Head Coaches who Lose Their First Super Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW, not easy for a Head Coach to lose a Super Bowl and come back win one, it's happened twice since the 70's with Dick Vermeil coming back to win with the Rams after losing to the Raiders as Eagle Head Coach and then Bill Cowher did losing in 1995 to Dallas and coming back to win it in 2005 against Seattle, so just twice since 1978, when Landry won another one against the Broncos...Now there have been plenty, to win their first one and then get back and lose, but not the other way around, so let's hope that Andy Reid gets it done because Sean McVay is now in this category.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean and his current team will be back ... to win!

Well, yeah, hopefully he's like Lombardi who lost his first Post Season Game to the Eagles, then went 9-1, but it just has not happened often of late...For a while, it was automatic, Colts, Cowboys & Dolphins, but since then it's rare.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If you stretch back into the 60's, Don Shula lost his first Super Bowl as coach of the Colts, vs. the Jets.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you stretch back into the 60's, Don Shula lost his first Super Bowl as coach of the Colts, vs. the Jets.

I mentioned that, it happpened with Tom Landry too, losing to the Colts in 1971 and coming back to destroy Miami in 72 and then Shula does it in 73, but again, it has not happened since 2005 and before that 99-2000 with eyes right.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Coach McVay is the right guy. Question is are the rest of the pieces around him. Is Snead good enough? We like him around here but he has been a bit free and easy with draft collateral in the Watkins and Peters moves.

It's about the entire organization IMO when it comes to that not just the head coach.

dang

Legend
I am losing interest in the 1 year contracts (Suh, Peters for 1.5, Weddle?, Matthews?). It seems more trouble than it’s worth.