjust" in their pass packages where the QB and WRs can look at coverage and instantly decide to take what the offense gives.

I simply think Fiser needs to get with the OC and start calling plays that fit the WRs you have. Quick and Britt don't have blazing speed...but if you use them properly they can get open by HOW YOU USE THEM!!!

Does anyone hear me?

Then...what really puzzles me is the lack of use of Bailey. This stuff has to get fixed...but you can opnly fix it by playing to the strength of your WRs.

FRO

Legend
I agree with using the big bodied receivers on quick slants, pull the DBs in and try to take a shot or two deeper.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The concept makes sense but it is not working. Maybe Britt and Quick are not fast enough to stretch the field like that. Maybe Tavon should be trying more of the deep routes now and then.

Also there is nothing wrong with mixing things up and doing something different on some plays. It helps to confuse the D.

The fact that teams are not biting on any play action fakes tells you that they don't respect the receivers. Maybe they know the pass blocking wont hold up long enough for a typical deep route to develop. Or maybe it just isn't that hard to cover Britt and Quick. Throwing deep to Britt on the play right after the rookie, Desir, gets called for Pass Interference was great timing. Desir was probably thinking a bit and was laying off because of worry about the call the play before. It shouldn't take that kind of instance for Britt and Quick to get open though. Now in the past Britt and Quick were much more affective going over the middle on short and intermediate routes. They are being wasted. Even if it clogs the running lanes, it would be wise to actually have patterns/plays that take advantage of the skillset of the weapons that they have on the roster. With what they are trying to do, it is a shock that they traded Givens, because deep straight routes were his main play and he was fast enough to get deep.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The concept makes sense but it is not working. Maybe Britt and Quick are not fast enough to stretch the field like that. Maybe Tavon should be trying more of the deep routes now and then.

Also there is nothing wrong with mixing things up and doing something different on some plays. It helps to confuse the D.

The fact that teams are not biting on any play action fakes tells you that they don't respect the receivers. Maybe they know the pass blocking wont hold up long enough for a typical deep route to develop. Or maybe it just isn't that hard to cover Britt and Quick. Throwing deep to Britt on the play right after the rookie, Desir, gets called for Pass Interference was great timing. Desir was probably thinking a bit and was laying off because of worry about the call the play before. It shouldn't take that kind of instance for Britt and Quick to get open though. Now in the past Britt and Quick were much more affective going over the middle on short and intermediate routes. They are being wasted. Even if it clogs the running lanes, it would be wise to actually have patterns/plays that take advantage of the skillset of the weapons that they have on the roster. With what they are trying to do, it is a shock that they traded Givens, because deep straight routes were his main play and he was fast enough to get deep.
Actually I think Britt and Quick are fine running the deep routes they just have to throw them more and Foles have to give them a chance to catch the ball when they do that then they will have the quick slants open. The deep throws to Britt have been very successful having this big bodies running down the field can create 1.. pass interference 2. A catch and we saw that both with Britt. Foles just have to start giving them a chance to make a play on the ball instead of sailing the ball out of bounds or out of reach. Honestly the deep shots are perfect fit for our big receivers

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
You'd think both Quick and Britt would dominate on slant routes where they can use their big bodies to block the CB from getting a play on the ball.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
All I know is I expect to see a much better showing from the offense in the second half of the seaso than the first.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah you won't see any bubble screens with one WR, but like you said it's better not to get cute and play into their strength when they were the worst rush defense we faced. I personally like running two TE two wide out the best for moving the safeties out and spreading the field horizontally.

I really think we need to take more underneath stuff at first to spread the vertical routes. Between that and the drops is what has killed our passing game the most.