Here's hoping that the 'Madden Curse' is for real

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Richard Sherman on 'Madden' cover
By Terry Blount | ESPN.com

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, who garnered national attention with his postgame rant after winning the NFC championship in January, will be the cover athlete for the "Madden NFL 15" video game that hits shelves Aug. 15.

"Winning the cover is a kid's dream come true," Sherman said. "I would never be in the position without my fellow Legion of Boom members and teammates."

Sherman and Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton were the finalists in the online voting at ESPN.com. Sherman becomes the second Seahawks player to grace the cover. Running backShaun Alexander had the honor in 2007.

Sherman is only the third defensive player to make the cover, joining Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis in 2005 and Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu, who shared the 2010 cover with Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

At age 26, Sherman is starting his fourth NFL season out of Stanford. He is widely regarded as the best cornerback in the game and was selected to the past two Pro Bowls. Since entering the league in 2011, Sherman has more interceptions (20) and more passes defensed (60) than any other player.

Sherman also is known for his occasional controversial comments, including his postgame rant when the Seahawks defeated the 49ers 23-17 in the NFC Championship Game at CenturyLink Field.

After a game-saving deflection on a pass in the end zone intended for Michael Crabtree (which was intercepted by Seattle linebacker Malcolm Smith), Sherman was interviewed on the field on Fox.

"I'm the best corner in the game," Sherman said. "When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're going to get. Don't you ever talk about me."

When asked who he was talking about, he replied: "Crabtree. Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'll shut it for you real quick. L.O.B. [Legion of Boom]."

That moment brought lots of criticism nationally, with some people on Twitter and elsewhere calling Sherman a thug or a gangster. But Sherman turned the tables on his critics a few days later, writing a column and speaking at a news conference about the underlying racism of those critical comments.

He has since become a national celebrity who has garnered enormous respect. Sherman recently was named one of the "100 Most Influential People" by Time Magazine. He also was invited to the White House Correspondents' Dinner, where President Barack Obama did an imitation of Sherman's rant.

Sherman last month signed a contract extension with the Seahawks that will pay him $56 million over four years.

Some people believe becoming the cover athlete for the "Madden" video game carries a jinx. Since the game started featuring players on the cover in 2000, some of the winners experienced a bad year or injuries the season they appeared.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Guess who isn't buying Madden this year... This guy

RamsFan14

Starter
Deserves it, Seahawks really have things going there way... Hopefully that ends starting September 2014!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally I don't wish injury to any player but I wouldn't mind if his career and the fortunes of the Seahawks went downhill this season.
-----------------------------------------------------
Sherman not buying the 'Madden' curse
By Terry Blount | ESPN.com

It’s a nice honor to grace the "Madden 15" video game cover, but superstitious Seattle Seahawks fans who believe in the curse associated with the cover winner probably wish someone other than Richard Sherman had won.

Since players first starting appearing on the cover of the video game in 2000, a lot of bad things have happened to the man selected.

i

ShermanSherman isn’t buying it.

“I don’t believe in curses,” he said. “I believe in God.”

I’m not one to believe in a jinx or curse, either, but the evidence speaks for itself. Call it a strange coincidence or bad luck.

Barry Sanders surprisingly retired the year he was on the cover. Green Bay running back Dorsey Levens was added to later covers that year, but he injured a knee that season and played in only five games.

Minnesota quarterback Dante Culpepper suffered a season-ending injury after appearing on the cover.

Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick was the cover player for the 2004 version. Do I even need to explain this one?

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb mocked the curse the year he was on the cover, saying it “might be a trend, but I don’t believe in the curse at all.”

In the first game that season, McNabb suffered a hernia and groin pull, eventually having surgery that ended his season.

Heck, there is even a former Seahawks player associated with the so-called curse. Running back Shaun Alexander was on the cover the season after the Seahawks made their first Super Bowl appearance. Alexander broke his foot in the third game that year and missed six games.

Tennessee quarterback Vince Young was the next man on the cover, and went on to become one of the biggest first-round quarterback busts ever.

Quarterback Brett Favre was on the cover the year after he retired in Green Bay, but unretired to join the New York Jets, tore a biceps muscle and finished the season with only two touchdown passes and nine interceptions.

And how about Cleveland running back Peyton Hillis? The year after rushing for 1,177 yards, he made the cover, and frankly, has never been the same player. He never has come close to those numbers while playing for three teams since.

But let’s end with a positive note, namely Megatron. Detroit wide receiver Calvin Johnson was lights-out awesome after appearing on the "Madden" cover. He broke or tied nine NFL receiving records and led the NFL in receiving yards, surpassing Jerry Rice’s single-season mark.

Time will tell how Sherman fares, but it’s clear he isn’t worried about it.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'll never wish injury on an opposing player.

So I'm going to keep my mouth shut.
I don't wish injury on opponents or rivals. I did wish someone would have treated Michael Vick like he treated his dogs though.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I dont want him injured, I just want him to suck ass and look like a fool getting burned over and over again. That would be truly satisfying.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"I dont want him injured, I just want him to suck ass and look like a fool getting burned over and over again. That would be truly satisfying."

^This^

Sherman and Kaepernick are division opponents who stand in the way of my team the St. Louis Rams getting to the playoffs. Because of their obnoxious personalities they stick out from the rest of their teammates and therefore get more criticism.

While I have some admiration for the play of Richard Sherman, I have little for Kaepernick. I wish they were both on the Madden cover and I hope they both trip over their shoe laces, play terribly, and cost their teams many losses. If that makes me a bad guy that's tough. Let's examine the Madden Curse:

"Out of the 16 players featured, 14 have had bad years and received serious injuries. Really terrible injuries. It even ended the careers of a few of them. Of the two that escaped injuries during the season, Larry Fitzgerald and Drew Brees, one was injured in the first round of the playoffs while the other was on the receiving end of the biggest upset in NFL playoff history."

Let's remember that Calvin Johnson was on the cover last season and he had 84 catches for 1,492 yds with 12 TD's. Being on the cover didn't seem to hinder his career.

To check out each individual player who's been on the cover of the Madden game, click this link.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Sherman won't suck because he's on the cover of Madden. Sherman will suck because he just signed a huge contract. It always seem once guys get their big contracts their production drops, injuries occur, etc. Obviously, this is not the case for all, but I truly believe he cannot continue to get better. He has reached his limit and we will now see a steady decline in performance.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Why because hes arogant. long as he backs it up i have no problem. i do have a problem with Jenkins and Tru because they dont back it up

More because he's an asshole. There is no bigger prick than Dick Sherman in the entire NFL.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Here's to hoping his "curse" is the fact that he can't cover Britt, Tavon, BQ, Bailey, Cook or any other Rams receiver!! :)

SierraRam

Recreational User
Sherman is cashing in while he can. CB's that have long careers are the exception, not the rule. This over-hyped, Lesion of Boob member is due for a spectacular flame-out. Hopefully, it happens week 7 on a sweep right - Mr.Robinson's pancake block becomes an SI cover: "Gregzilla Destroys Seattle"