Here is an interesting article from the Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that McVay attempted to give Goff more responsibility in 2019 and had to change the offense later in the year. Then he changed it again in 2020 to allow Goff to thrive.

Definitely don't think the system held Goff back.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn't Kupp come of the field quite a bit in 12 personnel? That might explain that part. Either way, I've been watching some of these games in All 22 and Goff has missed opportunities to go down field looking at Kupp.

Ive seen that also, and @Merlin has pointed some of that out on All 22 clips. Goff has missed seeing open receivers. His college scouting report form one scout was that when pressured he became a one read QB. He stared down Kupp especially on third down.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Ive seen that also, and @Merlin has pointed some of that out on All 22 clips. Goff has missed seeing open receivers. His college scouting report form one scout was that when pressured he became a one read QB. He stared down Kupp especially on third down.
And by stared down, you mean from pre snap, to snap, to throw to Kupp, his eyes never left him. Was so maddening. You always know where the ball was going.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And by stared down, you mean from pre snap, to snap, to throw to Kupp, his eyes never left him. Was so maddening. You always know where the ball was going.

Which begs... how good is Kupp when everyone including the casual fan on tv knows the ball is going to him on 3rd and long?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Which begs... how good is Kupp when everyone including the casual fan on tv knows the ball is going to him on 3rd and long?
Kupp when healthy is damn good, so is Woods. I haven't seen the all 22 videos, but it makes you wonder if there were more throws downfield available but he never saw them or looked that way.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I've been saying it has been McVay retarding Goff's development for a long time. But it's not the scheme that is the problem. It was Sean's need to micromanage each play. He was in Goff's ear up until the last 15 seconds between each play essentially making the defensive reads. By the time the play is called and they get to the LS there is no time for Goff to really make proper reads. Many times he only had time to simply go with McVay's reads or they got a delay of game when he realized McVay was wrong and tried to read it himself with not enough time to do so.

McVay never really trusted Goff from day one then is surprised when he didn't develop? Give me a freaking break. I think this trade will benefit both sides. Holmes understands the need to build a decent o-line in front of Jared and I think he will do just that. Once he gets that o-line watch out because IMO Goff could very well become the franchise QB everyone envisioned.

McVay conversely won't feel the necessity to coddle Stafford who wouldn't accept it anyway. They already have a good relationship and IMO this offense will change in many important ways. The vertical game will return. Developing an inside power run attack will hold those LBs and make that play-action more effective.

I think this is going to go down as ultimately a WIN=WIN for both teams. The Lions simply need to be patient with Goff until they build the team around him. With Holmes and Ray Agnew both key former Rams their turn around could be dramatic.

According to this guy, McVay was waiting for Goff to assume command, to tell McVay to back the F off, and it didn’t happen. If you’re gonna go to the next level you need your qb to go outside the play design to make something happen. But I think the turnovers were a big part of it, many of Goff’s were just terrible and if you’re still making dumb throws at this stage it might not be fixable. But nobody wants to admit you’ve got a guy who’s good not great. Cousins and Carr are good but nobody expects them to be in the SB.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I was thinking about the retarding off Goff with McVay micromanaging too and some of that could have been possible.

I don't know how many of you had time to watch Lions press conferences on Youtube for new HC Dan Campbell and new GM Brad Holmes.

Both were pretty interesting. Holmes was talking about what he learned under Snead but that's not what I was getting at in this post.

Dan Campbell sounds and talks like a short haired version of the dude. He leaned a lot under Sean "assface" Peyton. But here's the part I found interesting. He was talking about Peyton's philosophy and though we know him as a jerk he seems spectacular in Campbell's eyes. The one thing that got me thinking was Campbell mentioned that Peyton can deal with a talented consistent player (can't we all), but on a player who had the talent but was up and down a lot he mentioned that Peyton said "I can't do anything for them." Made me think of McVay's situation the last couple years.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Speaking of "crutches" .. I was going to make a separate post about this.

McVay being in Goff's ear "reading the defense" until the mic is cut off... I can't remember hearing that a coach did that consistently for more veteran QBs. In fact I can't remember hearing it about QBs at all. It seemed like McVay doing that for Goff was out of some sort of necessity ....that Jared wasn't great at reading defenses, so McVay needed to do that for him.

does anyone know if that was the norm with other QBs? Can never remember hearing about a play calling that much in the QBs ear ear all the way through the cut off time on the play clock..with that being the norm.

Bearrister

Rookie
Speaking of "crutches" .. I was going to make a separate post about this.

McVay being in Goff's ear "reading the defense" until the mic is cut off... I can't remember hearing that a coach did that consistently for more veteran QBs. In fact I can't remember hearing it about QBs at all. It seemed like McVay doing that for Goff was out of some sort of necessity ....that Jared wasn't great at reading defenses, so McVay needed to do that for him.

does anyone know if that was the norm with other QBs? Can never remember hearing about a play calling that much in the QBs ear ear all the way through the cut off time on the play clock..with that being the norm.

Bruce Arians (then with the Cardinals) said it was far from the first time a coach did that with their QB. I think the main difference with the Rams is that they would hurry to the line of scrimmage to maximize the time that McVay could communicate with Goff.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
At this point why even bother with “petty details” Goff was very good with a decent line and Gurley, without, like many a drop back passer before him, he all of a sudden “regressed”

whatever

But anyone here believing this Rams O line is/was even remotely close to adequate this year in pass pro (sorry PFF, take your 3rd overall rating and laughable 2.5 “drop back...errh roll out run for your life“ BS and stick it in your daddy bag) clearly either is football IQ challenged or simply did not watch the games

Just my opinions

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Bruce Arians (then with the Cardinals) said it was far from the first time a coach did that with their QB. I think the main difference with the Rams is that they would hurry to the line of scrimmage to maximize the time that McVay could communicate with Goff.

I remember that. That's really what made me kind of forget about it. It wasn't until last year, and then this season that I started to noticed McVay looking frustrated that I thought back to it ..... Like I know Jared wouldn't be the first QB..but the degree to which McVay was reading defenses for Goff...and the frequency of it... Now that we've moved on...I'm super curious as to whether the AMOUNT of support he was giving Jared with that was because of shortcomings with Jared reading defenses.

another thing I remember is that I watched Jon Gruden sit down at the white board with with Jared and Wentz before the draft and there was something about Jared's white board acumen that I didn't like.... I wanted us to pick Wentz honestly after that.