Helmet cam could be coming to NFL games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Helmet cam could be coming to NFL games
Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2014

As the NFL moves toward using drones to enhance the images generated by football games, an old-school technology (relatively speaking) could be taking fans into the huddle — and elsewhere on the gridiron.

Nearly a quarter century after the World League of American Football used a camera tucked into the padding of a helmet to display in-game images, the NFL could eventually be using the SchuttVision system, with a camera between the facemask screws at the hairline of the helmet, during games.

“This is something that networks want in their broadcasts,” product inventor JR Liverman told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I don’t have a crystal ball in knowing when that will happen. I absolutely believe that this will be integrated into the broadcasts on all levels of football over the next years.”

The Arena Football League began using the SchuttVision helmet this season, and teams at lower levels of the sport previously implemented helmet cameras for practice sessions. The Steelers have become the first NFL team to adopt SchuttVision for training purposes, and others surely will follow suit. (The Bears added their own camera to the side of a quarterback’s helmet last year.)

It seems to be only a matter of time before the cameras blanketing the field will be complemented by cameras in the field, with that footage eventually becoming the source of evidence to overturn, or to uphold, key calls.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Ive thrown this concept out there before figured it was only a matter of the time. I could see them charging like a paperview price to watch an entire game through a players view.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
They tried this with F1, didn't work that well. A camera can't compensate for the amount if shaking and jerking that goes on when compared to the human eye. the camera will never really be stable enough for a clear and precise view compared to a drone or stationary camera

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They tried this with F1, didn't work that well. A camera can't compensate for the amount if shaking and jerking that goes on when compared to the human eye. the camera will never really be stable enough for a clear and precise view compared to a drone or stationary camera

It also doesn't give you a first person view, the "vision" of the camera is very limited compared to a human eye.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think it could be cool just to incorporate into certain parts of a broadcast but not watching the majority of the game that way. Looking from the perspective of Peyton Manning on his presnap reads would be an awesome feature.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think pov only works when peripheral vision isn't required. I'd give a few links on examples of how pov vision works well but I don't want to get banned from this site.