Heavy formation for EVERY run...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
...needs to stop. Mix it up. Split 3 wide and give it to Gurley out of the shotgun every once in a while. Try a power toss, let the big man get some momentum going. We're telegraphing our runs every time. We HAVE to find a way to unstack the box.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have to do something different. Gurley is the same talented guy as last year, but they have like 20 guys in the box..We need someone to stretch the field (hello Goff?)

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Love the fact that Boras got Britt, Kendricks, and particularly Austin going on longer routes today.

That said, the jet sweep to Austin is so hard to defend that I think they should run it at least ten to twelve times a game.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Love the fact that Boras got Britt, Kendricks, and particularly Austin going on longer routes today.

That said, the jet sweep to Austin is so hard to defend that I think they should run it at least ten to twelve times a game.

And fake it when they don't run it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This offense is not going to be able to spread out a defense and run against a favorable box until they get better QB play.

Kendricks is really emerging as a weapon. Case tends to be late to him for some reason, if they can get that fixed he's going to be a weekly productive player because he just looks like he's got it figured out.

IMO with Higbee just stick him in the slot and run him on slants and sluggos. Looking at last game they had him inside too much, trying to make the guy an inline blocker. Quit that $h!t Boras, use the dude for what he's good at: catching the ball in the pattern.

But again, this offense is in "wait for our QB mode" right now. They are not going to take steps forward that they can count on, i.e. being able to score points week to week, until they get better play at the position.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
...needs to stop. Mix it up. Split 3 wide and give it to Gurley out of the shotgun every once in a while. Try a power toss, let the big man get some momentum going. We're telegraphing our runs every time. We HAVE to find a way to unstack the box.

This. Multiplied by 1000.

I keep thinking "man I'd love to see Todd really hit the hole with conviction - like really smash the hole" - but there isn't any room because they're selling out on it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Some of Gurley's biggest runs have come out of heavy sets with defenses stacking the box. Once you get through that first line of defense, it's one-on-one with a safety or linebacker. One miss and it's to the house. Sure they can mix it up a little and run out of spread sets, but let's not pretend that it's impossible to get big gains out of out the jumbo.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Some of Gurley's biggest runs have come out of heavy sets with defenses stacking the box. Once you get through that first line of defense, it's one-on-one with a safety or linebacker. One miss and it's to the house. Sure they can mix it up a little and run out of spread sets, but let's not pretend that it's impossible to get big gains out of out the jumbo.
not so much that they are running from a heavy set, it's that the opposing D has no fear of the pass from a heavy set.
Show it to them a couple times, regardless of a completion, will create doubt.
A little doubt gives TG30 a much better chance to break one.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Gurley is not Dickerson. He needs a lane. If the passing O ever gets going, he will be fine. Nothing he did last year made me think he was a game changer without help.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Nothing he did last year made me think he was a game changer without help.
giphy.gif

Where did all this so-called help come from last year?

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Kendricks is really emerging as a weapon. Case tends to be late to him for some reason, if they can get that fixed he's going to be a weekly productive player because he just looks like he's got it figured out.

Kendricks has been great the last couple seasons. Glad he's the #1 TE cause he's got good hands and does a decent job of blocking. He's a hell of a lot better than Cook.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gurley is not Dickerson. He needs a lane. If the passing O ever gets going, he will be fine. Nothing he did last year made me think he was a game changer without help.

Dude, are you on crack?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think only an effective Passing game will accomplish this!! We need to get Cooper-Spruce Thomas involved! Britt is Great, but we need more!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kendricks has been great the last couple seasons. Glad he's the #1 TE cause he's got good hands and does a decent job of blocking. He's a hell of a lot better than Cook.

He's been OK. But this year there is a significant difference in his pass catching. He is smoother and his hands are way better, the guy has made a big stride in terms of how good he is, and now he looks like the guy they paid him to be.

I think Lilly's impact as TE coach is partly to thank for that. Boras is wrapped in the OC duties, and meanwhile our TEs as a group have really progressed. Even to the point where the rookie Higbee might be able to add a little to the mix.

fearsomefour

Legend
He's been OK. But this year there is a significant difference in his pass catching. He is smoother and his hands are way better, the guy has made a big stride in terms of how good he is, and now he looks like the guy they paid him to be.

I think Lilly's impact as TE coach is partly to thank for that. Boras is wrapped in the OC duties, and meanwhile our TEs as a group have really progressed. Even to the point where the rookie Higbee might be able to add a little to the mix.
Same guy he has been the last couple of years.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
giphy.gif

Where did all this so-called help come from last year?
Yeah, I should not have been posting in the inebriated state I was in. Statement retracted.