Hendo!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Henderson flashed last year and I saw enough to know he was legit and would be a very good RB. I understood, however, the rationale for taking Akers and agree with it. They will provide a good rotation with both with similar skill sets so the offense doesn't change. I have always meant it when I said the Rams now have a two-headed monster at RB. A strong run attack is crucial to the success of this offense.

What I would like to see is the addition of a true FB next year so that O'Connell can use a power run game. They can use Mundt in that role now and don't understand why they don't. If McVay wants to still use his 11 personnel he can align one of his TE's as an H-back. The defense won't know if he's going to be a lead blocker on an inside run, stay in to pass protect or release into a pattern.

Against the Bears, it's imperative that the Rams run the ball.

There's no reason for us to add a FB unless we're getting a guy like Juszczyk, who is a weapon in the passing game (basically an undersized TE who can block). McVay sure doesn't seem to like 21 personnel all that much. He's still the guy who designs and calls the offense.

Why don't they use Mundt in that role? Why would they? They're running plenty effectively without a FB, and putting Mundt on the field means taking a better receiving talent off of it.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I actually questioned picking Akers in the draft, because we had taken Henderson early last year. I knew he was going to be good.
I didn't question the Akers pick, but I couldn't understand why everyone in the media were
writing Hendo off. I was pretty sure he would break out this year.
My son can attest to this- As soon as they picked Akers I belted out
"Two-Headed Monster!"
No one back can carry the load McVay wants out of his running game.
Bringing in the second back without a drop-off is exactly what the doctor ordered.
Once Akers gets back and going it is going to be a beautiful sight.
If Mcvay decides a 40 rush att. game is what he wants, he can do it without
worries of wearing a back down.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Why don't they use Mundt in that role? Why would they? They're running plenty effectively without a FB, and putting Mundt on the field means taking a better receiving talent off of it.
You make a good point. The improvement in the line did hurt his value a bit, given that it's mainly tied up in his blocking ability.

IMO as soon as Jefferson replaces Reynolds we're going to transition back to more 11 sets though anyway. Simply because Jefferson will be > Everett in the pattern and because that line looks capable of getting it done. So from there Everett will get snaps when someone needs to come out, or when they want to mash the ball a bit on the ground. IMO those snaps where you want to mash on the ground is where Mundt factors in most.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Henderson needs way more runs. His underlying numbers and analytics are eye-popping right now, even if they are from a somewhat small sample size. Keep feeding him until teams prove they can stop it. He has great burst and runs hard, which we all knew from his draft profiles. But I've been very surprised with his vision, patience hitting the hole when necessary, and in particular his ability to break tackles given that he runs pretty "upright" for a back of his height.

My biggest fear is that if we try and turn Henderson into a bell cow, his effectiveness would plummet, along with his health and availability. I am not convinced Hendo is physically built to take on the number of snaps Gurley did. A two (or three) headed monster at RB is probably the perfect approach and compliment to the abilities of aptitudes of Hendo and Akers. But Henderson should certainly be able to take a very large share of snaps for only a week, or two, or three.... or however long it takes for Akers' ribs to be a 100%. I'd like to see that until Akers is ready, if he isn't ready come Monday.
What I don't get is SM;s usage of a RBBC. He doesn't mix them in well, IMHO. He plays them in "blocks". By that I mean they come in and play for periods of action, then the next guy, etc. It seems almost like each guy gets one Qrt. of action. I think he should be rotating them more often. Like every few plays. Make their usage not some "predictable" as to what you re going to do. I also think it would keep each guy fresh, yet into the flow of the game.
And why does he never use 21, 22 formations? IMHO, McVay could really open up his offense if he used more personnel groupings. His mentors all did/do.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I don't get is SM;s usage of a RBBC. He doesn't mix them in well, IMHO. He plays them in "blocks". By that I mean they come in and play for periods of action, then the next guy, etc. It seems almost like each guy gets one Qrt. of action. I think he should be rotating them more often. Like every few plays. Make their usage not some "predictable" as to what you re going to do. I also think it would keep each guy fresh, yet into the flow of the game.
And why does he never use 21, 22 formations? IMHO, McVay could really open up his offense if he used more personnel groupings. His mentors all did/do.
I did get the distinct impression from a couple of her tweets that the players in certain plays/drives is more dictated by the position coach than by McVay. Coach will say what formation/grouping he wants and assistant coaches Brown, Phillips and Yarber will rotate in and out players in their group as they feel. Now I'm sure Sean will go to them and discuss who he thinks is hot or will work better on certain plays and that they'll work on it during the week. But I get the impression that which RB or WR/TE is out there is largely up to the coaches. Of course WR and TE are an easier choice for sure.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I did get the distinct impression from a couple of her tweets that the players in certain plays/drives is more dictated by the position coach than by McVay. Coach will say what formation/grouping he wants and assistant coaches Brown, Phillips and Yarber will rotate in and out players in their group as they feel. Now I'm sure Sean will go to them and discuss who he thinks is hot or will work better on certain plays and that they'll work on it during the week. But I get the impression that which RB or WR/TE is out there is largely up to the coaches. Of course WR and TE are an easier choice for sure.
Well, I still don't like how they handle the "rotation". I would rather see guys getting more of a mixture. As has been the case since the latter part of 2018, SM seems to fall in love with certain players/groupings/play schemes. IMHO, it's why good DC's have been able to adjust to what he is doing and then start taking it away. He needs to grow IMO. He has the talent at every position to do anything an offense can do. But it seems to me that every game, he only uses about 1/3 of his options.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Hendo was close to breaking a big one a couple times and got tripped up by the ankle in the whiner game. Maybe McVay outsmarted himself cuz he never really got back to it til they were behind. The 9ers weakness was supposed to be their secondary but they played pretty well, that and the uncharacteristic drops and Goff’s inaccuracy seemed like a great time to run it 35 times

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I wonder if MB's nursing an injury or something. He hasn't been the same since the Cowboys game.

Also I wonder if Akers' ribs are still aking.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You KNOW I ain’t like most POSTERS!!

Seriously upset!!! Not my protocol.

What I will say is IHAVE BEEN SUPPURTIVE of the O”LINE!!

For ALL THOSE against okay.

My BIGGEST POINT is about playcalling & how good Haecensyis securing the edge even on a fake. Why not let

HENDO LOOSE ??

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I'll hold my hands up and say that I don't follow college football, therefore, I'm not familiar with most of the players coming through.
A lot raved about him last season, yet I wasn't impressed.

I'm a believer now though.
The kid hits hard.
I hope we continue with Brown and Hendo, and Akers in rotation.
It's working.