Here were our biggest positional questions pre camp, I think...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This might be a good thread for stimulating discussion as we wait for the Chief game.

And in no particular order, btw.

QB. Keenum or Goff to start? Can Mannion justify a roster spot? All 3 are looking good, so far. Maybe even quite a bit better than expected after 1 preseason game.

RB. Will Mason be missed? Cunningham, Brown, and Green have pretty much answered THAT question.

LOT. Is GRob gonna look like at least an average player there? Jury still out, but I'm encouraged by what I saw vs Cowboys.

C. Is there anyone decent behind Barnes? Well, Kush sure looked good there Saturday to me.

TE. Is Higbee the real deal or just a practice player? I think that question has been convincingly answered.

WR. Mixed bag here, so far. Love Spruce. Williams and McRoberts kinda flashed. Too little to go on with Quick, so far. Cooper and Thomas were both thuds.

DL. Almost too much talent, huh? Longacre and Westbrooks are making statements. Seau, too.

LB. I'm uneasy about Ogletree at MLB, despite Fisher's kind words. I need to be convinced, still. The backups didn't stand out or flash as we've seen players at other positions do, either.

CB. Sure hope Gaines is healthy and returns to his '14 form. Otherwise, it looks iffy to me. Joyner looks like a slot CB only. Sensabaugh disappointed me. I think Roberson is an okay backup. There have been flashes from J Washington, Hill, and Jordan. So our cupboard is not exactly bare.

S. Jury is still out, I think. If it's gonna be a TJM and Mo tandem, I would sure like to see some play that more reassures me. Maybe the D was just being deliberately vanilla to determine exactly what each player can and cannot yet do, as has been speculated?

Overall, pretty danged encouraging, don't you think?

My "jury out" list is a fairly short one, currently.

WR
LB (specifically Ogletree)
CB
S

And all 4 of those could possibly be cleared up as soon as the Chief game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper and Thomas were both thuds.

I think Coop was alright. That hit was his "welcome to the NFL rookie" moment but he was in the right spot and had hauled it in but for a very good defensive play. That plus a very nice return, and I'm not really disappointed with Coop. And remember, he was out a bit and dinged up and that can set a kid back a little, so I think his best preseason plays are ahead of him still.

The Chiefs are a very deep roster with a lot of talent and they're very well coached. IMO they represent a similar threat to our defense that Dallas did with their run game (6th in the league at 4.7 ypc), but they also have an extremely talented defense that only gave up 17.9 points per game last season (3rd in the league).

Our offense has their work cut out too. Here's their defense last year:

9th in the league passing yards allowed with 231.1 per game.
4th in the league in sacks with 47.
2nd in the league in QB rating against.
8th in the league in rushing yards allowed per game.
3rd in the league in scoring against.

This is a deep and talented defense. If Goff starts he's gonna be lining up against a far better defense than the ragtag bunch Dallas put out there. Hope the Rams take this one a little seriously to avoid being embarrassed at home, although historically the quality opponent is usually the one they show up for, so we'll see.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cooper and Thomas were both thuds.
Did you mean turds? LOLOL.....I actually like Thomas better than Cooper as a receiver...Don't know why, probably measurables, but I see a big future as a "X" receiver. I like Williams, Spruce & Tavon as slot receivers...And Yeah, for the slot, I like hands guys...tough guys...ready to take hits kinda guys. Cooper looks soft to me. Especially after I saw how Randolph knocked him out in college, and he's still bringing it up to people in camp. Something I saw in Gruden's camp show. He comes from marines, but isn't a soldier...

The backups didn't stand out or flash as we've seen players at other positions do, either.
Think Lynch & Hagar have been passed over as far as talent. Forrest looks like a keeper...And I have my eyes on Chubb & Littleton this next game.
Tree didn't have the best game...He did flash on one play, shot through to make a play in the backfield....but he was diving at the ankles...It may take a lil time to adjust to the traffic in there....

Joyner looks like a slot CB only. Sensabaugh disappointed me. I think Roberson is an okay backup.
My biggest worry...No it's not the receivers....It's the corners...without EJ healthy getting reps, there is major uncertainty on who mans the opposite corner of Tru...Greg Williams gave Sensabaugh & Joyner the first shot. Joyner is still Joyner to me, very weak in man to man coverage. Never plays the ball. Smallish, not very quick & slow....Yet they like playing him??? He's a decent tackler..meaning he's willing...but is he able???
Sensabaugh is new to me...Never stood out on another team. His signing is quite the surprise...well, I figured Fisher was finished raiding the Titan minor league team for Rams talent...besides Hayes & Britt, who do we have? The little film I've seen is, he's an excellent athlete, that can't seem to make a play. I was encouraged that they tried to put him on Dez...Figured that was Tru's job, but Williams is using camp to assess talent. Williams and Fish need to give Roberson a real look. Has he improved enough to start & thrive?
Hill is my darkhorse...He's made multiple plays in the Pac-12...Has great ball skills, nice feet. He only lacks physicality. He reminds me of Roberson. I think if given the chance this guy could be successful. Out of the corners, I'd try Hill, Sensabaugh, and Roberson...in that order in the Chiefs game...In the first half...Against Smith, then Foles...We should see someone rise to the occasion....

On a side note, I'd love to see Seau at Middle Line Backer...kinda has a motor like his uncle...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Did you mean turds? LOLOL.....I actually like Thomas better than Cooper as a receiver...Don't know why, probably measurables, but I see a big future as a "X" receiver. I like Williams, Spruce & Tavon as slot receivers...And Yeah, for the slot, I like hands guys...tough guys...ready to take hits kinda guys. Cooper looks soft to me. Especially after I saw how Randolph knocked him out in college, and he's still bringing it up to people in camp. Something I saw in Gruden's camp show. He comes from marines, but isn't a soldier...

Think Lynch & Hagar have been passed over as far as talent. Forrest looks like a keeper...And I have my eyes on Chubb & Littleton this next game.
Tree didn't have the best game...He did flash on one play, shot through to make a play in the backfield....but he was diving at the ankles...It may take a lil time to adjust to the traffic in there....

My biggest worry...No it's not the receivers....It's the corners...without EJ healthy getting reps, there is major uncertainty on who mans the opposite corner of Tru...Greg Williams gave Sensabaugh & Joyner the first shot. Joyner is still Joyner to me, very weak in man to man coverage. Never plays the ball. Smallish, not very quick & slow....Yet they like playing him??? He's a decent tackler..meaning he's willing...but is he able???
Sensabaugh is new to me...Never stood out on another team. His signing is quite the surprise...well, I figured Fisher was finished raiding the Titan minor league team for Rams talent...besides Hayes & Britt, who do we have? The little film I've seen is, he's an excellent athlete, that can't seem to make a play. I was encouraged that they tried to put him on Dez...Figured that was Tru's job, but Williams is using camp to assess talent. Williams and Fish need to give Roberson a real look. Has he improved enough to start & thrive?
Hill is my darkhorse...He's made multiple plays in the Pac-12...Has great ball skills, nice feet. He only lacks physicality. He reminds me of Roberson. I think if given the chance this guy could be successful. Out of the corners, I'd try Hill, Sensabaugh, and Roberson...in that order in the Chiefs game...In the first half...Against Smith, then Foles...We should see someone rise to the occasion....

On a side note, I'd love to see Seau at Middle Line Backer...kinda has a motor like his uncle...
Hey LACHAMP46 if the Rams defense had an ounce of outside pass rush between Hayes & Sims the corners IMO will not be as bad as we tend to think right now. That's where I am pointing the finger;). As the pre season goes on Gregg must find outside pass rushers (excluding the rehabbing Quinn) to turn the heat down on that secondary that seems to be torchable. Lets kick Sims & Hayes out & see if Seau, Longacre & Westbrooks can get some pressure with the other 9 regular #1 defense.....I thinking that our two 30 plus DE's have got slow & slower the last two seasons & may be best for back up action this season at best especially Sims.

As far as Ogletree.....I am thinking its going to take some time to get these three new LB'ers starting unit of the Rams working tight. Even though we look @ this LB'ing cadre as being veteran Rams who have been here now for over several seasons as starters....truth is they have never started together in this set up. This is Barron's first pre season in Alec's old WSLB'er post as a starter. Tree's under the flame gun here & part timer Ayers is just that part time. So from opening season last season till now we have 2/3 new elements. I am not worried here as time goes they will get better.

I also have to remind myself with our secondary unit 3/4's of the starters are different from last season opening regular line up.Gregg has 3 different starters in new positions. Once again it will take some time to mesh together. The big issue I see with this DB unit is its SHORT lacks any length. The taller wide outs are going to hurt us if we can not get pressure on the QB. We see a near 6-3 tall new new deep safety that could help out greatly in the passing defense if he will get his head into this.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And all 4 of those could possibly be cleared up as soon as the Chief game.
I have a "Gut Feeling" we're going to see a lot of improvement in the KC game over the Cow-Pie game! I don't think our "D" is going to be so Vanilla, which will have a Trickle-Down effect on our "O"!