Hekker to the pro bowl as the most dominant punter ever?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/25/johnny-hekker-rams-pro-bowl-punter-nfl

Sunday’s Pro Bowl will feature dozens of NFL players who stood out from their peers this season – but nobody was as dominant at their position as Los Angeles Rams punter Johnny Hekker.

How dominant? The stats tell the story:

• In 2016, Hekker landed an NFL-record 51 of his punts inside the 20. No other punter even had 40 such kicks.

• He launched 98 punts this season, and only one crossed the goal line for a touchback. None of the 27 other punters with at least 50 punts had fewer than two touchbacks.

His net average was 46.0 yards. No other punter averaged 45.0 net yards per punt, and only one had an average above 42.7.

Opponents gained an average of 1.55 yards on returns on all of Hekker’s punts. No other punter had an opponent return average below 1.82.

It was a brilliant campaign even by the high standards of the 26-year-old Hekker, who earned his third Pro Bowl selection in five NFL seasons. Not bad for a former high school quarterback who walked on at Oregon State hoping to compete for a role under center. The coaching staff instead asked Hekker to give punting a shot, promising him a scholarship if he could win the job.

An 18-year-old Hekker spent the summer before his freshman year working with a kicking coach in Alabama. “I was terrible,” he recalled. “But I was never really satisfied and always wanted to find ways to get better.”

Better he got.

Hekker earned the punting gig with the Beavers and saw his average increase from 39.7 in 2008 to 40.1 in 2009 to 41.7 in 2010 to 44.0 in 2011. The Rams – then, of course, in St Louis – took notice and signed him as an undrafted free agent, and his average continued to rise in each of his first four NFL seasons, from 45.8 to 46.3 to 46.5 to 47.9.

Hekker’s average actually dropped this season for the first time in his nine years as a punter (by one tenth of a yard), but he more than made up for that by setting that new record for punts inside the 20.

“His rookie year, maybe five out of 10 punts he hit a really nice ball,” said John Fassel, who has served as Hekker’s special teams coordinator for each of his five NFL seasons. “Then the next year it’d be seven out of 10 punts, and then eight. And now he’s hitting nine out of 10 punts pretty darn good.”

It’s enough to cause you to wonder if Hekker still has room to improve. After all, he still had that one touchback serving as a blemish on his 2016 record. And like any great athlete, he dwelled on it.

“It was my fault,” said Hekker. “We were at the 40, and Coach Fassel asked me if we wanted to take a delay-of-game to give me more room. I said no, and I realize now that I should have taken those yards. I was pretty upset, but the world keeps turning.”

In Hekker’s defence, the tape shows he gave his gunners a chance when the ball landed just inside the five-yard line, but they couldn’t touch it down before it took a hard bounce into the end zone.

That error aside, Hekker has practically mastered the craft. When coming in to punt near midfield in the past few seasons, he’s done something like this almost every single time.

And when he’s forced to go to work from deeper in his own territory, that’s OK, too. Those are the times Hekker gets to unleash. He’s had 30 60-yard punts in his career, including a personal-best 78-yarder this season against the New York Jets.

He practically kicked it the length of the field.

What differentiates Hekker from his fellow punters?According to Fassel, who has spent the majority of his 16-year coaching career running special teams units, Hekker is a rare bird in that he is the clear-cut special teams leader in Los Angeles.

“Punters are usually off to the side and kind of unknown” said Fassel. “But Johnny is the opposite of that. He’s front and center, hard-working, vocal and encouraging. There’s not many guys at his position who are like that.”

That probably stems from Hekker’s days as a quarterback and an elite varsity basketball player. And the very fact he excelled at other sports and in other positions goes to show that he’s not just some guy with a freakish leg. He’s a freakish athlete who has found a niche.

Fassel says one technical thing that makes Hekker special is “his ability as an athlete to get better faster, and to pick up new techniques and implement them into a game. He is as athletic a punter as I’ve seen – I probably shouldn’t say in the history of the NFL – but as far as punters who are athletes, he’s in the 99th percentile.”

Fassel says Hekker has also developed “three or four other special types of punts that have made him unique,” even if they can’t be deciphered by the naked eye.

Hekker explains: “It’s really just about timing [and] how the ball comes out of your hands and how it moves in the air. If it’s not moving at all – a still drop – then you’ve really got a good chance. You really can tell when you connect on a good one. It feels good coming off the foot. You don’t want to peek too early – I’m a guy who keeps my head down through the follow-through – but there are some balls where I just can’t wait to take a look and see how it’s flying.”

Unsurprisingly, he makes a nuanced and difficult task sound simple. It’s clear, though, that acquiring and improving muscle memory is the key to his success.

Hekker found a thing he’s better at doing than anyone else in the world, and then he put in the time – in Alabama, in Oregon, in St Louis and in Los Angeles.

That’s earned him plaudits from some of the most respected men in the game. Sure, Fassel spoke glowingly of him and former Rams head coach Jeff Fisher was semi-ridiculed for heaping praise on his “record-setting” punt team when there wasn’t a lot else to laud, but New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, with no skin in the game, offered up these words:

“This guy is a weapon. “I mean, he’s not a good player. He’s a weapon.”

Hekker admitted: “It’s hard to ignore. I definitely appreciate his kind words and it makes me feel good on some level, but I gotta remain humble because I’m not the whole picture here – I’m a small piece.”

That may be true – no punter is a big piece – but there’s plenty of evidence that Hekker is the biggest small piece in football. And while he never fulfilled his dream of becoming a professional quarterback, Hekker has still thrown 12 passes off fakes and broken plays in his five NFL seasons. That’s twice as many as any active punter in football. He’s completed seven of those throws and if qualified would have the highest passer rating (114.2) in NFL history.

Hekker’s leg got him here, but don’t be surprised if he gets a chance to show off that arm – and that athleticism – on Sunday in Orlando. Small piece Johnny Hekker could become a big piece at the Pro Bowl.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He ain't to shabby!

Loved it when he knocked over one of the Seahawks, gave me a good laugh.

Psycho_X

Legend
I truly never thought I'd ever think of a punter as an integral part of a football team nor one of my favorite players but Hekker is amazing. Both as a football player and a person. Possibly watching the career of the best of all time if he keeps up the success he's had so far. You know Wade Phillips and McVay are salivating at always having field position in their favor.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Hekker is definitely the best ever punter. Hall of Famer Ray Guy doesn't have stats that compare to Johnny's. It's not often you pick up an undrafted free agent that becomes the best player who ever played their position.

jap

Legend
Hekker is definitely the best ever punter. Hall of Famer Ray Guy doesn't have stats that compare to Johnny's. It's not often you pick up an undrafted free agent that becomes the best player who ever played their position.

Ray was very special. At a time when most punters were UFA's, he was drafted by Oakland. Up to that point, I never saw a punter who had Ray's conditioning & athleticism. He is the first punter that got me interested in punting statistics. Comparing him to other players, I discovered the brilliance of Slingin' Sammy Baugh, the guy who was the best punter, QB, and one of the best DB's simultaneously in his era. Just as Ray became a living legend during his playing days as the outright best of his time, so is Johnny reaping similar praise as being the runaway best of his time.

Ram65

Legend
Johnny always gets his deserved props from me!!!! Didn't know he started punting after high school. It's amazing that he kept improving every year. Too bad he had on go into the end zone or it would have been the perfect punting season. There is always next year.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
If Hekker's career continues to be this dominant, I know he'll make the HOF.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/25/johnny-hekker-rams-pro-bowl-punter-nfl

Sunday’s Pro Bowl will feature dozens of NFL players who stood out from their peers this season – but nobody was as dominant at their position as Los Angeles Rams punter Johnny Hekker.

How dominant? The stats tell the story:

• In 2016, Hekker landed an NFL-record 51 of his punts inside the 20. No other punter even had 40 such kicks.

• He launched 98 punts this season, and only one crossed the goal line for a touchback. None of the 27 other punters with at least 50 punts had fewer than two touchbacks.

His net average was 46.0 yards. No other punter averaged 45.0 net yards per punt, and only one had an average above 42.7.

Opponents gained an average of 1.55 yards on returns on all of Hekker’s punts. No other punter had an opponent return average below 1.82.

It was a brilliant campaign even by the high standards of the 26-year-old Hekker, who earned his third Pro Bowl selection in five NFL seasons. Not bad for a former high school quarterback who walked on at Oregon State hoping to compete for a role under center. The coaching staff instead asked Hekker to give punting a shot, promising him a scholarship if he could win the job.

An 18-year-old Hekker spent the summer before his freshman year working with a kicking coach in Alabama. “I was terrible,” he recalled. “But I was never really satisfied and always wanted to find ways to get better.”

Better he got.

Hekker earned the punting gig with the Beavers and saw his average increase from 39.7 in 2008 to 40.1 in 2009 to 41.7 in 2010 to 44.0 in 2011. The Rams – then, of course, in St Louis – took notice and signed him as an undrafted free agent, and his average continued to rise in each of his first four NFL seasons, from 45.8 to 46.3 to 46.5 to 47.9.

Hekker’s average actually dropped this season for the first time in his nine years as a punter (by one tenth of a yard), but he more than made up for that by setting that new record for punts inside the 20.

“His rookie year, maybe five out of 10 punts he hit a really nice ball,” said John Fassel, who has served as Hekker’s special teams coordinator for each of his five NFL seasons. “Then the next year it’d be seven out of 10 punts, and then eight. And now he’s hitting nine out of 10 punts pretty darn good.”

It’s enough to cause you to wonder if Hekker still has room to improve. After all, he still had that one touchback serving as a blemish on his 2016 record. And like any great athlete, he dwelled on it.

“It was my fault,” said Hekker. “We were at the 40, and Coach Fassel asked me if we wanted to take a delay-of-game to give me more room. I said no, and I realize now that I should have taken those yards. I was pretty upset, but the world keeps turning.”

In Hekker’s defence, the tape shows he gave his gunners a chance when the ball landed just inside the five-yard line, but they couldn’t touch it down before it took a hard bounce into the end zone.

That error aside, Hekker has practically mastered the craft. When coming in to punt near midfield in the past few seasons, he’s done something like this almost every single time.

And when he’s forced to go to work from deeper in his own territory, that’s OK, too. Those are the times Hekker gets to unleash. He’s had 30 60-yard punts in his career, including a personal-best 78-yarder this season against the New York Jets.

He practically kicked it the length of the field.

What differentiates Hekker from his fellow punters?According to Fassel, who has spent the majority of his 16-year coaching career running special teams units, Hekker is a rare bird in that he is the clear-cut special teams leader in Los Angeles.

“Punters are usually off to the side and kind of unknown” said Fassel. “But Johnny is the opposite of that. He’s front and center, hard-working, vocal and encouraging. There’s not many guys at his position who are like that.”

That probably stems from Hekker’s days as a quarterback and an elite varsity basketball player. And the very fact he excelled at other sports and in other positions goes to show that he’s not just some guy with a freakish leg. He’s a freakish athlete who has found a niche.

Fassel says one technical thing that makes Hekker special is “his ability as an athlete to get better faster, and to pick up new techniques and implement them into a game. He is as athletic a punter as I’ve seen – I probably shouldn’t say in the history of the NFL – but as far as punters who are athletes, he’s in the 99th percentile.”

Fassel says Hekker has also developed “three or four other special types of punts that have made him unique,” even if they can’t be deciphered by the naked eye.

Hekker explains: “It’s really just about timing [and] how the ball comes out of your hands and how it moves in the air. If it’s not moving at all – a still drop – then you’ve really got a good chance. You really can tell when you connect on a good one. It feels good coming off the foot. You don’t want to peek too early – I’m a guy who keeps my head down through the follow-through – but there are some balls where I just can’t wait to take a look and see how it’s flying.”

Unsurprisingly, he makes a nuanced and difficult task sound simple. It’s clear, though, that acquiring and improving muscle memory is the key to his success.

Hekker found a thing he’s better at doing than anyone else in the world, and then he put in the time – in Alabama, in Oregon, in St Louis and in Los Angeles.

That’s earned him plaudits from some of the most respected men in the game. Sure, Fassel spoke glowingly of him and former Rams head coach Jeff Fisher was semi-ridiculed for heaping praise on his “record-setting” punt team when there wasn’t a lot else to laud, but New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, with no skin in the game, offered up these words:

“This guy is a weapon. “I mean, he’s not a good player. He’s a weapon.”

Hekker admitted: “It’s hard to ignore. I definitely appreciate his kind words and it makes me feel good on some level, but I gotta remain humble because I’m not the whole picture here – I’m a small piece.”

That may be true – no punter is a big piece – but there’s plenty of evidence that Hekker is the biggest small piece in football. And while he never fulfilled his dream of becoming a professional quarterback, Hekker has still thrown 12 passes off fakes and broken plays in his five NFL seasons. That’s twice as many as any active punter in football. He’s completed seven of those throws and if qualified would have the highest passer rating (114.2) in NFL history.

Hekker’s leg got him here, but don’t be surprised if he gets a chance to show off that arm – and that athleticism – on Sunday in Orlando. Small piece Johnny Hekker could become a big piece at the Pro Bowl.
Hekker9.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He loves Pokemon. That alone gets makes him my favorites.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hekker had the best punting year in NFL history this year. And it wasn't close. He shattered multiple records. Belichick is right. He's a weapon. When I watch any other team, I think their Punter sucks because he simply doesn't come close to Johnny.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The Rams certainly give him every opportunity to master the art of punting

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love me some Hekker, but you forget it's not just about the stats with Ray Guy...Guy would kick a 41 yard punt that by God almost bounce off the Astrodome's roof in Houston.

Here are some memories from Ray Guy about playing the Eagles in the Super Bowl:
"
I told one of the Superdome people, 'I hope you're not going to leave that thing where it is for the game.' And I was told, 'Don't worry, it's out of play, no one's going to hit it"

At the time, Guy was holding four footballs.

"Watch this," he said.

One after another, he punted four footballs that bounced off the replay screen.

"When we returned for the game, they had hoisted that gondola up near the roof. It was definitely out of play."

He had a 5 SECOND HANG TIME....think about that....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogdeHzBi4YM

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I watch any other team, I think their Punter sucks because he simply doesn't come close to Johnny.

I've thought this same thing many times.

Man among boys. It's something else.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Belicheck was right. An absolute weapon you can build a gameplan around. Pity it didn't work because our offense was so inept they couldn't convert the field position game into more points.

jap

Legend
The Rams certainly give him every opportunity to master the art of punting

Keep in mind that Johnny is working in conjunction with his ST coach, John Fassel. Fassel wanted Johnny angling kicks toward the sidelines in order to "corner" opposing returners, employing the sidelines as additional Horns ST "defenders." He also planned for Johnny to maintain a long enough hang time so that the Horns' coverage team arrived just as the opposing returner was getting the ball, forcing many fair catches and short runbacks. Fassel also tends to scheme to have his coverage teams clogging as many lanes as possible to minimize lengthy returns, thereby keeping Johnny's net punting average relatively close to his already impressive gross punting average.

However, they have really specialized in getting the rock inside the opponents' 20-yard-line in order give the opposing offense as difficult a time as possible. There are only so many plays OC's tend to be willing to call when they are backed up that deep on the gridiron. So Fassel and Johnny effectively work to limit the opposing offense's playbook.