HDTV question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I have an LG LED. I've been trying and failing to tinker with the adjustments to get the best picture.

My biggest problem is all the pixilation from straight surfaces, like the score board. I see jagged lines and pixels all the time. I go to a sports bar and I see no pixels. If it helps, my tv also has options for "super resolution", "gamma", "MPEG Reduction", and "Real Cinema".

Also, backlight, contrast, brightness I think I got those right where I want them but I want to know what you guys have them on.

Thanks for any input.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This may be a silly question.... but you do have a true HD signal / box from your cable provider don't you ?

Many folks don't realize that they need this when they get HD for the 1st time.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure do. HDMI cables hooked up and everything. In fact a few days ago we had a technician over and showed us we weren't getting 100% signal, so he improved that and made it even better.

Just trying to get rid of those damn jagged pixels across scoreboards and straight surfaces.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When you go to a Sports bar, is it also a LG tv? Because some TVs are obviously better than others, or else they'd all be the same price. I have two different flat screens in the house too, and they have different quality pictures (Westinghouse and Sony).

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
LG is not the best LED to be honest. LG is the same company as Zeneth. Your best pictures come from Sharp and Samsung from what I've seen. (I sell them for a living) LG is good for the price, also tho, how old are your HDMI cables? I would recommend trying a High Speed HDMI- a lot of what is being thrown out now isn't handled as well as the standards. Also, if you watch 3D or any of that, it will be a better picture.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
El Juggernauto said:
LG is not the best LED to be honest. LG is the same company as Zeneth. Your best pictures come from Sharp and Samsung from what I've seen. (I sell them for a living) LG is good for the price, also tho, how old are your HDMI cables? I would recommend trying a High Speed HDMI- a lot of what is being thrown out now isn't handled as well as the standards. Also, if you watch 3D or any of that, it will be a better picture.
You know anything about Westinghouse TVs? I have one in my bedroom. Not LED ... just HD. I have high speed HDMIs, and a HD receiver from Comcast, and the picture is brilliant. I got it on clearance, so I wasn't expecting much, but it's a really great picture (to me at least).

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't know a lot about them, we really only sell the brands that folks know. But, that being said, I have never heard a single bad thing about them. Infact, I have only heard good things about the picture.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
El Juggernauto said:
I don't know a lot about them, we really only sell the brands that folks know. But, that being said, I have never heard a single bad thing about them. Infact, I have only heard good things about the picture.
Westinghouse has been around since TVs were invented, so I have no idea why they weren't one of the front-runners in the HDTV market. But I suspect it's because they put more focus on kitchen appliances and stuff like that and let the TVs fall by the wayside. Who knows.

Angry Ram

X said:
When you go to a Sports bar, is it also a LG tv? Because some TVs are obviously better than others, or else they'd all be the same price. I have two different flat screens in the house too, and they have different quality pictures (Westinghouse and Sony).

Depends. Usually I see Sonys and Vizios.

El Juggernauto said:

Cables aren't that old couple years. The overall picture is amazing and it's just the itty bitty issue to get perfection.

It (is) problem on my Samsung LCD as well (about 5 years old), but that's not my primary.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Cables being a couple years old matter, you don't have high speed then. I'm not saying its your problem, but it's not helping. As far as the HD stuff, is it when ur watching a live event? I know that tends to mudder things a bit, especially if its a dish.

Angry Ram

Usually it's just still things like the logo in the corner or a scoreboard.

I did a final tinker during MNF and I finally got it to look just the way I like. Still see random pixels around the still stuff.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:

I did a final tinker during MNF and I finally got it to look just the way I like. Still see random pixels around the still stuff.
OK, those TV's have a lot of boosters.adjustments. Turn them all off, your mpeg correction, and any motion enhancements. Start from there, then lower the sharpness until you get better edges. Try that.

Angry Ram

DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

OK, those TV's have a lot of boosters.adjustments. Turn them all off, your mpeg correction, and any motion enhancements. Start from there, then lower the sharpness until you get better edges. Try that.

Alright, I'll try that tonight. Thanks Dr.